Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tracksuit nation

• 22-10-2009 9:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

When I came to Ireland I noticed that your sense of fashion left alot to be desired. Huge amounts of people were tracksuits. Sometimes i even see whole families wearing tracksuits. Why do so many people wear tracksuits?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Comfort, laziness, washability, affordability, no dress sense, skangers, etc...
    One or more of the above - take your pick depending on that you believe - and I suspect you think already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Tracksuits FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

SLUSK wrote: »
    When I came to Ireland I noticed that your sense of fashion left alot to be desired. Huge amounts of people were tracksuits. Sometimes i even see whole families wearing tracksuits. Why do so many people wear tracksuits?

I'm not wearing a track suit. In fact, I'm not wearing anything.

What are you wearing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

What country do you come from? Just, you know, so we can make generalisations about the fashion sense where you come from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Abigayle wrote: »
    In fact, I'm not wearing anything.

/boner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Because we're all so active and like to be able to hit the track at a moments notice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

What country do you come from? Just, you know, so we can make generalisations about the fashion sense where you come from.

He comes from Sweden. By his own admission he is an unemployed obese man living off his mother and father in their home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

From Sweden, normal Swedish men look like this.
    http://mildatilda.blogg.se/images/2007/stockholmmedmera_056_1185928495_4333934.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Gay?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

Wearing Tracksuits makes it easier to Hop peoples back garden fences, Inject heroin, Shop lift, run from the guards, can still be worn while pregnant... Just makes good sense

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Banned for trolling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

Us Irish and our terrible dress sense, we should get Gok over here to sort this tracksuit wearing nation out, every last one of us!!! Every where I go people are wearing them, in the office and all of them just wearing their tracksuits like they were at the gym!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Meh, your English leaves alot to be desired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Bit of upskirt in the background of that pic, i like sweden!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

TheZohan wrote: »
    Banned for trolling

I actually thought that was a mod edit and you were banned for a second.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

/boner

you're ending your boner because of that? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Why do so many people wear tracksuits?

Exactly what I was thinking when watching the Stephen Gately funeral. I thought it was product placement for Nike!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mise23

Used to live in Dublin (thank God I don't live there anymore). Regularly saw women walking around in pyjamas in the middle of the day, wtf. Definitely not a good look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Meh, your English leaves alot to be desired.

No. The OP is literally pointing out that "Huge amounts of people were tracksuits" and he's absolutely correct.

I myself existed as a tracksuit for a brief period in the nineties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭JonThom

So. Many. Athletes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

If Ben Stiller had been wearing a tracksuit instead of a pants in 'There's Something About Mary', he could have avoided that nasty zipper incident. Just goes to show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    No. The OP is literally pointing out that "Huge amounts of people were tracksuits" and he's absolutely correct.

:eek:

Did you get worn out :D?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Ye i know,i was in this place this morning where i work out and they were just everywhere...Its a pandemic and it looked like they where all training for some sort of invasion:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

students have to be the worst for manky tracksuits.
    the male student, in his fear of being mistaken for a skanger wears a ridiculous combination of a tracksuit which resmbles something a woman would wear (no offence)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

London 2012- in case there are any leftover grants going spare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

00112984 wrote: »
    London 2012- in case there are any leftover grants going spare.

Oh that made me giggle like a school girl!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

So were you a classic Reebok or Adidas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

What are you wearing?

I can't believe nobody has said Pics or GTFO yet

Anyway I only really wear tracksuits when exercising. I'm too Americanised:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

you're ending your boner because of that? :confused:

I don't take long..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

So were you a classic Reebok or Adidas?

I was Fila myself.

The Beastie Boys wore me on the Ill Communication tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

I was Fila myself.

The Beastie Boys wore me on the Ill Communication tour.
    I was Classic Reebok-blue with the bright green logo on the front.

I was worn by a skanger in Cork:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Does anyone remember the Liverpool inspired male fashion trend in Tallaght in the mid '80s?

