Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero or Nokia N97

• 22-10-2009 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm on Meteor pay monthly and I've basically boiled it down to 2 phones to upgrade from my N95 8GB. I like my gadgets and both of these seem to offer enough to keep me interested for a while. The only difference really is the price - the Hero will be about €100 but the N97 about €270. If it was worth it I'd pay it.

I use my phone for about 50 texts a day, half hour of calls, surfing boards and a few others. Would be switching to the unlimited data bundle at the same time to maximise the use I get out of it. Want to stay with Meteor because I get free texts and calls to herself and most of my buddies which I wouldn't get with another network provider.

Any input welcome:D

Which would you chose - HTC Hero or Nokia N97 26 votes

HTC Hero
    0%
    Nokia N97
    100%
    Dingatronelderlemon[Deleted User]davehey79Raoul DukefoobarBluefoamdragonaEasy RiderPyro Boy00sullydamo86Xavier77Oafley JonessmartblaaC.D.Calebmcdiknorrcruizer22bcojomo2 26 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭iknorr

Nokia N97
    EPM wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm on Meteor pay monthly and I've basically boiled it down to 2 phones to upgrade from my N95 8GB. I like my gadgets and both of these seem to offer enough to keep me interested for a while. The only difference really is the price - the Hero will be about €100 but the N97 about €270. If it was worth it I'd pay it.

I use my phone for about 50 texts a day, half hour of calls, surfing boards and a few others. Would be switching to the unlimited data bundle at the same time to maximise the use I get out of it. Want to stay with Meteor because I get free texts and calls to herself and most of my buddies which I wouldn't get with another network provider.

Any input welcome:D

First off i havent used the N97 or Ovi.

Im biased towards the Hero. Iv used it already. I used the android app store.
    Simply put its amazing.

A friend of the missus has an N97. She said she would have preferred to wait for the Hero.

Is the N97 worth 170 more than a Hero...thats a personal choice u have to make but for me, & what iv heard about the N97, its not.

I didnt know you can get the free calls to other meteor users on bill pay also. Do i have to do anything special to do get this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'm on the older Talk 300 price plan and can keep it with my upgrade. Been reading some of the posts on the meteor forum about it too (including yours:D) so I'm def swaying towards the HTC. Had a 5800 for a day when they came out and the double tap crap drove me nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Fedule

Where in the blue hell did you find an HTC Hero for €100?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Nokia N97
    I am (was) a long time Nokia symbian user. When it was time to change my E71 I looked hard at the n97 (my wife has the 5800). On the plus side the Nokia had the keyboard and a radio. In the negative it has a poor touchscreen implimentation with S60.

In the end I changed (after 10 years with Nokia) and got the Hero - it has the best UI of any Android phone. The screen is great, has multltouch, tons of apps (the android market is so much better than OVI) and a very active modding community.

Yes the Hero is not perfect but even with its flaws it's ahead of the N97 (imho).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Fedule

If the Hero is now available fully supported by an Irish Carrier then there's basically nothing left to support the N97 (unless you really, really, really like you some physical keyboards).

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

Nokia N97
    elderlemon wrote: »
    I am (was) a long time Nokia symbian user. When it was time to change my E71 I looked hard at the n97 (my wife has the 5800). On the plus side the Nokia had the keyboard and a radio. In the negative it has a poor touchscreen implimentation with S60.

In the end I changed (after 10 years with Nokia) and got the Hero - it has the best UI of any Android phone. The screen is great, has multltouch, tons of apps (the android market is so much better than OVI) and a very active modding community.

Yes the Hero is not perfect but even with its flaws it's ahead of the N97 (imho).

Im in the same boat, I have an E71 and really really like it but im due an upgrade now reckon im going to try the hero. Do you find it a better phone then the E71 even ?

