Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording from Sky digital to DVD HD recorder-> blocked

Options
  • 22-10-2009 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi

I have had a set up with a Targa DVDHD (DRH5600x) box connected to my standard sky digital setop box using a scart cable. I used to be able to record programs as I wished but recently there appears a message on the screen generated by the targa box "Record blocking signals detected" and the recording stops. I can understand this with premium channels and pay for view but it happens with 90% of the channels including RTE 1 and 2. It does not happen with BBC.

I contacted Sky customer care and they denied using any copy protection on their signal. I changed to set top box for an older one and transferred the card with customer care assistance. This did not remove the problem.

I am using the new white card and the problems seem to have increased after I changed from the old blue one.

The Targa DRH5600x has built in copy protection firmware as I believe all machines are supposed to have by law. The symptions indicate the use of a macrovision type copy protection. There are ways around this but I do not want to go down this route.

I have been a sky customer for several years but if they are going to prevent copying for personal use (without a sky plus system) then it will be time to give up the €70+ subscription.

I already have a Foxsat HDR and UK freesat set top boxes in other rooms.

Sorry for log post but was hoping other posters may have had similar experiences and possible solutions.

Similar threads have appeared on digital spy.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1120183

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=922363

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I flagged this in another thread earlier this month http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055706495
    There are numerous reports of SKY+ subscribers having problems with Macrovision apparently being switched on by the boxes on some programmes (apart from Box Office where they are usually employed). SKY are playing dumb, but it does seem to be an increasing problem since the white cards have been issued. Unclear whether it is deliberate policy being introduced or a "bug" in some firmware / box combinations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ferret

Thanks Fat Tony. I have been stonewalled by sky technical as they are claiming it is a problem with my DVD recorder and they have no responsibility for 3rd party equipment. I am writing to their complaints dept and see if I get any feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I recorded a programme on RTÉ One called One to One from the Sky HD box last week to a DVD recorder with no such issues.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I recorded a programme on RTÉ One called One to One from the Sky HD box last week to a DVD recorder with no such issues.
    That's the main problem - no generalised pattern - most people have no issues, but some individual customers have problems recording some programmes. There seems to be no specific pattern to it, which is why it's difficult to pin down, but there's a wealth of reports out there from people who are affected. The recurring theme is that some boxes are switching on Macrovision when they shouldn't.:(

Dug an old DVD recorder out of the attic and tried that. It shows a recording prohibited message on the screed and will not start recording.

Sky claim that the copy protection is in the broadcast signal and they are not responsible.

Anyway cannot even use their online form for complaints as it wont recognise my phone number and so the form cannot be sent.

What a waste of time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭IrishBazza

This is an attempt by Sky to increase the use of Sky Plus. As their biggest rival (apart from freesat recorders) are DVD Hard Disk Recorder.

In some quarters, this would be seen as anti competitive practice. This issue should be brought to the attention of DVD Hard Disk Recorder manufacturing, as it will hit their sales and distribution, loss of jobs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I'm having a problem recording fims on SKy+ onto my philips DVD recorder - films recorded on RTE1 & TV3 are affected but most Film 4 are fine?

Sky say its a copyright programme signal but I only noticed this problem since I installed their new white card - maybe they are just playing dumb!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I always thought that all non box office content could be recorded with a dvd recorder or whatever for personal use, no hassle. It would be a shame if this was broadly introduced as it appears it would be fairly easy to do so judging by this thread! Sky+ is handy but there's always an odd programme you'd want to transfer to DVD from time to time.

RKQ wrote: »
    I'm having a problem recording fims on SKy+ onto my philips DVD recorder - films recorded on RTE1 & TV3 are affected but most Film 4 are fine?

Sky say its a copyright programme signal but I only noticed this problem since I installed their new white card - maybe they are just playing dumb!:confused:

Every body I spoke to at SKY said the copy protection was put in by the rights holder then this would be Sky themselves, RTE and others.

Sky's online complaint form will not work as it does not accept a Irish phone number.

