Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halve Dole for Under 24s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

This is a great idea, and im 100% behind it, its still bloody more than youll get in the uk at any age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

I see the fat cat gov are supposedly taking a 20% paycut so that they may still earn a whopping 5 times an average common fool earns (still in excess for these useless c**ts).
    Why are all you people not uniting to out these fools who still fill their own coffers & drink a free bar from which u & i have paid for...

As for the dolers - easy for the high earners to say cut & cull it.....as long as your job lasts in this hell hole of a country
    As for the dolers themselves - under relativity this amount 'should' suffice survival but not materialism & wants...

Stand, Unite & start a govt coup!

P.s. Our 1916 brethern died for their beliefs & a united people, the f**king self centred, incompetent fools we have leading us could not care less as long as we fight among ourselves & not see teh real problems - THE INCOMPETENT IRIS GOVT - i say shoot em all (approx 166 seated in teh dail by (avg) 160k + a year = 26 560 000 not to mention all teh added expenses they incur....

Mr Yellow wrote: »
    As for the dolers - easy for the high earners to say cut & cull it.....as long as your job lasts in this hell hole of a country.
    disagree completely, prices have fallen in the past year so those on the dole are better off than they were a year ago. Hell even know some lads on the dole saying its great, nice and recession proof lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I see the fat cat gov are supposedly taking a 20% paycut so that they may still earn a whopping 5 times an average common fool earns (still in excess for these useless c**ts).
    Why are all you people not uniting to out these fools who still fill their own coffers & drink a free bar from which u & i have paid for...

As for the dolers - easy for the high earners to say cut & cull it.....as long as your job lasts in this hell hole of a country
    As for the dolers themselves - under relativity this amount 'should' suffice survival but not materialism & wants...

Stand, Unite & start a govt coup!

P.s. Our 1916 brethern died for their beliefs & a united people, the f**king self centred, incompetent fools we have leading us could not care less as long as we fight among ourselves & not see teh real problems - THE INCOMPETENT IRIS GOVT - i say shoot em all (approx 166 seated in teh dail by (avg) 160k + a year = 26 560 000 not to mention all teh added expenses they incur....

The Dáil costs 26 million or so in your estimation.

Social Welfare's cost is measured in billions.

I've a sneaking suspicion I know which one needs to be cut to save the economy.

The Dáil costs 26 million or so in your estimation.

Social Welfare's cost is measured in billions.

I've a sneaking suspicion I know which one needs to be cut to save the economy.

JUST AN APPROX OF THEIR SALARY. Why do we need to solve problems they create..

• Advertisement

because if we dont the country will be destroyed, im really surprised if people dont understand how serious this situation is and the impact whats happening now especially with debt and Nama will have on future generations.

I can see a serious looming situation of the PS being on strike and the private sector and dole heads rallying against them, i hope it never happens but people are just living in a bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Because we created the problem by electing them. (Well I didn't. I've never voted for Fianna Fáil.)

The electorate gets the government it picks, and pays for their actions.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    because if we dont the country will be destroyed, im really surprised if people dont understand how serious this situation is and the impact whats happening now especially with debt and Nama will have on future generations.

I can see a serious looming situation of the PS being on strike and the private sector and dole heads rallying against them, i hope it never happens but people are just living in a bubble.

What can you & i do to honestly solve this? - make suggestions on a public forum & then what.....? No matter what is suggested (&implemented) it will undoubtedly be fought against & disagreed from in every aspect.
    Same ole Ireland it always has been unfort, just a bunch of talkers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

This post has been deleted.

Have you any evidence of minimum wage or low-paid job vacancy's not being filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

This becomes more and more true.

• Advertisement

This becomes more and more true.

Thanks mate - at least AGREEMENT is reached on something!
    As said We should unite not fight over which of us gets screwed. Anyone wana put upa hand & accept a paycut instead of pointing the finger at someone else who should....[waits a few moments...No, as i thought]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

mega man wrote: »
    I think a simpler solution would be to stop paying all the immigrants social welfare benefits. why the under 24? why not the over 55? wtf?

