Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Search Engine

• 22-10-2009 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hello Folks :)

Apologies if this isn't the right place to put this post... I just thought I'd drop in a link to http://www.mugurdy.com which is a search engine we've been working on for a while now. It's not finished, is basically still in beta, but I'd be interested to hear any feedback on it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭Silver Breeze

An Irish search? I entered "sailing" and after three pages of sailing sites from anywhere BUT Ireland, I gave up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭plenderj

An Irish search? I entered "sailing" and after three pages of sailing sites from anywhere BUT Ireland, I gave up.

Sorry - what I meant was that it's by an Irish company. It doesn't do localisation for Ireland very well yet unfortunately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

plenderj wrote: »

Apologies if this isn't the right place to put this post... I just thought I'd drop in a link to http://www.mugurdy.com which is a search engine we've been working on for a while now. It's not finished, is basically still in beta, but I'd be interested to hear any feedback on it!

Hey-is this the father and son operation I have read about in the SBP? If so well done on the PR and the very best of luck with it.

Few quick thoughts/comments...
    Sort your footer out- site looks bland to me -results shown are poor and 100% favor the big players for a quick search on Dublin Hotels (IMO). The screen size is off (on my PC).... Its also not a name that people will remember IMO-would you consider a more brandable name?

I really wish you well with the venture and everyone wants to ursurp Google-Cuil being a great example but wow your taking on possibly the biggest business name the world has ever known so kudos where due for having a go at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

Biggest name, largest accumulation of capital in the history of the planet, a 200billion dollar behemoth but hey!

Why is the first question I had. Then I did a search and it wasn't localised - like Silver Breeze.

Then I searched for "SEO Ireland" and you ranked two of my sites, but the newer, lower authority site ranked much higher than the one ranked higher by Google. Google is a good benchmark to set yourself by, they become #1 by being better- much, much better. And they stayed number #1 by being better. Much, much better. if you wanted to take them on, you should try being better. At least the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

Site too slow. Loading those thumbnails too erratic. Still waiting for 3 results from 'irish rugby' to load 2 minutes later. My guess is you are depending on having cached the pictures and obscure results aren't cached.
    Agree about the name also, to difficult to spell.
    Back to the drawing board I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Remember Cuil?

Anyways good luck going up again the big G.
    I would suggest resizing the images unless you have a serious amount of bandwidth as serving up those images for every search will use up a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Is this site not working or is that me? :?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

No submission page
    No about page
    No copyright page
    No legal page
    No contact page

How is anyone meant to contact you???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Did you try searching for the contact details? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    Did you try searching for the contact details? :)
    ROFL - no :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

ok...its a good idea. However it is lacking some things. You are connected to global websites....putting all websites into one....not just Ireland. Maybe i missed something, maybe i didn't.

However, Some of my strongest ranked pages are nowhere to be seen, weird. Do you have to manually add each website to be crawled? For an irish search engine i think the best thing to do is give the irish websites more weight or even just have irish. Unless you want to go global then, just what google, bing and yahoo have e.g search ireland, search .com etc will be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

oh....i also did a search for my company name and it automatically erased 3 of the words and used the first one only. I suppose you dont accept the "&" symbol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 krmwebdesigner

plenderj wrote: »

Looks good mate. Ireland really needs more search engines who aspire to the power of Google.

There are a couple of things that could make it better for me (as the SE user). I think most users will click on the picture thinking it goes to the website. But it doesn't seem to go anywhere. Also could you do a 'search for sites in Ireland only' option?

Looks good though. I would say though. It is hard to remember the name. What was it again? Something like searchireland or irishsearch would be a lot easier to remember.

Just some suggestions. I'd love to see this site excel.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

hey had a look at the site, i like the way it loads up the images of the page! dont know much about search engines, but i typed in gamers ireland and my page came up top! although it did throw up a second page off my site, to an news item posted which is still there but the link on the search engine doesnt work some reason, i dont recgonise the link either?! dunno if thats something wrong with my site or yours!

Looks cool though, nicework.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

This is BS. Using the exact same results as google.
    Tried web design, web design waterford, theatre, irish newspapers. Same results as google every time. Plagerism.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

I really liked it.

It is using Google Results or a combination of Google results & others but showing them in a way that Google does'nt. If you can improve the load speed and tighten up on the sidebars etc I think you really have something.

I dont understand the complaints above about using Google as you make it clear on the site that you do!

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

I like it!
    And it got me the result I wanted!

Advertisement