Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average sick in the Irish Civil Service is comparable to other countries

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

MrMicra wrote: »
    ... We clearly need a department of administrative affairs in this country.

That's Jim Hacker/Sir Humphrey territory. Yeah, that's what we need.

[I am now blowing my mind imagining Sir Humphrey trying to explain things to Bertie. That's a conversation that Jay and Lynn, for all their writing talent, would have great difficulty in scripting.]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

We clearly need a department of administrative affairs in this country.
    It's a unit of the Department of Finance, called The Centre for Management and Organisation Development (CMOD). It was decentralised by the then Minister for Finance to Tullamore in his own constituency, requiring the replacement of most of its staff and causing a massive loss of expertese. Since then, its operational costs have gone up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭MrMicra

If Sir Humphrey had been in charge decentralisation would never have happened.
    Ireland would be very lucky to have a Taoiseach as competent as Jim Hacker.

Unfortunately the Civil Service has been comprehensively Fianna Failised.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

bridgitt wrote: »
    Ask any farmer or self-employed person how many sick days they take, or can afford to take, off each year on average;)
    If a farmer had a cold, they'd goto work. If the self-employed had a cold, he'd goto work. If a nurse had a cold, and went to work in an area where people are aready sick, the virus would be spread.
    bridgitt wrote: »
    Despite less stress, more holidays and better pay ?
    Less stress? Undermanned and working long hours, I doubt the nurses and doctors have "less stress".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

To be honest, I don't think people in general begrudge doctors, nurses, Gardaí etc their entitlements and any work related stress or sickleave......Where people have a problem is the clerical and admin staff working (laugh) in the various departmental offices around the country. Motor Tax, county council staff, employees of the various quangos, clerical and middle men in the HSE, FAS & other state run bodies, etc etc etc It would be interesting to compile a list of those types of jobs in another thread maybe.

• Advertisement

If Sir Humphrey had been in charge decentralisation would never have happened.
    It didn't. Over 300m in costs and most of the people who 'decentralised', didn't live or work in Dublin and didn't even move house (which as part of the plan to stimulate the 'lucky' towns.)
    IUnfortunately the Civil Service has been comprehensively Fianna Failised.
    Which is why it's so messed up - political interferance. Jobs for the country cousins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

It didn't. Over 300m in costs and most of the people who 'decentralised', didn't live or work in Dublin and didn't even move house (which as part of the plan to stimulate the 'lucky' towns.)

Which is why it's so messed up - political interferance. Jobs for the country cousins.

Where did you get the costs for it? I never seen the govt able to come up for a figure for it.

BostonB wrote: »
    Where did you get the costs for it? I never seen the govt able to come up for a figure for it.
    Here see page 6 under the column 'cumulative costs to July 2009'.

Ironically, they paid for some of this by selling off properties in Dublin, the loans on which are probably in the NAMA bundle.

Note that it cost 20m for Arts Sports and Tourism (121 staff) in Killarney, and just 1m for half that number in Kilrush (Revenue).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

All the private sector people who are on here giving out would probably all take the sick/hangover days if they thought they could get away with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I dont agree with sweeping generalisation of either sector. its not useful and just inflamatory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭srvhead

BostonB wrote: »
    I dont agree with sweeping generalisation of either sector. its not useful and just inflamatory.

At last, a bit of sense. The govt in cahoots with the print media have created a public / private divide. Divide and conquor and they are currently lambasting us all. At the end of the day it will be the middle income earners which will carry the can yet again, be they private or public sector, possibly for decades to come. No tax shelters for the paye tax-bashed!

Advertisement