This comment is complete discrimination..im irish but hate people who discriminate against eastern eu people who come here to work..they did the jobs that irish people didnt want to do a few years ago and thats the thanks they get..Sure the irish did the exact same thing 20 years ago when the immigrated to usa

What can you & i do to honestly solve this? - make suggestions on a public forum & then what.....? No matter what is suggested (&implemented) it will undoubtedly be fought against & disagreed from in every aspect.
    I agree entirely with you. The problem in this country is greed, everyone will fight their own corner for absolutely everything they have regardless of the social consequences of 100s, 1000s or 100,000s doing this. Noone gives an absolute crap about our country, only their own little corner and will band together like sheep for the next big drama stunt of strike action by unions.

My wife is in the PS, im happy theres a planned 7% average decrease for the simple fact that its needed, its needed to help our country get through this. Ill gladly take that hit and perceive more to come, even worse hardship because its the reality of the situation we live in.

I was born here, i loved this country with a passion but from 1997 onwards ive started hating this place, hating the greed and the class division that those who borrowed decided to create, i.e. youre a tosser unless you own 1 or more properties( i could have bought 6 years ago if i wanted to ), the keeping up with the jones's and their latest 5 litre SUV.

Last time we had a recession, my mum and all the other housewives were down at the ports when the fishermen came in and would get given loads of fish for nothing by those guys who worked so hard for days at sea to get their catch. Thats community spirit, thats what this country was about.

Now what do we have but a load of different me feiner groups trying to hold on to unsustainable creations of the good times and people are willing to drive this country into the ground to 'prove' what they mean to the country.

Its sad, really really sad that this is what we are now.

As for what we can do, well i for one will gladly stand and protest against those who hold our country to ransom because of their perceived entitlements, but it would have to be a weekend as i cant take days off for such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

amacachi wrote: »
    Read above again, I'm fine with being affected, as are most people I know, but I'm not OK with being shafted because of politics. That's why they're targetting the young unemployed, politics, nothing to do with it being the fairest or most effective thing to do.

I'd love if the government were to say right now "Right, we're out in a couple of years, let's make a difference." and cut SW by ~20% and put up income tax by 5-7% straightaway. Maybe then there'd be a chance of coming out the other side of this thing in a position to have a properly functioning economy.

Theres no point increasing taxes..anyone who did economics would know that discourages the incentive to work..

Sure i think the tax bracket for higher earners is a bit high..Instead of increasing taxs..they should implement the tax schemes correctly,for example many of the top earners are paying less tax that what they should be doing through tax loopholes etc..tax reliefs etc should be cut for example i heard artists get a 250k tax relief which is complete bs imo.

If cuts happen it has to start from the top in the public sector..
    a tasioch who earns more than obama with a population a fraction of the size is a complete joke..
    Expenses and the amount of high earners in the public sector has to me re looked at.
    Permanent staff should be checked every few years to see if they are still good at what they do..When i was in school i know there was load of teachers that sucked so much and the irony of it all was that the highest paid teacher in my old school was probably the worst..
    Public sector staff should get promotions on good work ethics etc,not just experience..I know its been said a million times but i have to rant somewhere:)

back to the topic i completely think this is ageist and politically incorrect....

I agree entirely with you. The problem in this country is greed, everyone will fight their own corner for absolutely everything they have regardless of the social consequences of 100s, 1000s or 100,000s doing this. Noone gives an absolute crap about our country, only their own little corner and will band together like sheep for the next big drama stunt of strike action by unions.

My wife is in the PS, im happy theres a planned 7% average decrease for the simple fact that its needed, its needed to help our country get through this. Ill gladly take that hit and perceive more to come, even worse hardship because its the reality of the situation we live in.

I was born here, i loved this country with a passion but from 1997 onwards ive started hating this place, hating the greed and the class division that those who borrowed decided to create, i.e. youre a tosser unless you own 1 or more properties( i could have bought 6 years ago if i wanted to ), the keeping up with the jones's and their latest 5 litre SUV.

Last time we had a recession, my mum and all the other housewives were down at the ports when the fishermen came in and would get given loads of fish for nothing by those guys who worked so hard for days at sea to get their catch. Thats community spirit, thats what this country was about.

Now what do we have but a load of different me feiner groups trying to hold on to unsustainable creations of the good times and people are willing to drive this country into the ground to 'prove' what they mean to the country.

Its sad, really really sad that this is what we are now.

As for what we can do, well i for one will gladly stand and protest against those who hold our country to ransom because of their perceived entitlements, but it would have to be a weekend as i cant take days off for such things.

FACT - came across a quote 'If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power..'
    Selflessness & jealousy are also increasing, so much for being happy with what you have, no...u now have to compete with the little prick next door with 2 5-series in teh drive & 5 bed house, ALL of which is bank owned, a mortgage allows your name on a piece of paper not a house, its teh banks!
    & 'relatively' young as i am...i have started hating this place a long time ago too & alot of teh people 2....
    Anyway best stay with the topic - think the under 24's need to voice themselves before someonde decides their future..

Need kip... Ciao

Good hustle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Halving the dole for people under 24 is unfair.
    Halve dole for everyone, and provide low-paid community service work for anyone who wants it. Why give people money to sit around and feel bad when there's litter on the streets?

FACT - came across a quote 'If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power..'
    Selflessness & jealousy are also increasing, so much for being happy with what you have, no...u now have to compete with the little prick next door with 2 5-series in teh drive & 5 bed house, ALL of which is bank owned, a mortgage allows your name on a piece of paper not a house, its teh banks!
    & 'relatively' young as i am...i have started hating this place a long time ago too & alot of teh people 2....
    Anyway best stay with the topic - think the under 24's need to voice themselves before someonde decides their future..

Need kip... Ciao

Good hustle
    i agree wholeheartedly, have a good one dude
    pwd wrote: »
    Halving the dole for people under 24 is unfair.
    Halve dole for everyone, and provide low-paid community service work for anyone who wants it. Why give people money to sit around and feel bad when there's litter on the streets?
    no offense but what you say is both insane and ridicules, 24 year olds on average have no family, no responsibilities are quite agile in moving jobs/locations/countries whatever. You cant cut dole of a 35 year old to 100euro, someone who has worked for 17 years but has been recently made unemployed, has a wife and kids and expect him to have the same quality of life as some free loader who is 24.

If you ask me, no-one under the age of 24 deserves dole for any longer than 6 months, bull**** nanny state nonsense. Ive been on the dole for 10 weeks total in my life( 2 weeks of which were my 2 weeks holiday entitlement ) and i just used the dole to go for job interviews. Now the dole is perceived by and especially those under 24 as a lifestyle.

i agree wholeheartedly, have a good one dude

no offense but what you say is both insane and ridicules, 24 year olds on average have no family, no responsibilities are quite agile in moving jobs/locations/countries whatever. You cant cut dole of a 35 year old to 100euro, someone who has worked for 17 years but has been recently made unemployed, has a wife and kids and expect him to have the same quality of life as some free loader who is 24.

If you ask me, no-one under the age of 24 deserves dole for any longer than 6 months, bull**** nanny state nonsense. Ive been on the dole for 10 weeks total in my life( 2 weeks of which were my 2 weeks holiday entitlement ) and i just used the dole to go for job interviews. Now the dole is perceived by and especially those under 24 as a lifestyle.
    well that's the stereotype that's propigated by giving money to people to sit around.
    I was going to dignify this nonsense with a structured response but then I thought
    "Ah fnck you you judgemental wankstain you know nothing and I hope you choke on the sh!t you talk," so I didn't.

well that's the stereotype that's propigated by giving money to people to sit around.
    I was going to dignify this nonsense with a structured response but then I thought
    "Ah fnck you you judgemental wankstain you know nothing and I hope you choke on the sh!t you talk," so I didn't.
    well youre completely entitled to your opinion but it doesnt say much about you if you have to lower yourself to that but yeah, go for it.

We can all leave and who'll pay your handy number dole then?

well youre completely entitled to your opinion but it doesnt say much about you if you have to lower yourself to that but yeah, go for it.

We can all leave and who'll pay your handy number dole then?
    not on the dole
    been a long time since I needed to be
    when I did need it I couldn't get it
    strangely it can be harder to get a job when you're under 24, and have not much experience, than when you're in your 30s, and have lots. I've been contacted about a good few jobs since this recession started - good ones.
    People who have kids should be financially secure enough to support them, and should have money saved so they can tolerate being out of work for a while.
    People under 24 are unlikely to have savings and less likely to be able to find work.
    There are not jobs there for anyone who wants them. There weren't even jobs there for anyone who wanted one in the economic boom.
    If you read what I said in my first post you'd have seen that I was suggesting that's what there should be.
    But you just go on banging on with your judgemental w@nk because you never were out of work for long, so you're better than anyone who is.

