Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BNP leader to appear on Question Time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Tories probably happy with that show. Labour got quite a blasting over immigration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

The BNP hasn't murdered or invaded any countries.I'd vote for them there better than what's going these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The BNP hasn't murdered or invaded any countries.

Maybe so, but the fact that Britain has, has led to the "problem" they want to erase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Nick Griffin is a smart lad (for a given value of smart obviously) and him/others from his party appearing on Sky News, QT etc. has always gained them what they wanted - attention and possibly supporters.

When they appear on topical shows the presenter, guests and anyone else present are always climbing over themselves and each other to have their say and rant and roar at him and make themselves look like utter tits in the process.

The only way to reduce support is to ignore them, however the media will obviously think that they will sell newspapers etc. and continue giving them loads of coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The BNP hasn't murdered or invaded any countries.I'd vote for them there better than what's going these days.
    Let's see, institutionalised hypocrisy or institutionalised racism with the views I listed a page or two back.....

Hard choice. I think I'd accept the hypocrisy if I had to take one. It wasn't that hard a choice. With Griffin's views on WW2, you get the hypocrisy thrown in for free with him too but you have to accept the racism, revisionism and repulsion as well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Right, can anyone post up a link to the interview?

Also, as people keep calling him a Holocaust 'Revisionist' there is obviously clear and conclusive evidence to back this point, something alongthe lines of a Quote atributed to him which can be verified, or evenbetter still a video of him making some sort of claim.

Otherwise its just a smear campaign, and whatever about posters repeating the alegations without evience I'd find it rather odd that a Moderator would do so.

sceptre wrote: »
    Let's see, institutionalised hypocrisy or institutionalised racism with the views I listed a page or two back.....

Hard choice. I think I'd accept the hypocrisy if I had to take one. It wasn't that hard a choice. With Griffin's views on WW2, you get the hypocrisy thrown in for free with him too but you have to accept the racism, revisionism and repulsion as well.

I read you reply a few pages back and this stuck out.

"He's the leader of a band of racist idiots"
    there's no such thing as a black Welshman,
    referring to gay people as repulsive
    praising the SS
    criticising the RAF for bombing Germany in WW2,
    saying that global warming is a hoax,
    saying that Islam is a "wicked and vicious faith"
    confirm his party as racist idiots in the future.

I highlighted where I agree with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm highly impressed, by the amount of boardsies sounding out in defence of free speech. To be honest I expected more of a 'ban the nazis' response.
    I've always felt that any social engineering project, such as banning political parties, or holocaust denial laws just drive opinions underground and foster the myth of the repressed minority 'fighting the good fight' amongst extremist groups. You only need to look at extreme nationalists in Germany and Austria to see this effect.
    I say give these groups a public platform and allow them to spread their message within the same framework as everyone else. When forced to debate their views out in the open I have faith that the vast majority will have the common sense and the moral compass to vote responsibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

In my opinion, last night's Question Time was pretty painful to watch. Everybody knows the BNP are biggoted racists, but the other panelists spent more time addressing the audience and trying to score browny points than actually scrutinising Nick Griffin's "policies".

The man got off far too lightly, got an easy ride and gave as good as he got, in some instances. If I'd wanted to see a load of people smack talking somebody for an hour I'd have tuned into The Jeremy Kyle Show, or some such tripe.

Disappointed to say the least. Although, I didn't expect much more to be honest.

And you know whats amusing, no one on here is talking about the parties policies either.He was voted in and has every right to be on the bbc as any other politician.

What about this poor ****er who went to war on another parties policies.

Make sure you listen to the part about him being on 50 quid a week and waiting one year for a house in his own country.Some people live in the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

praising the SS

Well, at least we can gauge why I dislike him more.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭misstierney

It wasn't an interview, it was an attack on the poor man. The audience was full of idiot lefties. As if the over the top PC BBC would actually grow a pair and let BNP supporters in. And all those liberal knobs that are all for "free speech", outside protesting. Just not when the speech is about something they do not agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Did anyone else find it laughable how at the very first WW2 question Griffin turned it into a "my daddys bigger than your daddy" nonsense?

I thought Bonny Greer and Chris Huhne were the most effective at showing up Griffin for what he is, an absolute idiot without fact or logic on his side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I loved Bonny Greer. She was far more effective at hitting back at Griffin's rubbish than any of the actual British politicians on the panel - bring her back again soon!

Ir was depressing not to see the waster with his tinted twisted version of history, not be pinned down and exposed more so for the sheer daftness of his parties policies.
    He got off light and I suspect afterwards he went out somewhere to celebrate big time!

If this is the way Britain is heading in a sick direction, we should be careful.
    If Britain sneezes, sometimes we catch an eventual cold too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

And you know whats amusing, no one on here is talking about the parties policies either.He was voted in and has every right to be on the bbc as any other politician.

What about this poor ****er who went to war on another parties policies.

