Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpet Cleaning by hand

Options
  • 22-10-2009 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum but I couldnt find a 'carpet cleaning' one :D:D

Anyway I have a small 4x3m carpet in my new rented apartment. The previos tenants did a job on it and it looks quite dirty- it s cream in colour but there are plenty of black marks and spills evident on it.

Its not really big enough to justify hiring a cleaning machine so Im wondering how does one go about cleaning it by hand? Is it just a matter of scrubbing it with a deck scrub and some carpet cleaner, letting it dry and then get the hoover out?

Also is cleaning it by hand going to result in as good a job as a machine? Or will I most likely still be left with big black stains ?

Finally, anyone know what kinda bobs I would expect to pay to hire a machine if it comes to that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

hand cleaning leaves a very =uneven result.

it could look muckier than your started. b&q has a machine you could rent. not sure how much. price it up. maybe you could split the cost with a friend that need a carpet cleaned.

a carpet cleaning service may work out cheaper as i am sure they will charge per sq area rather than time and you could be guarenteed a better result

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I usually agree with matron above but i used vanish on my stairs and it worked great. I am sure there is generic versions but the one i used is the one you add a cap full to a bucket kinda thing. I figured for less than a tenner it would be worth taking the chance instead of hireing a cleaner for a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

as joey said and in hind sight use the cheaper option here and if you not happy take it a step further and hire the machine.

you could be happy with the result and save money too!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭w123

If you're renting the appartment, get the landlord to replace the carpet/mat.
    If you're the landlord - don't be such a cheapskate - get a new one.

Advertisement