Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Design work for company van signage

• 22-10-2009 8:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭

Just a quickie here. I want to get signage including logo etc done for a van (side, front and rear). If I design it myself using adobe photoshop and leave the image layered can I bring this to a sign company and will they be able to work from my photoshop image. I want specific fonts, colours and layout.

I am pretty handy with photoshop. Will this reduce what the company charges if they don't have to go through the actual design stage?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

absolutely not - leave it to the professionals, if anything you’ll only slow down the process, waste your own time and in the end it’ll cost you more.

just contact a decent signage company and leave it to them, they do it day in and day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I worked for a company a few years back that supplied signwriting software, and equipment. Software for this industry is years behind the likes of photoshop/gimp, it's designed to create text, shadows, simple shapes, and then output individual colours to vinyl plotters (Which your photoshop file won't be able to do, as it won't have vectors), or to output everything as one digital image to a digital printer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

things are a bit different now though, you can just do it all in illy and tile/plan it out on the rip, high quality large format full colour vinyl printing has moved on a fair bit in the last few years... seems to be replacing cut vinyl for a lot of customers.... ah i miss weeding :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

Yeh most guys use signwriting programs and equipment.

Heard of a people accepting hi-res photoshop files etc.

It all depends, hardly any point asking a forum to be honest, you should contact a few signage companies and find out their requirements, or if they can use photoshop files for final print.

When you do find one (shouldn't be hard) you can get specs off them to what res to design to, what colour space to set to etc.

But you should really be talking with your printer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Thanks for the advice folks. I think I will just print and show. Seems the easiest way from you say. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement