Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dabs.ie will not honour warrenty

Options
  • 22-10-2009 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

i bought a western digital 500gb external hard drive from dabs.ie over a year and a half ago, now the power adapter has stopped working but the hard drive is perfect. i checked the model number on western digitals website and there is a 2 year warranty with it which does not expiry until February 2010. Contacted dabs but they said that "The guarantee with us is a year".....Can they do this or am i entitled to a replacement adapter????

I have tried contacting western digital but they wont answer the 3 emails i sent and cannont get a working phone number for them. Does any1 know or have a contact number for them??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

No they can't do that. Sorry for the short reply but my head is banging at the mo. Somebody else can fill you in with the details.

In short, you are entitled to UP TO 6 years warranty, duration of actual item to be decided by court if needed. Definitely not just 1 year as they stated.

They are just trying to get rid of you. Push them firmly but no aggressively.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

See can you just bypass them, and contact WD directly. Often the companies have a better setup and it's usally quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

having tried contacting W.D. emailed 3 times with no reply but can not get a working telephone number for them, Anyone know of a number for contacting them...

This is the number on their website to contact them but what pre-fix do i use on a number like this????

Ireland (00800- 27549338)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

NoelDoran wrote: »
    having tried contacting W.D. emailed 3 times with no reply but can not get a working telephone number for them, Anyone know of a number for contacting them...

This is the number on their website to contact them but what pre-fix do i use on a number like this????

Have you tried here?

yea thats where i checked to warrenty and its nit up till february 2010 but the only thing is that if i fill out a product replacement form they want me to send everyting back including the hard drive (which is fine) and i have all my work stuff on it, thats why i want to ring them and explain the situation....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

yea thats where i checked to warrenty and its nit up till february 2010 but the only thing is that if i fill out a product replacement form they want me to send everyting back including the hard drive (which is fine) and i have all my work stuff on it, thats why i want to ring them and explain the situation....

I'm sorry but the warranty is for the hard-drive not the data on it. If you want it recovered they are not going to do that, if you want it wiped I doubt they will do anything with that either. But they will most likely bin it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

As I recall they have the premium option where they will send out a new one to you in advance and then you have to return yours in 30 days (require CC as security). Simply use that option and then return the new hdd and old charger, problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

That's international free-phone.

No prefix , but often won't work from a mobile.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I just tried dialing 00800- 27549338 as is from an Irish landline, it works fine without adding +353 or dropping any 0's.

Personally OP I'd recommend dealing directly with WD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'm sorry but the warranty is for the hard-drive not the data on it. If you want it recovered they are not going to do that, if you want it wiped I doubt they will do anything with that either. But they will most likely bin it.

His complaint is with the power adapter.

OP, see if you can borrow a power adapter from a friend, copy your data across somewhere safe, then try?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Often they want the whole unit as the disk may be faulty drawing too much power and blowing a fuse in the power supply.

It stops people having a reoccoring problem. Not saying its right or wrong, but its the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Thoie wrote: »
    His complaint is with the power adapter.

OP, see if you can borrow a power adapter from a friend, copy your data across somewhere safe, then try?

I know, I'm saying he might find them unsympathetic to any concerns about data on the drive. Like above, they may request the whole unit rather then just the supply.

Anyways got through to Western digital today on the phone, and with no hassle at all they will send me a replacement adapter free of charge as it is still under warranty, no question of me having to return the hard drive or nothing like that....So western digital get a big tumbs up from me.................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jimtarot

i bought a western digital 500gb external hard drive from dabs.ie over a year and a half ago, now the power adapter has stopped working but the hard drive is perfect. i checked the model number on western digitals website and there is a 2 year warranty with it which does not expiry until February 2010. Contacted dabs but they said that "The guarantee with us is a year".....Can they do this or am i entitled to a replacement adapter????

I have tried contacting western digital but they wont answer the 3 emails i sent and cannont get a working phone number for them. Does any1 know or have a contact number for them??

In Ireland all shops have a 12mont' guarantee only and that is that the law is the law!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

jimtarot wrote: »
    In Ireland all shops have a 12mont' guarantee only and that is that the law is the law!

Eh? The law states that all products must last for a reasonable period. Nowhere does it say anything about a 12 month time limit. Guarantees or warranties are in addition to your statutory rights, and are not legally binding or final. Many guarantees go beyond 1 year too, often to 3, 5, or 7 years. They are always in addition to your legal statutory rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

jimtarot wrote: »

Back that up with fact or gtfo!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ch750536 wrote: »
    Back that up with fact or gtfo!
    There is nothing to back up; jor el has already pointed out the flaw of the argument and I think we're still at least a month away from another law qouting argument.

This is of course beyond the fact that the OP issue is resolved to satisfaction for all involved parties.

Advertisement