• Advertisement

not on the dole
    been a long time since I needed to be
    when I did need it I couldn't get it
    yep, my now wife had the same problem.
    strangely it can be harder to get a job when you're under 24, and have not much experience, than when you're in your 30s. I've been contacted about a good few jobs since this recession started - good ones.
    Never had that problem, went labouring in the uk to make ends meet.
    People who have kids should be financially secure enough to support them, and should have money saved so they can tolerate being out of work for a while.
    Agree completely but i doubt a couple with 3 kids who get 700+euro a week from childrens allowance + rent allowance + the individuals doles being reduced to 600euro a week will be a problem.
    People under 24 are unlikely to have savings and less likely to be able to find work.
    true, when i was under 24 i never had much more than 5000euro in my bank account at any one time from returning from months labouring in the uk.
    Well if under 24 year olds cant find work( and i mean any casual work ) then we really are fcuked
    There are not jobs there for anyone who wants them. There weren't even jobs there for anyone who wanted one in the economic boom.
    There are jobs out there, yes its difficult, but they still exist, the country isint in a cryogenic unit. The feeling about this is like its the apocalypse
    If you read what I said in my first post you'd have seen that I was suggesting that's what there should be.
    But you just go on banging on with your judgemental w@nk because you never were out of work for long, so you're better than anyone who is.
    Again, youre only making yourself look bad, im not better than anyone else, i was lucky in my earlier days to get to work 60 hours a week labouring excluding another 20 hours a week travelling which i paid for my education with and can reap some form of reward from now thankfully.

Sorry but youre just not making any sense with your bleeding heart comments on the poor under 24's on the scratch, god bless 'em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

This is a great idea, and im 100% behind it, its still bloody more than youll get in the uk at any age.

firstly standard of living in uk is far less than the republic of ireland. secondly havent really read thread so your post was first ive seen that supports the move.
    i fall into this age bracket myself and think its the usaul targeting of young people by the government. we are been told by the government the reason for it is to encourage young people to find work!! ok well ive been out of work since march, my previous job was a great one i was on excellent money for a bloke my age had my own van expenses etc, since ive been out of work ive had to compete with hundreds/thousends of people in jobs ive applied for and ive a good cv!! its only now that ive finally got an interview.its not so easy to get work even in retail like dunnes is tough and ive applied and failed.
    say the government came out and said all foreign nationals income on the dole will be halved to encourage them to return to their country, there would be outcry of racism etc.
    why just cut under 24's do these people not have familys,houses, why not cut the whole lot insted of picking on one particular group?
    its a bold much on fianna fails part and one that will backfire. thousends of young lads sitting around bored/no money/no hope of a job= dangerous:cool:!!!!

major bill wrote: »
    firstly standard of living in uk is far less than the republic of ireland. secondly havent really read thread so your post was first ive seen that supports the move.
    i fall into this age bracket myself and think its the usaul targeting of young people by the government. we are been told by the government the reason for it is to encourage young people to find work!! ok well ive been out of work since march, my previous job was a great one i was on excellent money for a bloke my age had my own van expenses etc, since ive been out of work ive had to compete with hundreds/thousends of people in jobs ive applied for and ive a good cv!! its only now that ive finally got an interview.its not so easy to get work even in retail like dunnes is tough and ive applied and failed.
    say the government came out and said all foreign nationals income on the dole will be halved to encourage them to return to their country, there would be outcry of racism etc.
    why just cut under 24's do these people not have familys,houses, why not cut the whole lot insted of picking on one particular group?
    its a bold much on fianna fails part and one that will backfire. thousends of young lads sitting around bored/no money/no hope of a job= dangerous:cool:!!!!
    look i understand and i do feel sorry for your situation. However on the whole legislation cannot be applied that will please 100% of the people no matter what it is.
    Yes the uk has a lower quality of life, the uk isint in such dire straights as we are. I dont know but working( in the private sector if that makes any difference ) ive never experienced this amazing quality of life that we're perceived to have had in ireland( fair enough i used to visit herselfs folks abroad one every year or two and maybe have a holiday but thats about the height of my lavish spending in the past 11 years ), honestly if you have examples feel free to correct me.

