Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europe Shipping Suggestions

Options
  • 22-10-2009 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hello, I'm moving house in a few weeks and would appreciate some suggestions on reputable shipping companies. I have two boxes--one smallish box of books (approx 12 kgs) and a medium sized box of random bits (DVDs, clothes, kitchen stuff...again probably around 12 kgs). Shipping from Dublin to The Hague, NL.

I had planned to use GLS considering the weight of the packages, but am having second thoughts after reading Boards comments on their service. An Post seems quite expensive...in excess of 70 EUR per box. Any suggestions, or good experiences with GLS? Is An Post worth the extra cost?

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

At that weight it almost sounds feasible to bring along with you as checked luggage whatever way you're travelling yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

GLS are a complete joke when it comes to delivery (had another run in with them last week, where they rang several time to get me to meet them 20+ miles away cos he didn't have time to come out to me, then he rang back later to tell me he was dumping my package at a garage 10 miles away!!!!)... but on the bright side, they won't be delivering your item, that would be passed to a NL company...

However, i would still personally begrudge giving that shower 1c....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 jells bells

Yeah, unfortunately am already at my weight limit on Aer Lingus (and have my guy at his limit as well), and the overage charges figure out higher than private shipping--9 euro per kilo from recollection.

Thanks for the additional bit of personal insight re: GLS. Definitely will pass on them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

GLS are not too bad if you have all the correct contact details on the address label & you live in a town / city area.

Where they always seem to have problems is delivering to rural addresses as the driver gets the same €1 delivery fee whether its 20 km down a boreen or in a town centre.

I now use DPD (formerly Interlink) and they can deliver throughout Europe. They also have a decent network of local depots you can drop the parcels off to. www.dpd.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Hello, I'm moving house in a few weeks and would appreciate some suggestions on reputable shipping companies. I have two boxes--one smallish box of books (approx 12 kgs) and a medium sized box of random bits (DVDs, clothes, kitchen stuff...again probably around 12 kgs). Shipping from Dublin to The Hague, NL.

I had planned to use GLS considering the weight of the packages, but am having second thoughts after reading Boards comments on their service. An Post seems quite expensive...in excess of 70 EUR per box. Any suggestions, or good experiences with GLS? Is An Post worth the extra cost?

Many thanks for any suggestions!

http://www.azfreight.com/azworld/aw17905.cfm

• Advertisement
Advertisement