Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sick fish

Options
  • 22-10-2009 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

we have a young gold fish who a few days ago had a few small red spots on his side now this morning he is really ill looking.He looks as if all his gold scales are gone compleatly from is dorsal fin back to the start of his tail,,,could this really happen over night??? as he was fine last night..Or is it that there is something growing on him ,,a fungus??Is there anything i can get in the pet shop to treat him???
    Any advice???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

i see your in Cork, if you pop down to a local pet shop they have fish medicines, these have little books inside which detail different problems i would start there - someone on here will also probably get back to you - hope it's OK

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

thanks for that ,,i'm going to head down to the local in a min,(pet shop that is not pub) ,hate to see anything happen to him,he's only small,,And the aquarium was a birthday pressie for my 7 year old ,she'll go mad if she see's him like this she loves them.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

I asked a friend here in work who breeds fish

"Could be several things, not a fungus though. Either a bacterial infection, TB or an ulcer. Would need to see the fish to give you a definite diagnosis. There are treatment for bacterial infection and ulcers but for the money you can buy several goldfish. Diseases in fish generally only break out if there is an underlying water quality issue. Buy a test kit, get your water sorted and then introduce fish again. No point getting new fish if the water isn’t right."

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

Paul91 wrote: »
    I asked a friend here in work who breeds fish

"Could be several things, not a fungus though. Either a bacterial infection, TB or an ulcer. Would need to see the fish to give you a definite diagnosis. There are treatment for bacterial infection and ulcers but for the money you can buy several goldfish. Diseases in fish generally only break out if there is an underlying water quality issue. Buy a test kit, get your water sorted and then introduce fish again. No point getting new fish if the water isn’t right."
    could be the water but i did a half water change a few days ago and added in the tap water conditoner and another additive to balance the water,,,maybe i didnt give right amount?? thanks any way,,poor thing looks like its been dipped in suncream..:(

Advertisement