Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sucklers on slats

• 22-10-2009 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

any one keep sucklers on standard slats?
    if the calves have acces to a straw bed how do they get on with the slatted area?

would young calves be ok on the slats?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

any one keep sucklers on standard slats?
    if the calves have acces to a straw bed how do they get on with the slatted area?

would young calves be ok on the slats?

We keep all our sucklers on slats. However we have calving pens for all and try not to calve anything on the slats because it is dangerous enough. Calves over a week old are fit to go onto slats so long as you have a dry area/creep/cubicles for them to lie down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

true..need a dry/lay by area for calves...along with the slats....calves need there comfort

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I'm building a feed passage for sucklers with calves at the moment, anyone got any tips on how to keep calves off the silage and on the slats. Have a straw bedded shed with diagnal bars in the feed barrier but didn't work last year, I don't want to spend 4-500 yoyo on locking headrails/bay either. :confused:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

blue5000 wrote: »
    I'm building a feed passage for sucklers with calves at the moment, anyone got any tips on how to keep calves off the silage and on the slats. Have a straw bedded shed with diagnal bars in the feed barrier but didn't work last year, I don't want to spend 4-500 yoyo on locking headrails/bay either. :confused:
    keep the feed passage lower than out side where the silage is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

blue5000 wrote: »
    I'm building a feed passage for sucklers with calves at the moment, anyone got any tips on how to keep calves off the silage and on the slats.

There's a simple fix for to keep calves in. The bottom rail of your feeding barrier is approx 2 foot off the ground, so it is easy for calves to jump through it. You need to run a steel bar or a piece of timber about 6 inches above the bottom rail. It needs to be hung from the top rail of the barrier using a rope. By doing this, you will have a bar/plank fixed six inches up the barrier so that when a calf pushes against it to jump out, the bar on the rope will be flexible and move out with him and prevent him from getting out because as it is pushed out under their neck, it raises up and they cannot get across it. . The idea of tieing it with the rope is for safety so that if an animal puts their head under it, it will move with them. Have have had this on my barriers for 10 years now and it is 100% effective and safe. Cows will have no problem eating out over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Brilliant. :D:D
    Theres probably a few guys reading this who spent a furtune on new barriers etc to solve the problem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

pakalasa wrote: »
    Brilliant. :D:D
    Theres probably a few guys reading this who spent a furtune on new barriers etc to solve the problem.
    Thanks relig, that sounds really simple and effective. I got another suggestion today, put up an electric fence about 2 yards out from the feed barrier, when the calves get out they get a shock to train them to go back in.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement