Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is kayaking something you could learn outside of classes

• 22-10-2009 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if kayaking is something you could learn yourself, basically from research and being careful?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PjC

thats how I learned to roll, on my own in shallow water. I've been doing watersports of all sorts for about 20 years though, and swimming the same, so I would be pretty confident in the water.

I have a Dagger GTX (which is for sale if anyones interested :)) and even when I rolled and couldn flip back up it was easy enough to wet exit. The deck just popped off with a slight tug at the front. Pretty scary the first couple of times I have to admit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Got any books you could recommend or sites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

You'd be much better of learning from someone who knows what they are doing, kayaking is a watersport and is inherently quite dangerous. Basic safety and techniques which will prevent injury and accidents are very difficult just to learn from a book.

Look at the Irish Canoe Union site for a list of clubs in your area and try get in with one of them.

KenHy wrote: »
    You'd be much better of learning from someone who knows what they are doing, kayaking is a watersport and is inherently quite dangerous. Basic safety and techniques which will prevent injury and accidents are very difficult just to learn from a book.

Look at the Irish Canoe Union site for a list of clubs in your area and try get in with one of them.

Thanks KenHy. Without being smart I had hoped to avoid using clubs or similar. Don't play well in groups and rarely feel club membership to be beneficial, don't have the money for lessons etc and I personally find learning from books and experience more helpful. In saying that I'd prefer 1-2-1 lessons, but again money is an issue. Thanks though

Eh I take it all back, after a bit more research I'll look at lessons. Ahem thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭decdev

My self and my brother kayak of bray strand most weekends and i am only learning to swim but great crack often go from bray to killiney but as i say learning to swim and going to enroll in a eskimo roll class look up sheer water kayaking or seapaddling .com:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Eh I take it all back, after a bit more research I'll look at lessons. Ahem thanks

good decision. Getting the basics down correctly will stand to you later on. It also means you're less likely to get into trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

decdev wrote: »
    My self and my brother kayak of bray strand most weekends and i am only learning to swim but great crack often go from bray to killiney but as i say learning to swim and going to enroll in a eskimo roll class look up sheer water kayaking or seapaddling .com:)

Was wondering who was doing that when we were out on the safety boat :)

Do wave next time u see us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Steve.N

Kayaking is a social sport. You should NEVER go yaking on your own - any paddler will tell you the rule of three!! There should always be at least three of you out there in case you get into trouble - which may happen when you begin the sport. Having solid training is the key!!!
    I joined a club lastyear which was the best thing ever for going out with a mixed experienced bunch. Although it's a social sport, you don't have to be best pals with anyone - everyone relies on each other, so being a reliable team member is much more important than being bezzie mates!
    My advice - Take some lessons or join a club who will train you. You'll meet great people and learn loads, most importantly you'll have great fun ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Steve.N wrote: »
    Kayaking is a social sport. You should NEVER go yaking on your own - any paddler will tell you the rule of three!! There should always be at least three of you out there in case you get into trouble - which may happen when you begin the sport. Having solid training is the key!!!
    I joined a club lastyear which was the best thing ever for going out with a mixed experienced bunch. Although it's a social sport, you don't have to be best pals with anyone - everyone relies on each other, so being a reliable team member is much more important than being bezzie mates!
    My advice - Take some lessons or join a club who will train you. You'll meet great people and learn loads, most importantly you'll have great fun ;)
    +1
    Solid advice that - and it goes for any water-sport.

The thing only experience can teach you is that you never stop learning on the water and that's part of the attraction of it. It is not, however, in my opinion something you can learn from reading books as there are too many variables.

• Advertisement
Advertisement