Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drag hunting

Options
  • 22-10-2009 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭

Just wondering what the general feeling on this topic is? personally i've only ever been hunting once, seen a fox been killed and was told afterwards that the blood should have been rubbed on my face!! not exactly my cup of tea,

it wouldn't of bothered me if i had the same day out jumping and soicalising following a prelaid scent.

i'm not looking to start an argument here, so keep the comments clean. just interested in peoples opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Kens

Personally fox or stag hunting is not for me I went fox hunting once many many years ago & when I heard that they would blood my face if a fox was caught I turned tail for home not my thing, but I am off drag hunting this weeked (first time out in twenty years :eek:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

oh best of luck Kens. i hope it goes well for you. where is the drag hunt do you mind me asking? i've only ever been hunting once so gonna really get into it this year with my other half.

finished college in dec, and with the job front the way it is doubt there'll be alot else to do! on a plus i get more time witht he horses :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Kens wrote: »
    I went fox hunting once many many years ago & when I heard that they would blood my face if a fox was caught

I've never heard this and I've been on a few fow hunts and have friends that fox hunting every year, so you sure someones not pulling your tail?! I find fox hunting boring tbh, stood around waiting for one while the animals get cold. No thanks!
    Wicked wrote: »
    oh best of luck Kens. i hope it goes well for you. where is the drag hunt do you mind me asking?

Yea good luck Ken.

Wicked there are plenty of drag hunts around it all depends what area your in really.

cheers, i don't think they were pulling his tail because i heard that to. some sort of 'tradition' apparently

Wicked wrote: »
    cheers, i don't think they were pulling his tail because i heard that to. some sort of 'tradition' apparently

Weird, its new to me too. Well as you said wouldn't be wanting any part of that either!

• Advertisement

Not sure if they were pulling my tail but I didnt hang around to find out just in case !!, and I'm a she not a he :p

:eek: oh lord, i'm really really sorry kens. typo!!!

;) No Worries Wicked it happens all the time ~ it was a stupid user name to pick for a girl !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I've heard of blooding, I don't think it's an Irish thing. I doubt they would force anyone to do it, just pulling your leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Kens wrote: »
    it was a stupid user name to pick for a girl !!!

Not half as bad as mine.!

Drag hunting seems interesting. Does anyone know if there is any places around Donegal?

• Advertisement

Thanks SD

try this link from the hunting association of ireland

http://www.hai.ie/hunts.php?huntid=114

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Jemmy wrote: »
    I find fox hunting boring tbh, stood around waiting for one while the animals get cold. No thanks!

Drag hunting is a completely different game from fox/stag hunting. The reason why you stand around while fox hunting is because you're waiting for the hounds to draw the covert, find quarry and then start to hunt, if it doesn't go to ground. I really love watching the hounds work, especially when there's a really good hound working hard, and it's something I love doing whether just watching on foot, beagling or mounted (I'm lucky that my horses love to stand and watch the hounds work :)) The whole thing for me about hunting is watching the hounds work and get a hunt and to see nature at work.

I think that nowadays, some people are so far removed from nature that they neither understand nor appreciate how it operates. Hunting is the most natural form of culling available, as the healthy quarry escapes, while the one that is sick is culled. I've been shooting a few times, and in my opinon there's no comparison between hunting and it as there's no natural selection when you shoot. You're so far away from the animal that it doesn't stand a chance, whereas if it was to be chased by a hound/dog, it hears/sees it coming as is gone like a shot (no pun intended), whereas if I go to shoot it, I'm 50m plus away and probably won't even have realised I was there. Plus, the chances are extremely high that I've shot a healthy animal, rather than one full of mange/myxomatosis and is in general poor health.

I also think that hunting is a far better method of culling than poison/trapping/snaring/shooting, all of which are indiscriminate, are carried out during breeding season, and all of which can leave the animal in awful pain for days. I found a fox on our land that had been shot during breeding season. It was a vixen who had been nursing and who had died due to gangrene from the wound where she was shot.

Re blooding, I think it may have been something that was done years and years ago, but has become a stereotype thrown out by those who don't know any better. I think it may also be used as a joke out hunting, too. I've never seen it happen in all the years I've been hunting. What I have seen, however, is the brush being presented to people out hunting.

convert wrote: »
    Drag hunting is a completely different game from fox/stag hunting. The reason why you stand around while fox hunting is because you're waiting for the hounds to draw the covert, find quarry and then start to hunt, if it doesn't go to ground. I really love watching the hounds work, especially when there's a really good hound working hard, and it's something I love doing whether just watching on foot, beagling or mounted (I'm lucky that my horses love to stand and watch the hounds work :)) The whole thing for me about hunting is watching the hounds work and get a hunt and to see nature at work.