Shell tracksuits, perms (yes perms) and dodgy tashes :eek:
    Oh the humanity...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

What are you talking about op :confused: I have barely seen a girl wearing a tracksuit since 1990 :D You must have been in the ghettos ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

So were you a classic Adidas?

Can't beat the old Beckenbauer type trackie bottoms for walking/lazing round the house. I even wear them if I'm driving to the shop or going out for a stroll. I like the old classic Adidas trackie tops too, like the Firebird and so on.

It's only dodgy when you start wearing them to the pub, into town or anywhere outside a local context. Wearing a full trackie unless you're out for a jog or playing ball is a tiny bit dodge (imo) too.

And anyway, you see hordes of middle-class Tango ladies and rugby types in what is basically "leisure wear" all over Dublin and nobody bats an eyelid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

What are you wearing?

'abigayle posts she's wearing nothing and I jizz in my pants'

Does anyone remember the Liverpool inspired male fashion trend in Tallaght in the mid '80s?

Shell tracksuits, perms (yes perms) and dodgy tashes :eek:
    Oh the humanity...

That wasnt just tallaght it was finglas ballymun coolock in fact it was everywhere yuck i hated it :( Thank god i marched to beat of my own drum and still do :P lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

My shellsuit, which I got in 1990, was navy and pinky purple. Then I got a turquoise one. Thought I was the ****ing bomb. Actually the navy one wasn't too bad - the bottoms were pretty cool.
    Aidric wrote: »
    If Ben Stiller had been wearing a tracksuit instead of a pants in 'There's Something About Mary', he could have avoided that nasty zipper incident. Just goes to show.
    He learned his lesson - seen The Royal Tannenbaums?

No?

Well, not the perms anyway. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Don't hate on the tracksuits. Wearing one now. If I'm not in work, and I'm not out at a social even I'm wearing a tracksuit or shorts.

Slag them all you want, but no other clothing offers the kind of ball jiggling versatility that my fookin huge white shiny trackie does :D

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    And anyway, you see hordes of middle-class Tango ladies and rugby types in what is basically "leisure wear" all over Dublin and nobody bats an eyelid.
    They wear trackies too - those velour ones with stuff written across the arse. I have to say I do bat an eyelid - scrunch up my eyes with pain actually - when they start talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Dudess wrote: »
    They wear trackies too - those velour ones with stuff written across the arse. I have to say I do bat an eyelid - scrunch up my eyes with pain actually - when they start talking.

When I see them I bat something else...

My shellsuit, which I got in 1990, was navy and pinky purple. Then I got a turquoise one. Thought I was the ****ing bomb. Actually the navy one wasn't too bad - the bottoms were pretty cool.

He learned his lesson - seen The Royal Tannenbaums?
    http://lovemagick.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/dsc01160.jpg :D

I think got a little worse when the bf gf thing happened and they wore matching one lmao :eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

OP it is the lower classes that wear tracksuits, they are like prison jumpsuits, bright and colourful to warn passers by of the wearers poor morals, low intelligence and penchant for violence, and the light fabric is designed so as not to reduce the impact of a constables baton.

OP it is the lower classes that wear tracksuits, they are like prison jumpsuits, bright and colourful to warn passers by of the wearers poor morals, low intelligence and penchant for violence, and the light fabric is designed so as not to reduce the impact of a constables baton.

Lmao :D

I'm a bit bemused by how some people look back at the early '90s and only associate shellsuits with "skangers". They were worn by anyone, possibly including by those who now associate them with skangers.

I feel a shell suit nostalgia moment coming on...

I'm a bit bemused by how some people look back at the early '90s and only associate shellsuits with "skangers". They were worn by anyone, possibly including by those who now associate them with skangers.

I honestly never liked them fashion wise.But definitely once the junkies starting wearing them and everyone else,they became fashion horror movie :D

Attack of the shell suits :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Sure I used to have a shaved head and chains, and always wore a tracky top, jeans and runners.

But that was because I was a culchie new in dublin, we wore that sh1te to be fashionable :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I never really understood those crazy people whose basis for disliking certain clothes was because they were 'unfashionable'.

That's not even a real reason!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement