Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Life of a Shutter

• 22-10-2009 1:52pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

When will my Shutter die on me?

Just when there is the shot of a lifetime & the spare body is left at home is probably the answer.

This may be a "Double Exposure" (posted before) but it has some intersting statistics.

Camera Shutter Life

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

In general I'd expect it to be

amateur SLR - 50000 clicks

semi pro/prosumer - 100000 clicks

Pro - 150000 clicks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

And the good old bathtub curve which, in my experience, has always held good ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

duffarama wrote: »
    In general I'd expect it to be

amateur SLR - 50000 clicks

semi pro/prosumer - 100000 clicks

Pro - 150000 clicks

Are those numbers based on your own idea of value/quality or from that website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Those figures are an informed assumption ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

1d mk 3 I think is 300,000 1v slr is 150,000, mk2 is also 150,000

40d is 100,000 (?)
    5d mk2 is 150,000

someone told me that 400d,450d etc are rated for only 15,000

• Advertisement

some of those stats are flawed, a user put down over 1,500,000 shutter actuations for eos 350d and there are multiple hundreds of thousand entries also bringing it up to an average of 163,000 shutter life while the 5d mk2 is listed around 30,000, forgoten already

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

someone told me that 400d,450d etc are rated for only 15,000
    that can't be right - that's barely a year at 40 shots a day.
    if i thought my DSLR couldn't manage that, i'd be demanding a full refund.

my 1d mk2 shutter died during the summer just at the start of a gig in cork(had no spare body put it wasnt a job so it was no big deal), I think it lasted till 125,000. I knew it would die eventually but thought Id get at least another year out of it. cost 300euro to have it fixed but its like new now

that can't be right - that's barely a year at 40 shots a day.
    if i thought my DSLR couldn't manage that, i'd be demanding a full refund.

ye sounds strange, prob is wrong.
    the shutters for them cost maybe 60euro but its a complicated repair

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

My 1000D has just passed 12,000 and is still alive and hoping it will for another while, as much as I want to upgrade can't afford to at the moment!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

for most of the stats i looked at think you would need a bigger pool for the average stats to be accurate, but still interesting to get an idea of a camera

I'm at just 7000 with a 4 or 5 year old camera (2 years mine), really need to use it more

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

My 450d had 4000 odd when it went for a repair, came back to me with 9000+, so I'm a bit worried about that 15000 figure!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm at just over 9600 with my Pentax which is about 18 months old so eh I hope I get another while from it yet!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It makes me wonder how many Shutters have been fitted to the D2H's we use for the Marathon Photo's. They get shipped around all over the place. In Berlin I put over 16,000 actuations on one body alone. The first two bodies I used had problems, one was a dying shutter & the other was a wandering Reflex Mirror (still shot almost 5000 shots on that one though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I put approx 70,000 on my 350d before it bit the dust :)

God only knows what my MK3 and 5d are on (I dont want to know!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Jesus.

I never realised this could be such a problem. It's possible to replace the shutter if it dies? Also, how do you tell how many pictures you've taken with the camera?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Jesus.

I never realised this could be such a problem. It's possible to replace the shutter if it dies? Also, how do you tell how many pictures you've taken with the camera?

Its possible to get the camera fixed but it will probably be expensive. The shutter count is usually tagged in the exif info when you take a photo, so certain exif readers or software will display it.
    http://freeweb.siol.net/hrastni3/foto/exif/exiftoolgui.htm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I know the Nikon range have the Actuations in the Exif. I am not sure if Canon do the same? IIRC it's stored in the camera somewhere & only available if you have service access.

It's worthwhile having a new Shutter fitted to an expensive DSLR but that could be different for entry level models. I have heard that it is about €150 to replace it in some of the Nikon Pro Bodies. If that is the case & say you get 150,000 actuations then it's about 1c for each ten frames you shoot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

CabanSail wrote: »
    I know the Nikon range have the Actuations in the Exif. I am not sure if Canon do the same? IIRC it's stored in the camera somewhere & only available if you have service access.

It's worthwhile having a new Shutter fitted to an expensive DSLR but that could be different for entry level models. I have heard that it is about €150 to replace it in some of the Nikon Pro Bodies. If that is the case & say you get 150,000 actuations then it's about 1c for each ten frames you shoot.

I guess it's cheaper than film, still a pain in the ass though. I'd happily shoot a couple of hundred to get a handful of good pics from a day out, I guess I'll have to get a better strike ratio!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Came across this for Canon cameras - it only works on certain models though

http://blog.planet5d.com/548

The shutter count information is available *only* on Canon DIGIC III/IV DSLRs *except* the 1D* series. This means that EOSInfo will display the shutter counter for the 40D, the 50D, the 450D, 500D, and the 1000D. It will also show the shutter counter for the 5DMkII, but the camera must be power-cycled before the value is updated. The shutter counter will not be displayed (or will be displayed as "0") on the 1D*, 5D, 10D, 20D, 30D, 300D, 350D, and 400D. It's not that I have anything against the owners of those cameras, but simply that the Canon SDK does not support retrieving the shutter count for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

CabanSail wrote: »
    It makes me wonder how many Shutters have been fitted to the D2H's we use for the Marathon Photo's.

Ive done some work for them in the past in Scotland....jesus my camera doesnt half hate me after it! (And my shoulder for that matter) :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Plenty of free download software to extract the info from. I got around 12,000 shots in less than a year on my d200, which is now my second camera, I would be guessing maybe 4 or 5000 on other cameras alongside that particular one. I dont think I shoot enough though....

Advertisement