Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting a standard 3 bed terraced house in D12

Options
  • 22-10-2009 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Looking to paint the front and back..does anyone know how long it should take 2 people? Want to know how much time to take off work :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What type surface? If it's porous and needs several coats it'll take longer.
    What type paint?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Old Gill

Magnus wrote: »
    What type surface? If it's porous and needs several coats it'll take longer.
    What type paint?

I was hoping this wouldnt get too technical :D

Paining it same colour as already is just refreshing it so 1 coat. The surface is uneven..not sure the technical term but its a bit like pebbledash that can be painted over if that makes sense (a roller cant be used)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Crumlin area.... Two people pebbledash painting will do the front of the adverage crumlin house in a day. Maybe quicker but it pee's you off so you tend to do the froot friday The back saturday the sides and windo ledge sunday.

You biggest problem now is drying. Painting in the rain which it always seems to do around halloween is not a good idea.

ps this assumes 1 coat of simular colour. I am guessing if your considering doing it this time of year the colour is totally annoying you in which case you are changing colour which might require 2 or even 3 coats.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

Can I just hijack this. I have a two bedroom end of terrace ex council house. It was originally grey, but the vendors painted it magnolia - I then had someone working in the house and they said that the colour used seemed to be interior as it was flaking off, and if I wanted to repaint the outside I'd have to get it sandblasted off. Sounds like a nightmare, does anyone know how much this would cost and who would do this kind of job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Sandblasted? Sounds a bit OTT to me...any coating that is that defective (as interior vinyl matt used outdoors would be) should blow off with a pressure washer, which you can probably DIY.
    Anything that stays on after that can probably be regarded as a sound surface for the purpose of overpainting (assuming you are painting again).

Sandblasting is really only for removing stuff that's more or less welded on and in your case would take the surface back to the bare. If your house is grey brick (rather than render/dashing painted grey) then sandblasting is probably the only surefire way of doing that. No idea on prices though.

• Advertisement

Hi, thanks for that, it's bog standard pebbledash like all the council houses! Underneath the magnolia it's grey. It is a bit crumbly here and there, I assume it you pressure washed it, any lose paint and pebbledash bits would come off?

Grey paint or is the grey just the natural colour of the dashing?
    Pressure washing will blow off anything defective, and like I said anything remaining can be considered a sound base for overpainting. Be careful not to concentrate too long on any one area or you may take dashing off as well.

Many thanks Wertz, the colour underneath is grey, although some of that seems to have worn off as well and the dashing is coming through. I'm gonna do this next summer, can't really see myself power washing anything in this weather, nevermind paint anything!!!

If it keeps up like the last few weeks you mightn't need to powerwash it all...

I was thinking that myself :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Murdec

Impossible to paint dashing the last while , even on the odd good day , the paint still seems to be tacky the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

cltt97 wrote: »
    Can I just hijack this. I have a two bedroom end of terrace ex council house. It was originally grey, but the vendors painted it magnolia - I then had someone working in the house and they said that the colour used seemed to be interior as it was flaking off, and if I wanted to repaint the outside I'd have to get it sandblasted off. Sounds like a nightmare, does anyone know how much this would cost and who would do this kind of job?

If it was interior paint it would come off in the rain an you'd have white rivers and puddles at the bottom of the wall.
    Most likely it's just old. I wouldn't bother sandblasting it; a wire brush and elbow grease is all you need. After that, some stabilising solution could be applied before over-painting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Murdec

Easier again would be to powerwash as mentioned and ad some owatrol EB into the first coat only when you go to paint it. Make sure you buy a quality paint , sandtex smooth , fleetwood weatherclad or dulux weathershield are all good

Hard to beat a drop of EB in the first coat, of any paint job (using emulsion obviously), inside or out.
    Just make sure there's none in the stuff you use to finish coat.

Advertisement