Sent a fax to the number I was given for the complaints dept 00-44-1506-484334

After a week of contacting Sky and getting the run around I was told that the problem was with my softare and technical would contact me with instuction to make a forced download. I contaced technical myself and followed the instuctions. Found out that my software was up to date.

The technician confirmed that the recording functionality has now been restricted to Sky+ boxes only with the new white cards. This will apply to all the different models of sky boxes over the next few weeks.

The ability to archive from Sky+ boxes will also go.

I requested a letter stating their position on the subject..............Waiting.

This is the end of 7 years with Sky for me..............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Well done Ferret and thanks for the info.
    Sounds like a step backwards to me. I don't see the advantage to Sky of doing this.

I too must now reconsider my subscription to Sky. Whats the point in having a Sky+ box?
    If I can not record from my Sky+ box then Sky have broken our contract.

Time to go freeview/free to air.

ferret wrote: »

The technician confirmed that the recording functionality has now been restricted to Sky+ boxes only with the new white cards. This will apply to all the different models of sky boxes over the next few weeks.

The ability to archive from Sky+ boxes will also go.

Hi ferret,

Can you clarify what the technician said? In what way restricted? Is this because of the white cards? If so, then my presumption that SKY are introducing copy protection on many more programmes is confirmed by this.

f-t

fat-tony wrote: »
    Hi ferret,

Can you clarify what the technician said? In what way restricted? Is this because of the white cards? If so, then my presumption that SKY are introducing copy protection on many more programmes is confirmed by this.

f-t

Technician said that the copy protection was introduced at the request of the channel providers, ie RTE, ITV, Channel 4, and Sky themselves. It would apper that a macrovision type signal is added to the signal and this is detected by my DVD-HD. The firmware and software updates to do is in the white cards. Customer support confirmed this.

I will try an contact RTE today and try to find out if they will confirm that copy protection is added to their retransmitted signal.

Finally had a proper response from Sky on this issue. A technician named Tony phoned me in response to my complaint. He admitted that there was a bug in the software update for the new viewing cards. This had been resolved for some models of digiboxes but not for the Sony 760u digibox I was using. He did not expect the fix to be available for several weeks.

I explained that I previously tried another Grundig digibox but it had not resolved the problem. He presumed that this was because the Grundig box was running older software.

I kept him on the phone and we checked the model number of the Grundig box and he confirmed that the bug was fixed for this model. I swapped the digiboxes and he married the card before I finished the call.

It took 30 minutes for the full suite of programs became availabe and I then forced a software update as instructed.

I checked the recording funtion to my DVD-HD and IT WORKS. There is no signal blocking on the FTV channels or Sky movies.

It took some time and had the runaround from several customer care dingbats.

Hopefully anybody else with similar problems will be able to get a quicker response.

Ferret by name and obviously ferret by nature:D
    Admire your persistence in getting
    (a) someone in SKY to admit there is a bug in their software!
    (b) a resolution to the problem in your own situation:)

Keep us up-to-date with the RTE situation. It would be good to know if they are setting the copy protection flag.
    When you think about it, it does make sense that the box would turn on Macrovision if it detected that the copy protection flag was set. It is designed to do just that for the Box Office movies and events, but you would normally see the copy protection indicator (a "C") on the information bar for the programme. My presumption was that it was a "bug" in the software as it is not happening to everyone, but it does show that SKY have the capability to block archiving from the box if they enable it generally at some future stage.

ferret wrote: »
    Technician said that the copy protection was introduced at the request of the channel providers, ie RTE, ITV, Channel 4, and Sky themselves. It would apper that a macrovision type signal is added to the signal and this is detected by my DVD-HD. The firmware and software updates to do is in the white cards. Customer support confirmed this.

I will try an contact RTE today and try to find out if they will confirm that copy protection is added to their retransmitted signal
    ferret - any word from RTE on copy protection? Poster on terrestrial thread has experienced problems copying to DVD from RTE2 analogue broadcasts - see here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055734959

Advertisement