Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a TV in Galway

Options
  • 22-10-2009 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

Looking for a 32" TV to buy, not much choice after Currys, N17 & DID..

Surely more places out there?

Thanks

Comments

I would advise buying online more choice and you will definitely save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

I'd recommend a post on the Richer Sounds site on this very forum.

Tell them your budget & wish list, they'll come back to you pretty promptly with suggestions.

(no connection, just a happy customer)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Magnus wrote: »

Before you buy anything in Argos have a look at

http://www.cataloguecompare.com/

For example a Hitachi on the page that was linked to is over 20% more expensive in Ireland than the UK (after VAT is added its nearer 30%!!). Even the ones that they advertise as having huge discounts are still more expensive than the UK ones (which arent discounted).
    There is a LG 32LF7700 32in Full HD Freesat Digital LCD TV that is 50% more expensive here than in the UK.

How anyone can buy stuff in Argos here is beyond me they are one of the biggest ripoff merchants in their price differential between Ire and UK

Also remember Amazon.co.uk have free delivery to Ireland(for items over about 25 euro) and you can now ship electronic goods here. Not saying they are the best value but worth a look with this in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Webbs wrote: »
    Before you buy anything in Argos have a look at

http://www.cataloguecompare.com/

For example a Hitachi on the page that was linked to is over 20% more expensive in Ireland than the UK (after VAT is added its nearer 30%!!). Even the ones that they advertise as having huge discounts are still more expensive than the UK ones (which arent discounted).
    There is a LG 32LF7700 32in Full HD Freesat Digital LCD TV that is 50% more expensive here than in the UK.

How anyone can buy stuff in Argos here is beyond me they are one of the biggest ripoff merchants in their price differential between Ire and UK

We aren't in the UK, we're in a different country. It's not like we have irish retailers undercutting Argos' prices. Have you got any other comparisons to bring us to show how much more expensive other stores are compared to the UK?

People buy from argos because there is no reason to boycott them. If argos is cheaper than other stores IN IRELAND then there really is no reason not to buy from them, if they're more expensive then buy elsewhere.

On Topic:
    If I was in the market for a new TV I'd definitely be checking out richersounds.ie, you'll find them here on boards: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1105

Mactard wrote: »
    We aren't in the UK, we're in a different country. It's not like we have irish retailers undercutting Argos' prices. Have you got any other comparisons to bring us to show how much more expensive other stores are compared to the UK?

People buy from argos because there is no reason to boycott them. If argos is cheaper than other stores IN IRELAND then there really is no reason not to buy from them, if they're more expensive then buy elsewhere.

On Topic:
    If I was in the market for a new TV I'd definitely be checking out richersounds.ie, you'll find them here on boards: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1105

LE32B550A5WXX-SAMSUNG TV is 529 in DID and 709 in Argos if comparing between Irish suppliers (25% Difference)

Aldi have 26'' TV for 299euro here and 275euro equivalent in uk (8% difference I think, which if you take away VAT difference means no real difference in price)

I was just trying to inform the original poster that Argos have a huge price differential and that buying in the UK and getting shipped here if possible or going with another Irish retailer would be better would be better

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Did you try Xtravision? The 32" Sanyo Full HD is unreal. Theres money off it at the moment as well I think, €449.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

big b wrote: »
    I'd recommend a post on the Richer Sounds site on this very forum.

Tell them your budget & wish list, they'll come back to you pretty promptly with suggestions.

(no connection, just a happy customer)

+1 here highly recommended.

www.pixmania.ie have great deals on TV's too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Des Hynes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Des Hynes wrote: »

Jasus !!!!!!!
    Are you going to spend a ton of good money on a 32" TV only to have it thrown about the place by a courier/delivery service ?
    I personally wouldnt chance it.

If it were me Id price Peter Murphys up there in Westside or have a look at Argos.co.uk and if you get something worth your while, you cud always drive the 3 hours up to Enniskillen and pick one up instore.

I was on the lookout for a digital camcorder a while back, best price one around town was a Canon for 218 EURO, i got it in Argos Enniskillen for 165EURO.

But if you want to stick to Galway, call over to Murphys, they have good selection and for different budgets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Des Hynes

alibabba wrote: »
    Jasus !!!!!!!
    Are you going to spend a ton of good money on a 32" TV only to have it thrown about the place by a courier/delivery service ?
    I personally wouldnt chance it.