Its a crap time for jobs, i realise that but there are so many people worse off than you on the dole, people who've worked for 15-25 years with wife, kids & mortgage.

You cant single out foreigners no more than locals as an EU directive and im glad its in place for the fact you cant force all those people into extreme poverty just to look after the locals.

Yes its ****, its **** for all of us believe me and im quite lucky in that ive no loans. The country is bankrupt simple as that, we can no longer afford to pay for everything, believe me its going to get a lot worse, maybe not for you directly but there's a whole year ahead of newly unemployed.

The under 24's with famalies etc. wont be cut, see a few pages back in the thread, its the same as what was last introduced for 20 year olds and under.

Its a global recession, every country is experiencing loads of yound people craving work and cant get work and theyre sitting around bored. Its unfortunate but unfortunetely the reality.

Hopefully it will improve next year( at least its supposed to, fingers crossed )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I think it's really sad that we're about to cut the dole.

204euro is feck all to live on, especially in dublin.

Surely there are higher paid people who could fit that bill. At the low dole rate, you're talking about 10-15 euros per person per week. It's not going to save the country.

I'd be happy to take a tax increase, in order to avoid people on the dole taking a cut.

Well, if I were living in Ireland still. Though, as I'm living a comfortable lifestyle in the sunshine here in oz, it's not an issue I genuinely have to face any time soon :P

tallaght01 wrote: »

Surely there are higher paid people who could fit that bill. At the low dole rate, you're talking about 10-15 euros per person per week. It's not going to save the country.

I'd be happy to take a tax increase, in order to avoid people on the dole taking a cut.

Well, if I were living in Ireland still. Though, as I'm living a comfortable lifestyle in the sunshine here in oz, it's not an issue I genuinely have to face any time soon :P
    lol, good to hear, enjoy oz ya lucky fecker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

tallaght01 wrote: »

It's only feck all because the cost of living is so high, and the cost of living has to come down to improve competitiveness, and attract investment.

If the dole is lowered it may at least start to ease prices (not as much money going around -> prices and wage demands start to fall) and eventually lower the cost of doing business in the country. And the cycle of boom and bust continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Peanut wrote: »
    It's only feck all because the cost of living is so high, and the cost of living has to come down to improve competitiveness, and attract investment.

If the dole is lowered it may at least start to ease prices (not as much money going around -> prices and wage demands start to fall) and eventually lower the cost of doing business in the country. And the cycle of boom and bust continues.

Yea I'm aware of the theory. I just don't see why the people on social welfare should be the ones charged with bringing prices down.

Personally, if things are that bad, I think that should be done by reducing public sector wages and by voluntary private sector wage reductions.

But I know only one of those things will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Kered75

Imagine if our parents or granparents had of looked at it this way I wonder how many of us would be here now.
    As for being out of work for a while you make it sound like being unemployed is a career break for many.13% unemployment and still rising, which it will for many years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

This makes me LOL!

Rather than helping out someone with a little extra dole to pay their own mortgage. You would rather him get up to €1000 in rent allowance to pay to a property investor landlord.

Right.

that would still be cheaper than a mortgage

see renting is cheaper see :rolleyes:

i dont ****ing want my taxmoney paying of someone elses debt

bad enough we have this NAMA mess, last thing we need is bailing out people who are irresponsible

• Advertisement

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    that would still be cheaper than a mortgage

see renting is cheaper see :rolleyes:

Renting may be cheaper if you bought your house at the height of the boom. :rolleyes: You think everyones mortgage is over €1000???

Most people who bought before the boom would face higher rent than mortgage.

Anyone getting a small 'mortgage' supplement on their social welfare would still be getting a hell of alot less than what they could get on rent allowance.

You've also got all the people who live in commuter owns who have a relatively small mortgage compared to those in the city, if they were to hand back to their keys why would they stay in the commuter towns? they would move back to where they are from - seeing as it's being paid for like!
    i dont ****ing want my taxmoney paying of someone elses debt

What do you think rent allowance is? it's paying someones mortgage :rolleyes:
    bad enough we have this NAMA mess, last thing we need is bailing out people who are irresponsible

And what do you think NAMA is? it's buying bad debts - of which there will be alot more if everyone who loses their jobs hands back their keys :rolleyes:

Advertisement