Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nails

• 22-10-2009 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi,

I want to do a manicure at home at the weekend but havent a clue what I need to buy to do this. Trying hard to grow my nails at the moment. Any advise Id appreciate

Fiona

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I haven't used it but my aunt swears by YSL's manicure pen kit. It's very easy to use and her nails always look great. Expensive though.
    http://www.harrods.com/HarrodsStore/find/c/beauty/Brand/YSL/p/000000000001544511

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

If you're growing your nails Sally Hanson's Miracle Nail Growth is brilliant. I'm always sceptical of these types of things, but took a chance after hearing a rave review and it really is brilliant, my nails always grew fairly quickly but once they got to a certain point they became weak/prone to breakages. This stuff is great though! (I've seen it on special offer in a few places as it is usually around the €10 mark). It's also a base coat, so you can paint it on then put your colour over it.

There are so many products out there for doing manicures, some of them just have the various varnishes, others also have the sticker things you can put on your nails as a guid for doing the tips, your best bet is to go to one of the bigger chemists/department stores and have a gander at what's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cherrypie

Hi!
    This is what you need:
    Nail polish remover, cotton balls & cotton buds
    Bowl of warm water
    Cuticle pusher & a glass nail file
    Hand lotion & soap
    Base coat, nail polish & a top coat
    Cuiticle oil

First of all apply some of the nail polish remover to a cotton ball and rub over your nails to remove old polish and even just natural oils and residue.

Then soak your fingers in a bowl of warm water for about 15mins. You can add some hand soap or essential oils if you like. The soaking softens your nails and makes the filing easier on them.

Dry your hands off and start to file your nails in one direction only. File your nails into a square shape. Square nails tend to be stronger than round nails since the side of the nails and the tip are even. Push back your cuticles (i.e. the skin where your fingernail meets your finger). Massage the hand lotion into your skin and use an exfoliating scrub on any rough skin. You can make your own exfoliating scrub by adding some sugar to your hand soap.

Apply base coat to your nails. You can buy fortified base coat to help thin weak nails grow. Let the base coat dry completely before applying the colour. Sally Hansen Maximum Growth Plus Nourishing Nail Polish comes in 40 shades & also fortifies your nails. If you need to apply more than one coat of polish make sure to let your nails dry properly between coats. Fix any mistakes with a cotton bud soaked in nail polish remover. Apply a clear top coat, let dry and then finally massage in the cuticle oil.

Thats basically how to give yourself a salon quality manicure at home. If you do this like once a week then you will eventually get there and have lovely, long healthy nails!

Advertisement