If it were me Id price Peter Murphys up there in Westside or have a look at Argos.co.uk and if you get something worth your while, you cud always drive the 3 hours up to Enniskillen and pick one up instore.

I was on the lookout for a digital camcorder a while back, best price one around town was a Canon for 218 EURO, i got it in Argos Enniskillen for 165EURO.

But if you want to stick to Galway, call over to Murphys, they have good selection and for different budgets.

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]If the item was damaged in transit
    • If you take delivery of an Amazon.co.uk package and the contents have been damaged in transit, you can return the item(s) to us within 30 days of receipt for exchange. Please visit our Returns Support Centre and print out a personalised return label for your item.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

Des Hynes wrote: »
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]If the item was damaged in transit
    • If you take delivery of an Amazon.co.uk package and the contents have been damaged in transit, you can return the item(s) to us within 30 days of receipt for exchange. Please visit our Returns Support Centre and print out a personalised return label for your item.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=14176091

14 day return policy for TV > 26".
    I'd still feel more comfortable buying it instore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Could you explain to me alibabba how Peter Murphys get's his TV delivered ?
    Surely it's exactly the same way via courier ? So your point isn't really valid.

Could you explain to me alibabba how Peter Murphys get's his TV delivered ?
    Surely it's exactly the same way via courier ? So your point isn't really valid.

My point is very valid, dont you think the very sentistive electronic TV has had enough lugging about already !
    Lets look at the journey of the TV coming from Amazon so ....
    Des buys it online tomorrow, the order goes thru to the DC in the UK, they stick it in a van and off to the airport, into a plane, across the channel to shannon or dublin, then off to another local DC, where it gets thrown into another van and then if its lucky, a smooth ride on our lovely roads to Des's house. These couriers dont give a rats notion of whats in the back of the van, they just want to get it delivered before the end of shift and get home early. I know they are extremely well packed, but theu didnt design the packing for our irish roads.

No, Id rather pick it up in town meself and bring it home.
    But thats just me, everyone is different.

These couriers dont give a rats notion of whats in the back of the van, they just want to get it delivered before the end of shift and get home early. I know they are extremely well packed, but theu didnt design the packing for our irish roads.

No, Id rather pick it up in town meself and bring it home.
    But thats just me, everyone is different.

Is that you picking it up in your car and driving with the TV (in packing not designed for Irish roads) home on our Irish roads in the boot of your car ;) (sorry couldnt resist)

Webbs wrote: »
    Is that you picking it up in your car and driving with the TV (in packing not designed for Irish roads) home on our Irish roads in the boot of your car ;) (sorry couldnt resist)

Buying instore .... You will know how it was handled from store to home.
    Buying online ... god knows how it will be handled.

BTW: do Aldi/LIDL TVs carry the usual 3 year guarantee that they normally offer when selling stuff like that. Could be worth checking out. I know the retail stores only offer 1 yr .

Buying instore .... You will know how it was handled from store to home.
    Buying online ... god knows how it will be handled.

I would rather take the tiny chance of something going wrong (which if it does you can return the tv) and pay considerably less online. To be honest I wouldn't even think of buying electronic equipment anywhere but online. I had a look in currys recently out of boredom the prices they are charging are comical. Crap laptops costing much more than far better ones online being one example.

I have bought tv's online and ordered tv's online for people who were not comfortable using the internet along with many other electronic items and have never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

I recently purchased a top spec Sony Bravia from DID Electric in galway. I knew the exact model i wanted and got quotes from 4 bricks n mortor shops in galway and the DID quote was by far the best. N17 quote was shockingly high. The price quoted from DID was even competitive compared to UK online retailers. They will also price match any bricks n mortor shop in the republic.
    Seen a lower spec bravia in tesco recently for €100 more than what i paid.
    Avoid argos they sell their medium to high end TV's at a high premium.

Best advice is ring around 4 or 5 retailers and get the best price. These days retailers will do everything to get your custom(one of the good things about a recession)
    Also make sure the TV you are going to purchase has an MPEG4 digital tuner, so that it will be compatible with the soon to be launched Irish Digital service. An MPEG2 digital tuner as used in the UK will not work with the Irish service.
    The Samsung LE32B450C4 has an MPEG4 tuner and has some very good reviews.

• Advertisement
Advertisement