Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question Re Rent Allowance

Options
  • 22-10-2009 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

I've been renting a room in a shared house in Cork since May 2008. I lost my job and have been on the dole since April this year. When I was first laid off I contacted my landlord about rent allowance. He said he'd think about it etc. Kept phoning him back about it - he needed to talk to his accountant, his wife, he was very busy. Finally, in August he said he was ok with taking rent allowance.

I filled in my half of the form, and gave it to him to fill in his half. I then spent the next few months chasing him down to try and get the form off him - he came to the house every month to collect the rent, but never dropped over the form despite constant reminders from me. He lost the first form and asked me to get him another to fill, which I did. All this time he assured me he would sort it out every time I spoke to him. I just spoke to him again, and he told me what I've suspected for a while now, that he is not going to take rent allowance.

My rent was €320 when I moved in, recently they reduced it to €290. I share with two other girls who are working. So what are my options? Is he legally allowed to refuse rent allowance? If I move out will I be able to get it elsewhere? I can't really afford to keep paying the rent out of my dole payments.

I'm pretty sure he is not paying tax on the rent income for my house or his other properties. We pay rent in cash, have no rent book, and are not registered with the tenants board. I am going to speak with the community welfare officer on tuesday, but if anyone has any advice in the meantime?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

1. He is under no obligation whatsoever to accept rent-allowance. Many landlords refuse because of the nature of the payment (it varies, can be reduced without notice, is often paid to the tenant for communication to the landlord in arrears- etc.) It can be a real minefield.

2. The lack of a rentbook etc does not imply the landlord is not declaring and paying tax. You really should be getting a receipt for any payments however.

3. If you visit the PRTB website- you can check to see whether the tenancy is registered. Its currently about 4 months behind- but it should be there. Failure to register the tenancy carries a fine (but once again- cannot be assumed to imply a landlord's tax affairs are not in order).

If you're unable to continue paying this- you don't really have any option other than to give your landlord notice and find somewhere you can afford to live in.

Its entirely at the perogative of a landlord whether he/she is willing to accept rent-allowance, if you can't find anywhere local that does accept it- unfortunately your only option is to look elsewhere........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

How the landlord pays tax is none of your business and no bearing on rent allowance. He is well within his rights to not agree to accept rent allowance.

It doesn't look like he is going to agree to what you want so look after yourself and forget about him. Find a landlord that will accept rent allowance.

I am sure people will tell you all the things you can do to get back at him as it appears he is not following the regulations. No point in even bothering unless you want to be petty. Many landlords will not accept rent allowance due to the real danger of tenants not paying rent if they lose the allowance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Hey OP
    Ensure you have claimed rent tax relief on rent you paid from May 2008 up until April 2009. Every cent helps. You can get a Rent 1 form on www.revenue.ie
    If the landlord is dragging his heels on filling out your rent supplement form and you are having difficulties managing without it, start looking for somewhere else to live pronto.
    Feel free to contact the enforcement section of the Prtb stating your tenancy is not registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭aceygray

Kipperhell wrote: »
    I am sure people will tell you all the things you can do to get back at him as it appears he is not following the regulations. No point in even bothering unless you want to be petty. Many landlords will not accept rent allowance due to the real danger of tenants not paying rent if they lose the allowance.

I'm not interested in "getting back" at him, I don't want to make things difficult for the two others living here. I guess I'll have to start looking for another place, and find out up front if they will accept it. It's annoying, because I've always paid my rent on time, even since being on the dole.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Does anyone know how common it is for landlords to refuse rent allowance i.e. will it be difficult for me to find a new place?

snubbleste wrote: »
    Hey OP
    Ensure you have claimed rent tax relief on rent you paid from May 2008 up until April 2009. Every cent helps. You can get a Rent 1 form on www.revenue.ie

I don't think I can do this if we are not registered with the ptrb. Also, I'm pretty sure the landlord won't give me his PPS number which is required on the form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

you are entitled to the rent tax relief whether your landlord is registered or not - it's not your problem if he's not declaring the rental income

there is a space for his pps number on the form but it is not required.

Xiney wrote: »
    you are entitled to the rent tax relief whether your landlord is registered or not - it's not your problem if he's not declaring the rental income

there is a space for his pps number on the form but it is not required.

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks!
    Kipperhell wrote: »
    How the landlord pays tax is none of your business and no bearing on rent allowance. He is well within his rights to not agree to accept rent allowance. .

Yeah, I realise that now. I wasn't sure whether he was obligated to or not. Now I'm just pissed off that he didn't let me know up front, but kept fobbing me off til now.

Advertisement