Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to Kinsale on the 1st-3rd Of November

Options
  • 22-10-2009 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

Hey

I'm heading to Kinsale on the 1st of November for 3 nights. Does anybody have any suggestion of what to do? We're staying in the Trident Kinsale. Thanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭glanman

Charles fort is pretty cool if weather is nice. Food is good in most places around the town. Fishy Fishy is the best regarded but I'm sure there is better too! If you plau golf there is some very good courses. Walking trails would be pretty good around there too.

Go into Cork city, only 25 mins away. English market is a must. UCC is pretty nice.

Its a good launching point so maybe plan a day trip or two down along the coast/west cork. As far as I know there isn't a huge amount to do in Kinsale other than drink or eat that will take more than a day.

Obviously weather will dictate a lot but I remember looking at a long term forecast last week, from the guy from NZ who always gets it right, and it is dry at the end of the month so you might get a good spell that weekend.

Here is a link to that weather:

https://www.predictweather.co.nz/assets/articles/article_resources.php?id=143

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

Kinsale

Heritage

Charles fort (outside kinsale cork side)
    Wine muesem (old tower house in kinsale town)
    Activites
    Surf lesson in garretstown/inchydoney.
    Ghost tour - kinsale
    Fishing.
    Eat out
    Thai cottage - great food.
    Dinos - for traditional fish & chips

Further west
    Rathbarry has a few good walks. Expecally the ruined church, Clonakilty railway village & Debarras pub clonakilty - good music, atmosphere.

Even further west.

Bantry house, garnish island, glengarrif park & Gougaune barra park.

Debarras guide for those nights below

Sunday 1st
    YURODNY,
    Taking its name from the memoirs of Dmitri Shostakovich, Yurodny was founded by Dublin based saxophonist/composer Nick Roth. The ensemble takes jazz audiences down the road less often travelled, borrowing freely from the rich traditions of Eastern Europe’s ethnic diasporas and mixing this with its own unique Irish jazz flavour.

Yurodny play Debarras this month after headlining the Guinness Cork Jazz Festival and its gonna be special to witness such a spectacle in the intimate folk club.

Tickets €5 Doors: 9pm
    www.myspace.com/yurodny

Monay 2nd
    TRADITIONAL IRISH SESSION,
    At the heart of this popular weekly session are a collection of musicians & songsters, whose combined experiences of performing, locally and internationally, along with their diverse musical interests produce a vibrant, but easy going experience of the best in traditional music & ballads.
    FEAT:
    Dennis Noonan on Bodhrán & bones sings in a uniquely laid back style, drawing material from his native Dublin as well as Ulster & Scotland. The late Frank Harte would have thrilled at his deliveries of some of the more humourous and bawdy ballads.
    Tommy Madden can lay claim to a lifetimes experience playing across the USA, England & Scotland and at venues all over Ireland, Playing with many legendary musicians. His bewildering knowledge of balladry draws on a wide range of material from Europe, America & Australia covering military, humourous, industrial, rural, urban and romantic songs.
    Jerry Lombard served his time with some of the greatest musicians ever to play in Ireland, England and America. He has a seemingly endless repertoire of tunes and an equally extensive collection of tales and yarns to entertain one and all. Jerry’s lively playing style matches his attitude to life, music and the Craic.
    Cathal hickey is the banjo driver of the group. An extraordinary talent, Cathal is a true master of the 4 string tenor banjo, and has played extensively at home and abroad. He is also regarded as one of the finest music teachers in the south west. Cathal’s wizardry enables him to adapt to the mood, stretching from avalanches of speed banjo- while still maintaining carefully crafted phrases, to mellow, rolling lines which he employs to accompany the singers- a true craftsman!
    Musicians and music lovers travel from far and wide to these sessions and as such this core crew often encourage guest musicians to take part in the proceedings.
    No Cover Doors: 9pm

Tuesday 3rd
    ACOUSTIC SESSION,
    Hosted by Kev McNally, this is music as it should be, no ego, no downloads, no MYSPACE no bull****. All are welcome and encouraged to participate.
    10pm No Cover

Wednesday 4th
    DEBARRAS SITTING ROOM,
    The return of Songs from the intimate setting of the Debarras sitting room, hosted by Gavin Moore with some very special guests.
    Tickets €5 Doors: 9pm
    www.myspace.com/thesittingroomsessions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Awesome thanks alot guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Not a lot I can add, cause these guys have most things covered. What I would suggest through from personal experience would be:

1. Avoid Fishy Fishy unless you really feel you have to....it can be Wishy Washy....but since things have quietened down some, might be a bit better. When its packed in summer, the place implodes.
    2. Max's Wine Bar in Main St is just as good for fish IMO and any thing else. You can't go wrong here.
    3. Jim Edwards pub isn't bad, but again can be hit and miss.
    4. Avoid Crackpots, avoid the Bulman, avoid The Spinnaker.
    5. Man Fridays does middle of the road food very well and the waitresses are a hoot.
    6. Try Scilly Walk......takes you out to Charles Fort along the water and then walk back into town along the hill overlooking the town....cracking views. (if you see a guy in a black windcheater, looks like a ruby player, going at a fair clip, say hello, that'll be me! ;)
    7. Go for one of the walking tours around town...otherwise you'll miss lots of the amazing history of this place..yet to do one myself yet, but the guys that do these really seem to give them the beans.
    8. Theres a tourist office close to the main square.......you might spot additional things to do here. They've got free A4 maps. Get lost and these ladies 'll keep you right :)
    9. You can do a boat trip from the harbour/marina a few times a day still I think...goes around the outter harbour.Not done it myself, but when in Rome :)
    10. Oh yeh, the Blue Haven hotel does okay meals, but avoid its cafe cousin a few doors up.
    11. Jolas restaurant is actually supposed to be very good.......its in the street behind Actons Hotel.
    12. Good view from a viewing point on the Ramparts beside the Municiple Buildings.
    13. Drink in the pubs and chat to people, they're incredibly friendly.
    14. As someone else said......park the car in Cork city and stroll around....its an interesting clash of arcitectures ;) and one thing I'd not miss is the English Market and they do a cracking lunch here. Desserts to die for.
    15. I thought there were few good beaches here but the other week someone assured me that theres a place a few miles away (west) called Mile Strand??? Supposed to be a fab beach.
    16. if ya spend time in Cork and feel like dinner there, go to the Silk Purse. Its at 1, Union Quay...and is over the pub on the ground floor.....its across the road from City Hall.....the chef (Paul) is a magician......I promise you!!!! (only about ten minutes liesurely walk from the English Market)
    Anything else, don't hesitate to PM me.....living in Kinsale now and I couldn't recommend the place highly enough.
    Enjoy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Miaireland

The White House does excellent food.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 linette

1) jim edwards best for irish and bar food
    2) mediterraneo is the best italian restaurant in the area
    3) the spaniard is the best pub

Advertisement