Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog and Postman

Options
  • 22-10-2009 7:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭

He's such a cliche I know, dog going after postman?

ok in the last few weeks my terrier has been going crazy as soon as he hears the clanking of the post box in the morning. He's no threat to the postman but wakes everyone up with his convulsive barking. There are two dogs,the first, older one is a bit feisty and has always barked at the postman, and now this guy seems to just want blood!How do i get him to stop as it quite embarressing and wakes everyone up in the morning

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

The problem with the postman/postwoman is that the dog barks at him/her and then they go away so in the dogs head it was them that got rid of the intruder. Because this is reinforced everyday a bad habit is formed very quickly and it's hard to break. My lot go mental when the post arrives, and also when people approach the door. It started with one and now they all do it. I, personally, don't mind it too much because the barking stops when the postperson leaves and they don't attack my post so I only have to put up with 10 seconds of barking.

Desensitisation is probably the best way to deal with this. If it is the approach of the postman/postwoman, then get someone the dogs don't really know (but you know obviously) to put on a hat (just any hat) and come up to the door. The second the barking starts, they should stop moving and you correct the dogs. Then, once they are quiet, the person starts moving again. Treats and masses of praise should be given if the dogs are quiet, even if only for 5 seconds. Gradually, the dogs will get it that they are not to bark at people coming to the door. Reinforce it when people are really coming to the door with treats for quietness.

If, on the other hand, it's the post coming in the door get someone to put post in the door for you, making sure they make loads of clanking with the mail slot. Same idea as before - stop whatever is going on (even if someones hand is halfway through the door), correction for barking by you and continuing with the activity when they stop. Loads of praise and something tasty when they are quiet for any length of time. If they attack your post, just get the fake postperson to pop a few treats in with the post, they will associate the post with nice stuff and not feel the need to destroy it. The dog will eventually get that there is no need to bark at the post. It may take some time, could be over one hundred times before it clicks

The key is consistency, you have to do this method every time something comes through the door. Even if the dogs have gotten the idea, every so often give them treats for being quiet at the door. It's very tedious but works and will save everybodies sleep in the long run! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭cosnochta

Another idea is to get one of those little mail boxes that you can mount on the front of your house and then there is no post coming in your front door at all anymore.

Advertisement