There was no need to quote me there, I said I find it boring. I appreciate how it operates and I know well how it operates and why you are left standing around I also do photography at the hunts as well as took part but it is my personal opinion on fox hunting. I was just saying it is not for me personally, I never discouraged anyone from doing it if that is what they enjoy.

The reason I quoted you was to keep some sort of cohesion and logic to the thread, it wasn't an attack on you.

The reason I quoted you was to keep some sort of cohesion and logic to the thread, it wasn't an attack on you.

Ok apologies :( ppl are quick to get at you sometimes on boards!

You did give a very good descripion of the fox hunting tho. I've never heard someone speak of it in that way. I'm glad people still appreciate it, I think the hunt (not naming names obviously) I was out with have lost the true appreciation for the sport hence the bad experience personally.

You really have to give them both a go and see what suit yourself and our horse better. The mare I have now waits for noone so I'm safer in the drag hunt! She loves it and so do I, but we are safe lunstics not the crazy move away from them kind!!! :p

I also think that hunting is a far better method of culling than poison/trapping/snaring/shooting, all of which are indiscriminate, are carried out during breeding season, and all of which can leave the animal in awful pain for days.

I completely agree that hunting culls the weak & the ill & ensures survival of the fittest & that hunting is the best way to ensure this but its just not for me I did however have a brilliant day (drag) hunting yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it :D

mind you every muscle aches this morning !!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I used to find that a small minority of those out hunting were only there for perceived "snob value". These were usually the crowd who'd ride over hounds or park their suvs across gates or yakk on at the top of their voices when hounds were drawing.I hunted with 5 different packs down the years and no-one was ever " blooded."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I went draghunting once at the end of a season. On a day which I found out after was their 'biggest' day of the year. It was huge! and fast! Good fun though. I definitely see why some people would prefer it. I think a lot of the packs here turned to drag over concerns about the country they were going through no longer being suitable for hunting.

For me though, theres no comparison with foxhunting. I think sitting on a steaming horse while watching hounds draw covert on a winter Sunday morning is one of my favourite things. It also feels more like its 'part' of the countryside whereas drag hunting is more invasive or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I used to find that a small minority of those out hunting were only there for perceived "snob value". These were usually the crowd who'd ride over hounds or park their suvs across gates or yakk on at the top of their voices when hounds were drawing.I hunted with 5 different packs down the years and no-one was ever " blooded."

I've never seen or heard of it happening either. I think its a myth that some like to spread around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Blooding is a very British Hunting Tradition and is still done if newcomer wishes. Never seen it done here and I rode my first hunt many moons ago under the Mastership of a very Tradionalist Master of Hounds.
    I have to agree with the point of Hunting being about the Hounds. Horses are really only there so Humans can keep up.
    I would now only go out midweek here as you dont get the 'Lets jump everything in sight brigade' and get up close and enjoy the hound work instead of being held back because you have so many people who are out for a natter.

• Advertisement

I know exactly what you mean. Half the time wonder if they realise they're actually hunting, not just out on a charity ride. What's worse is that they actually go off on their own and go for a ride around the fields and then join back up with the hunt half an hour or so later. And when they're rebuked or questioned about it they just get really defensive and aggressive and very rude and tell the person to get lost (but obviously not so politely).

I know what I've said is going to come across as being very arrogant and perhaps a tad snobbish, but I think if hunting in any form is going to survive in Ireland people must have respect for the sporting and generous landowners' over whose land we hunt/ride. Without them the sport cannot survive. The same applies to charity rides, too. Not following the hunt/ride and disappearing off on your own because you're bored is just not acceptable.

Sorry for the rant, but it's something I feel very strongly about. I also want to state that I know it's only a minority of people who do this, but, as with everything, unfortunately it's the minority who destroy it for everybody and get the rest a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Musto