Make sure you listen to the part about him being on 50 quid a week and waiting one year for a house in his own country.Some people live in the real world.

I've heard said often that the British army are terrible at looking after their vets, so that's worth baring in mind. That is a ridiculous situation, I agree.

We are all talking about the party's policies. They are racist policies, and the BNP are a racist party. This is backed up by their party constitution. I fully support the BBCs decision to have him on the show, he IS an elected representative and a party leader, and he had every right to be there. We have to give free speech to the racists to, painfu las it may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Biggins wrote: »
    I loved Bonny Greer. She was far more effective at hitting back at Griffin's rubbish than any of the actual British politicians on the panel - bring her back again soon!

Ir was depressing not to see the waster with his tinted twisted version of history, not be pinned down and exposed more so for the sheer daftness of his parties policies.
    He got off light and I suspect afterwards he went out somewhere to celebrate big time!

If this is the way Britain is heading in a sick direction, we should be careful.
    If Britain sneezes, sometimes we catch an eventual cold too.
    ireland has had the virus for many years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

getz wrote: »
    Ireland has had the virus for many years

Sadly true.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

praising the SS

Somebody better tell this guy he is not Welsh. :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Malcolm

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

Biggins wrote: »
    Sadly true.

The "virus" does tend to breed quite well in certain environments.

Botched and deeply unpopular immigration policies - outright abuse of asylum systems that bleed public coffers dry - infantile political correctness when dealing with such issues etc all come to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Having just watched the show I have to say I'm somewhat dissapointed. I thought Nick Griffen did ok, managed to keep his cool and deflected anything which could possibly have hurt him. I feel too much of the programme was given to the generality of all that it abhorent about the BNP and that there was no real thrust into the shallowness of BNP policy.

I agree that the BBC was right to invite him onto the show. I had hoped that Griffen would be shown up more but I doubt that those who think like me, those who are BNP voters or those who are disinterested will have changed their opinions of the BNP in any way.

Big winners tonight were the BBC, Griffen to an extent and Bonnie Greer. Not sure anyone else really stood out or made any sucker punches. Pity.... would have loved to have seen his buttons pushed and for the real Nick Griffen to have been exposed. That said I did like the way Bonnie Greer dealt with his drivel on a few occassions.

the muslim lady who is from the conservative party was the outstanding contributor , griffin came across as a bit of a fool really , got his points mixed up several times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the only reason this man got any kind of backing ,was that people wanted to give the ruling party a kick up the arse,there is always some points in his arguments that people will pick up on,and say ;yes i can relate to that ,but it doesent meen they agree on any of his poisoness rants,rest assured after the next election he will be back on small columns of newspapers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MattReilly

the crowd were a rabble, the black woman on the panel seemed dumb.

One against the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MattReilly

True, as Griffin said, he is accused of hating muslims, and yet if was the Labout government who launched an illegal war to kill millions of them.

The rabble are thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

irish_bob wrote: »
    the muslim lady who is from the conservative party was the outstanding contributor , griffin came across as a bit of a fool really , got his points mixed up several times

Was this the woman who said there was no such thing as a bogus asylum seeker and accused Griffin of trying to discredit Christianity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The BNP hasn't murdered or invaded any countries..

Because they haven't had the chance.

Do you think removing non-white people from Britain would be a pleasant sort of business?
    I'd vote for them there better than what's going these days.

A well thought out phillosophy. I see you've devoted time to this.
    Also, as people keep calling him a Holocaust 'Revisionist' there is obviously clear and conclusive evidence to back this point, something alongthe lines of a Quote atributed to him which can be verified, or evenbetter still a video of him making some sort of claim..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7Dygboz4Ew

• Registered Users Posts: 56,038 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No such thing as a bogus asyleum seeker? That was the most inaccurate stament from the lot from last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

I though he came across as a complete joke last night, his ideologies were tripped up time and time again and he couldn't give straight answers so he tried to laugh off alot of what was said. In other political shows, he's been able to worm his way around his core BNP policies and attack other parties but he struggled last night to do that.

He's complaining that he was treated unfairly on the show but the vast majority of people find his views abhorrent and so it's going to be reflected on a audience political debate show. That's the nature of it, I expect Jacqui Smith will get a hard time next week for different reasons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

It wasn't an interview, it was an attack on the poor man. The audience was full of idiot lefties. As if the over the top PC BBC would actually grow a pair and let BNP supporters in. And all those liberal knobs that are all for "free speech", outside protesting. Just not when the speech is about something they do not agree with.

The BNP supporters are too ashamed to be seen on television

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭misstierney

rovert wrote: »
    The BNP supporters are too ashamed to be seen on television

Why? They have nothing to be ashamed of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Thought the BBC were supposed to be impartial. It was pretty much an ambush. Should have had someone from UKIP on as well. Or dare I say it Kevin Myers might have added some balance hehe

Advertisement