Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Phone Thoughts...

• 22-10-2009 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hey all,

Just looking for some opinions on new phone choice as a little torn at the moment.

I'm currently on Vodafone and due an upgrade (which is lucky as my current phone is dying right before my eyes), so my initial shortlist is:

iPhone 3G (don't think I need the additional features of the "S", but can the 3G record video - not edit?)

Nokia 5800 (big fan of texting set up on Nokia, this guy seems a little bit chunky though)

Nokia N85 (looks to cover a lot of bases but I've heard mixed reviews)

As regards my usage, I text way too much thank to GF (also on Vodafone) who prefers to text not talk. But increasingly I felt it would be useful to have a phone which I could easily check mails with and perhaps use some apps, GPS, etc.

Thanks!

Which of these... 6 votes

iPhone 3G on O2
    0%
    Nokia 5800
    16%
    O2_Daryll 1 vote
    Nokia N85
    16%
    cavemeister 1 vote
    Hang on for Iphone 3Gs on Vodafone
    33%
    [Deleted User]Dankoozy 2 votes
    None/Another
    33%
    Marcus.Aureliusashleey 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

if you text way too much don't get a phone with a freaking touch screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Dankoozy wrote: »
    if you text way too much don't get a phone with a freaking touch screen
    All I do is text and ive been using a touch screen for ages :confused:
    And we all know youre the resident touch screen hater here. Just like im the resident android lover :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

All I do is text and ive been using a touch screen for ages :confused:
    And we all know youre the resident touch screen hater here. Just like im the resident android lover :pac:

not just touch screen hater

i also hate
    iPhones
    Locked phones
    Google
    Facebook
    Twitter
    "Multi touch"
    Animated interfaces on phones
    Firmware branding
    Web applications

but srsly u should wait for the n900 its a daycent phone and it runs *real* linux

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

hazardous wrote: »
    Hey all,

Just looking for some opinions on new phone choice as a little torn at the moment.

I'm currently on Vodafone and due an upgrade (which is lucky as my current phone is dying right before my eyes), so my initial shortlist is:

iPhone 3G (don't think I need the additional features of the "S", but can the 3G record video - not edit?)

Nokia 5800 (big fan of texting set up on Nokia, this guy seems a little bit chunky though)

Nokia N85 (looks to cover a lot of bases but I've heard mixed reviews)

As regards my usage, I text way too much thank to GF (also on Vodafone) who prefers to text not talk. But increasingly I felt it would be useful to have a phone which I could easily check mails with and perhaps use some apps, GPS, etc.

Thanks!
    Lets keep this to what he's asking guys.

OP, I suggest a QUERTY phone to be honest because they are very easy to text on. If you wait until mid November, the Nokia E72 is coming out - as much as I love the current E71 (which I would suggest to you now if you can't wait), the new one has more RAM, CPU Mhz, memory, better camera, improved GPS and HSDPA speeds up to 10Mbs - and it's a stunning looking phone, it has a new scroll function in the middle instead of a plain old button.

nokia-e72-001.jpg

Alternatively, if you want a keyboard as well as a touchscreen - you can always go for the Nokia N97. It's a great phone and an upcoming V.20 update from Nokia is going to make it even better. All the usual specs (GPS, 32GB, Wi-Fi, 3G and Radio) but it also has a FM Transmitor (iTrip basically) built in to send your music to your own radio (very useful in the car). And its gorgeous!

From left to right: Nokia N97, iPhone 3GS, Nokia 5800, Nokia N78.

nokia-n97-5.jpg

nokia_n97.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 hazardous

Thanks all, particularly cpu-dude!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you want a phone that can take high quality video and edit it on the phone, The Samsung Jet is worth a look.

It is great for texting because of the landscape mode qwerty KB which is faster than a normal KB with real keys.

GPS, check emails, it does the lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Lets keep this to what he's asking guys. OP, I suggest a QUERTY phone to be honest because they are very easy to text on. If you wait until mid November, the Nokia E72 is coming out - as much as I love the current E71 (which I would suggest to you now if you can't wait), the new one has more RAM, CPU Mhz, memory, better camera, improved GPS and HSDPA speeds up to 10Mbs - and it's a stunning looking phone, it has a new scroll function in the middle instead of a plain old button.

OP, I'd agree with the E71/E72 recommendation, as not only is the E71 pretty much loved by all, the form factor should suit you, as you're an avid texter.

cpu-dude, I know you were only listing the increased specifications of the E72 over the E71, but HSDPA speeds mean nothing if the network doesn't support them. Currently Meteor are the only HSDPA network capable of speeds above 7.2 Mbps; not that those speeds will be reached in the real world, but that's a story for another thread. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Rsaeire wrote: »
    cpu-dude, I know you were only listing the increased specifications of the E72 over the E71, but HSDPA speeds mean nothing if the network doesn't support them. Currently Meteor are the only HSDPA network capable of speeds above 7.2 Mbps; not that those speeds will be reached in the real world, but that's a story for another thread. ;)
    Yup I'm aware of that - it's nice to have a phone that is future proof because speed upgrades are inevitable... will take some time but inevitable ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Yup I'm aware of that - it's nice to have a phone that is future proof because speed upgrades are inevitable... will take some time but inevitable ;)

Knowing our luck, the other Irish operators will most likely jump straight to LTE, leaving those with handsets capable of higher than 7.2 Mbps speeds out in the cold.

Advertisement