Also do you know if can you get hands free kits for them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Nokia N97
    Have the Hero so I'm slightly biased. Can't comment to much on the N97 etc but can it

Wake phone up at 6:45 and download all my feeds for the day before I get up.
    Turn wifi off when I get 60 yards away from my house
    Turn wifi back on when I get within 50 yards of my office or other locations of choice
    Track my cycle rides at the weekend and upload them to google maps/docs
    Multitask with various apps running
    ssh into some servers I manage over vpn (not yet but on the way)
    Use google street view
    Do google voice searches
    Wipe or track your phone remotely if stolen
    Customise it to death. Load new roms, themes widgets etc.

I was originally going to get the N97 but went with the Hero after reading a few reviews and seeing some video's etc. It's not perfect but it will be with the development it gets. Camera is the only downside I have. It is not hectic but I don't use it much anyway so not a major issue.

Connects to my old Nokia blue tooth kit quicker than my old Nokia did.

Cheers for the replies all.

Pretty convincing case for the Hero then. I have to say I'm liking the look of it and the customization options. Plus, it should be a bit rarer. Here's hoping it comes out in the brown colour.

Thinking of putting my N95 on adverts. It's in good nic for a years use. No real marks on it. Just a slight bit of wear on the 5 key and a bit of rubber around the edges. Any idea of the going rate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

cruizer22b wrote: »
    Im in the same boat, I have an E71 and really really like it but im due an upgrade now reckon im going to try the hero. Do you find it a better phone then the E71 even ?

Also do you know if can you get hands free kits for them ?

Wait for the E72...it may look too similar to the E71 to be considered an upgrade, but under the hood, mate, under the hood!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Cheers for the replies all.

Pretty convincing case for the Hero then. I have to say I'm liking the look of it and the customization options. Plus, it should be a bit rarer. Here's hoping it comes out in the brown colour.

Thinking of putting my N95 on adverts. It's in good nic for a years use. No real marks on it. Just a slight bit of wear on the 5 key and a bit of rubber around the edges. Any idea of the going rate?

Hey EPM - don't usually see you outside Motors! The Hero seems fantastic (although I'd go for the HTC HD2 if it were an option) - but I dunno would typing 50 texts a day on a touchscreen keyboard be a complete pain? Personal preference i suppose. Not quite the same thing but to get a rough feel you can play around with my HTC Diamond at the meet on Sunday if it goes ahead...

Nice one!

Ya thinking it could be a pain...oh well just means I won't bother texting back so:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Nokia N97
    I'm on the older Talk 300 price plan and can keep it with my upgrade. Been reading some of the posts on the meteor forum about it too (including yours:D) so I'm def swaying towards the HTC. Had a 5800 for a day when they came out and the double tap crap drove me nuts

Ha! Me too, and want to keep it, as the new price plans don't suit. Are you sure that you can keep the older price plan on upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

Nokia N97
    strecker wrote: »
    Wait for the E72...it may look too similar to the E71 to be considered an upgrade, but under the hood, mate, under the hood!

Would you go for an E72 over the HTC Hero ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Elaroo2

Hero would be my choice for tech - the open source platform of the the Hero's Android software is the future. Google products pre-loaded and lots of apps available with many more to come to overtake even the iPhone's vast Apps store.
    N97 is a good phone, Ovi store will offer services but not nearly enough. Slider keypad is a good alternative to the fiddly touch screen on the Hero but gives you a fat phone.

dragona wrote: »
    Ha! Me too, and want to keep it, as the new price plans don't suit. Are you sure that you can keep the older price plan on upgrade?

Check out the meteor forums. I asked that exact question and was given the answer from Meteor. I post under EoinM on that. New pricing is kinda crap. The old talk plans are great value compared to whats available now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Nunzie

dragona wrote: »

I've contacted Meteor regarding my soon upcoming upgrade and the new price plans. They told me that if you are upgrading you are allowed to keep the old price plan if you want. Its just they will not be offered to new bill pays. I'm sticking with mine I think, 300 minutes, free texts and calls to meteor friends, can't beat it!

And I'm LOVING the HTC, it's going to kill me to have to wait until my upgrade in January!

Advertisement