Hunted about 4 seasons. 2 drag and 2 fox. Definitely prefered the fox. Much more enjoyable. Felt the drag was just so so fast. Once the hounds got the scent it was hell for leather until they got to the end of the draw. With Fox hunting I find it slower. You see more of the country.
    I do agree there is a number of people who use it to hurtle around over jumps with no consideration for anyone else or the land. That annoys me so so much.
    I've stopped hunting because my mare is now retired and I basically am too much of a coward to try to hunt anything else. Have a 3 yr old just backed but I won't be going near a hunting field with him until he is a lot older and wiser. His mammy was serious - only hunted or XC, but boy was she good. Put her in an arena and she would make a holy show out of you. Out hunting - keep up if you can!!
    I just wish people would be more considerate. The stoppers who won't let anyone else jump until they get over.. Gggrrrrr. The racers who jump at the same time as you. Gggrrrr. But have to say, 90% of people are just fantastic. Its like a social event. And thanking the landowners and is so so important too.. Enjoy the season - anyone out there hunting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Musto wrote: »
    Hunted about 4 seasons. 2 drag and 2 fox. Definitely prefered the fox. Much more enjoyable. Felt the drag was just so so fast. Once the hounds got the scent it was hell for leather until they got to the end of the draw. With Fox hunting I find it slower. You see more of the country.
    I do agree there is a number of people who use it to hurtle around over jumps with no consideration for anyone else or the land. That annoys me so so much.
    I've stopped hunting because my mare is now retired and I basically am too much of a coward to try to hunt anything else. Have a 3 yr old just backed but I won't be going near a hunting field with him until he is a lot older and wiser. His mammy was serious - only hunted or XC, but boy was she good. Put her in an arena and she would make a holy show out of you. Out hunting - keep up if you can!!
    I just wish people would be more considerate. The stoppers who won't let anyone else jump until they get over.. Gggrrrrr. The racers who jump at the same time as you. Gggrrrr. But have to say, 90% of people are just fantastic. Its like a social event. And thanking the landowners and is so so important too.. Enjoy the season - anyone out there hunting!!
    They always seem to react to a stop with turning and approaching again from a stride less each attempt. And its always the horses fault.

Is there not any hunt official who stays near the middle/back who can sort out this kind of thing? or report it to the secretary at the end. I know some hunts have nominated gate closers.

Gate shutters are really only there to ensure that all the gates are closed after the hunt goes through. On 'popular' days, such as St. Stephen's Day, it's more difficult as you end up at least 20 minutes behind the main field due to the behaviour outlined above, exacerbated by the fact that latecomers often don't bother to close the gates through which they've come, so the gate shutters have to go back and close them and then play catch up again :mad:

Even if the hunt officials are scattered through the field, they receive abuse from those whom they chastise so it's nearly more hassle to say something than leave it go and only say something if it gets really bad.

Musto wrote: »

The local hunt crosses land owned by my dad and some people are unbelievable, told entering the field stay to the headlands and just randomly tear around the field. On the other hand most are lovely will always thank my parents while passing the gate some even stop and shake his hand! I don't think you can pin the jokers and messers on a certain age group tho. Some of the worst I've seen have been the older generation.

On the stoppers...I remember my second hunt out I was only 16 and I had another girl with me same age but on an experienced hunter. We came to one massive trench, and her pony wouldn't even attempt it and everyone had gone ahead so we started to worry as there was no way around and didn't know the area. Then one man on a young horse & 2 other ppl with him came shouting across the field 'get out of the way, get the fcuk out of our way' before he even gave us a chance to move he was on top of us shouting f-ing this and f-ing that stupid kids and their ponys.
    I'll never forget it, so if I can give the nicer stoppers a lead then I do try but the ones that circle and circle wasting time they are a different story.

That's horrible Jemmy, I wonder if your man would have been such a bully if you were male.

In Ireland are huntmasters/mistresses prepared to ban people/send them home or end a hunt early if behaviour is bad.

are huntmasters/mistresses prepared to ban people/send them home or end a hunt early if behaviour is bad.

No, which is a pain.
    In some hunts I've seen people being bawled out for bad behaviour but I've never seen someone being sent home.

However, I've seen some very, very bad behaviour that is potentially very damaging for the hunt occur with no reprimand issued at all.

Jesus, how do they keep the permissions they have to go on land if they don't keep people in check?

Would anything if incidents is reported to these people

http://www.hai.ie/

• Advertisement

Jesus, how do they keep the permissions they have to go on land if they don't keep people in check?

Would anything if incidents is reported to these people

http://www.hai.ie/

I've seen a few people being sent home over the years, but with the bigger numbers out hunting it seems that it's harder to keep an eye on everyone and catch everything they do.

Our St Stephen's Day hunt has started finishing up early in the last few years due to the large crowds who attend. The people over whose land they hunt that day are members of the hunt and/or are masters of the hunt, so they don't mind the hunt crossing their land. However, they don't go onto anyone else's land that day.

As for the HAI, I don't know whether it would make a difference or not. I think it depends who you are. I know a friend of mine reported something out hunting, and got a reply saying you're not a HAI member, we don't know who you are or if you have an ulterior motive, so it's hard for us to know how to deal with it. It wasn't anything big or majorly important, but they weren't impressed with the response. Though I can kind of understand their reply as I'm sure they're inundated with complaints and spam from anti-hunting lobbyists who could pose as a pro-hunting supporter in order to get information they would later use against the HAI and hunting. However, I assume if it was a serious complaint, they would take it on board and investigate it.

Advertisement