Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census Takers

Options
  • 22-10-2009 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

What is the story with the Census Takers on roads in the early morning or evening. I was held up on the Galway to Moycullen Road for about ten minutes this morning. It is about the third time this year that the census takers have been on this road.

What is the reason and are they on other roads heading into & out of Galway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Never seen one. What did they ask you?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Asked questions like: Where are you driving to? Is it for business? How often do you use the road?

Maybe they're looking at the volume of traffic but its on the main road and as I have said they have been there 3 times this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They appear every few years, ask the roads section of the council who have the data .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭akaredtop

Who do they think they are. I was stopped three times in one day. When leaving work that evening I had to go to the Doctor Surgery to collect my wife and got a call from her on the road.I was passing by these census people and the gardai were there so I put the phone down and lifted it up once I was past the Garda. All of a sudden this Census guy with a strong English accent shouts in my window to put the phone down.I was fuming. I started looking for somewhere to pull in so that I could go back to this guy and tell him to f**k back to his own country. Unfortunately the traffic was so heavy I was unable to. I find them to be fairly arrogant and cheeky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

akaredtop wrote: »
    Who do they think they are. I was stopped three times in one day. When leaving work that evening I had to go to the Doctor Surgery to collect my wife and got a call from her on the road.I was passing by these census people and the gardai were there so I put the phone down and lifted it up once I was past the Garda. All of a sudden this Census guy with a strong English accent shouts in my window to put the phone down.I was fuming. I started looking for somewhere to pull in so that I could go back to this guy and tell him to f**k back to his own country. Unfortunately the traffic was so heavy I was unable to. I find them to be fairly arrogant and cheeky.

I hope you are pulling the píss because if you are not, that's a very idiotic thing to say.

I hope you get penalty points, and many of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

I drove through Moycullen twice yesterday. It's no big deal. No doubt those people are collecting data for some useful purpose in the common interest that I would guess has to do with road planning or traffic management or something like that. Plenty of people give out about the proposed bypass and the bad traffic in the city, but many apparently cannot bear to have to slow down for a few minutes to help with the collection of information. There was an eejit behind me who sounded his horn and was trying to overtake as soon as the line of traffic stopped - big fancy car with Dublin 08 plates, typically. Then driving aggressively right up behind me all through the village although I was driving at the speed limit. Too many muppets on the road altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

akaredtop, all your posts here have been trolling.
    Warning now, any more and it's ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

I think the whole world needs to slow down! too much rushing around, getting aggrevated over small delays, road rage etc. I see it everyday, people in traffic getting so annoyed over relatively minor inconveniences. and i have to say that most of the people i see acting this way are driving big high powered and pretty new and expensive vehicles. not all but most. my poor old car can barely reach most of the speed limits anymore so maybe i'm jealous! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

padraig71 wrote: »
    I drove through Moycullen twice yesterday. It's no big deal. No doubt those people are collecting data for some useful purpose in the common interest that I would guess has to do with road planning or traffic management or something like that. Plenty of people give out about the proposed bypass and the bad traffic in the city, but many apparently cannot bear to have to slow down for a few minutes to help with the collection of information. There was an eejit behind me who sounded his horn and was trying to overtake as soon as the line of traffic stopped - big fancy car with Dublin 08 plates, typically. Then driving aggressively right up behind me all through the village although I was driving at the speed limit. Too many muppets on the road altogether.

Brake HARD. He should be maintaining safe distance at all times in case of such a thing happening.

The dick should've bought a helicopter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

They've been out on the coast road a few times this year too. Been stopped in Inverin twice & Furbo once.
    The automated car-counter strips across the road have been out a lot too.

I hear* it's at the behest of our Gealtacht minister, gathering info to justify the new Barna- Rossaveal road.

* source......pub :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

They have been moving their way around the country for the past few months. AA Roadwatch make announcements about them sometimes on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

akaredtop wrote: »
    Who do they think they are.

I think you'll find that they're regular people, much like many people here, who have been employed by a company that's contracted to do a data-collection job. Not arrogant as such, but they do have to be a bit up-front to get answers out of people, because most will assume that they're chuggers.

I did a temp gig for a company like this earlier in the year, counting cars in and out of an estate over a day, and standing outside public places asking people how they travelled there today.

NB Probably they're not called "census takers" - a census is a survey of all the people in the population. They're actually "survey enumerators", or some title like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

JustMary wrote: »

NB Probably they're not called "census takers" - a census is a survey of all the people in the population. They're actually "survey enumerators", or some title like that.

They were called Census Takers as that is what the signs stated as did their jackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Its an origin destination survey, it would seem like its for the barna to rossaveel scheme.

They are done for most major road schemes

Advertisement