Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place in athlone for a bit of lunchtime grub??

Options
  • 22-10-2009 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

for such a big town as athlone its hard to get a decent lunch in the middle of town.

Some good places are the shack and the bounty but there is nowhere decent in the centre of town when your on a tight schedule

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Poppy fields does a good lunch.
    The charcoal grill is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

+1 to The charcoal and poppy fields

Also, The Gallery do a sweet full Irish all day. And I'm a fan of their cajun chicken wraps too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The Mad Hoor is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

where is the gallery rooster?? yeah im a fan of the charcol grill myself. Used to go to the prince alot but lately its been hit and miss with the quality. If i have time I like to go to the bounty or the slice of life up on connaught street. any1 been in that gourmet burger place? i hear alan rooney is managing it now

The Gallery is up the street from the old Sony centre. Roly Polys was across the road. Basically, its the next street over from the charcoal grill

• Advertisement

must check it out

Was in it today. Cajun chicken wrap and wedges. Lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Supermacs

New 5 oz burger

Nyom nyom nyom!

went into gallery. was yum!! even had a little dessert....and a hot chocolate to wash it down!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I was in de mad hoor yesterday. Have to say was fairly impressed. 7e for a decent homemade burger, nice chips and a drink. Fairly good value but you couldn't eat every day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Tweenas

i like the harvest cafe in the town centre. Wide aisles great if you have a buggy, carvery lunch for a tenner

no harvest cafe isnt nice. its just an extension to the hotel with dull hotel food. only does well cos no where else in shopping centre to compete with it.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

athlonelad wrote: »
    no harvest cafe isnt nice. its just an extension to the hotel with dull hotel food. only does well cos no where else in shopping centre to compete with it.
    :pac:

I've only been in there once, food was fairly bad and the place was filthy. Might just have been a 1 off but 1st impressions last.

Was in De Mad Hoor the other week and was impressed. Decent prices and damn tasty burgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Tweenas

I disagree I have been there loads of times with the kids and i fine the staff very helpful, the food is good I particualrly like the carvery and there is a baby changing area in the back which is very handy. Never seen it filthy. Also like the Poppyfields for lunch nice place to meet and sandwiches are a bit pricey but decent size portions.

overall its hard to beat the slice of life up on connaught street but its a bit of a trek from the middle of town if ur pushed for time i reckon

Advertisement