Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People that like knowing what picture won a compitition.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_8318000/8318226.stm

Does the winning picture not look over PS? as does pic #3
    I like pic #2

#3, bigtime, looks like tons of stuff has been cloned out of the background. The first one ? I don't think so, It just looks like a really good shot that the photog went to painstaking lengths to get. Fair deuce to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

"I wanted to capture a photo in which you would see a wolf in an act of hunting - or predation - but without blood," he told BBC News. "I didn't want a cruel image."

titter titter...so now carniverous animals hunting and eating other animals is cruel. They really should be more humane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

titter titter...so now carniverous animals hunting and eating other animals is cruel. They really should be more humane.

Yeah, political correctness gone mad, fine picture though and IIRC the second year in a row the comp has been won by a picture captured by an unattended camera trap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

You could perhaps photoshop the first and second picture together? ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nilhg wrote: »
    Yeah, political correctness gone mad, fine picture though and IIRC the second year in a row the comp has been won by a picture captured by an unattended camera trap.
    plus, it's a film camera too, which i found surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

plus, it's a film camera too, which i found surprising.

why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

Reminds me of watching March of the Penguins. The bit where the leopard seal attacks the plucky penguins which manage to get away. Then later I watched the Attenborough version of similar events where the seals definitely came out on top!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Just had a look at the Springtail on Snowflake one and it looks a bit iffy IMO. The DoF seems way off. In focus all over the frame except behind the insect. :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why ?
    because film cameras featured rarely in the winning images from three years ago (which is the last book i have from this competition), i'd say they'd be even rarer now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

oshead wrote: »
    Just had a look at the Springtail on Snowflake one and it looks a bit iffy IMO. The DoF seems way off. In focus all over the frame except behind the insect. :confused:

It looks like there's nothing directly behind the insect to be in focus... it's on a flat snowflake, the others are sticking up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

oshead wrote: »
    Yeah it certainly defies normal expectation, it almost looks like it's shot through a pane/filter which has some snow on it. Haven't seen snowflakes through the MP-E65 before, the micro-terrain may be quite clumpy but there's just not enough information in the image to build a 3d model in your head. Most unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

elven wrote: »
    It looks like there's nothing directly behind the insect to be in focus... it's on a flat snowflake, the others are sticking up.

To magnify snow flakes and a springtail to that size the lense would have to be set to between x3 to x5 of lifesize zoom. Coupled with the large sensor size on the 5D MkII, it seems highly unlikely that the plain of sharp focus (less than a millimeter @ f14) would get the whole scene in focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

God....another competition to moan about.

Personally i think the Wolf picture is great, so much work has went into it and he got the shot he desired.
    He might not have been there, but there is a lot more to getting top wildlife pics than pressing the shutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I really like AR's title of this thread.

It's a fantastic description of that certain type of person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

The winning photo is one of the best photographs I have ever seen. There is so much in it. I could look at it for hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Yeah? Glad you could pull yourself away from it to view this thread!
    and Fajitas I write as I speak has been thrown at me many times... :o

You'd probably like the title I used for this picture.
    http://pix.ie/punkrock/1294324/size/800

(It was my 2nd choice word, can you guess the 1st? I can be tactful at times you see...)

Yeah?
    Yeah! BTW why do you think it is Photoshopped? Looks natural to me. That's coming from someone who hates HDR with a vengence.

aaahhh I'm no PS expert so.....I just think it looks fractionally like a painting rather then a picture.
    I'd like to see a LARGE version of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

To be honest I think it's an absolutely amazing winning picture, my jaw dropped when I saw it..

i believe there is some dissention over the fact that the photographer did not actually trip the shutter himself.
    not that i agree with that viewpoint, i think he did a fantastic job.

• Advertisement

i believe there is some dissention over the fact that the photographer did not actually trip the shutter himself.
    not that i agree with that viewpoint, i think he did a fantastic job.

He done the research, learned about the wolves patterns, waited, planned and set up.

Thats enough for me to be honest.

aaahhh I'm no PS expert so.....I just think it looks fractionally like a painting rather then a picture.
    I'd like to see a LARGE version of it.

Yeah, I'd like to see a bigger version too. My feeling though is that it is a cold evening at dusk/dark. I think that that is what gives the shot it's tones. Might be wrong but I hope not. The concentration in the eyes is incredible. The more I look at it ...........sorry ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

first one looks real to me and I *heart* it;), I'd agree that yer man did follow these wolves around and planned his setup for weeks. Remote trigger or not fair play to him.

Mark Carwardine certainly knows what it takes to capture just such moments, and if anybody is up for a good read the book he co-wrote with Douglas Adams comes highly recommended. It's called 'last chance to see' :)

*now go read and no it's not a book about photography :D

Eirebear wrote: »
    God....another competition to moan about.

I think why people sometimes criticize competition winning shots is because they expect to see a very high standard and not one they can probably or think that they can capture themselves.
    An example is we say one of our better Photographers here such as we say Fajitas as an example I have a very bad habit of only thanking his random picture shots rarely,
    Why? Not because I don't think they're good but I expect that high standard from him and they have to be very very good b4 I thank them, probably not fair as if it was a random Joe Soap churning out the same high quality pictures I'd probably thank a lot more!
    Doesn't make sense eh? But that's just the way I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Agree (for once !) with AR above.

Personally, I'm storing Fajitas and his fabulous stuff up for a very very rainy day and then I'll ascend ever so slowly into my personal heaven (or maybe purgatory! ) !

http://www.alhigginsphotography.com/blog/

T.

I think why people sometimes criticize competition winning shots is because they expect to see a very high standard and not one they can probably or think that they can capture themselves.
    An example is we say one of our better Photographers here such as we say Fajitas as an example I have a very bad habit of only thanking his random picture shots rarely,
    Why? Not because I don't think they're good but I expect that high standard from him and they have to be very very good b4 I thank them, probably not fair as if it was a random Joe Soap churning out the same high quality pictures I'd probably thank a lot more!
    Doesn't make sense eh? But that's just the way I see it.

Sorry dude, i wasnt having a dig at you when i posted that.

I think its a self esteem/confidence thing in many ways in terms of the ultra criticism of competittion winners that happens on forums like this. (With the HUGE exception of the LAte Late show a year or so ago..they were friggin awful).
    Many of us wouldnt have the confidence to even enter a competittion such as this, or even one of less "Prestige" so we then sit back and think...well do you know what..i could possibly have done that! when we see the winning shot(s) without actually gong and doing it for the next time.

That, and people like to moan! ;)

As for Fajitas, i am a massive fan of his work, and im enjoying watching his career progress. However i dont like it all...but that brings us back to "What is good" again. Its all subjective.

Often my main gripe with competitions is that the winning photo has nothing to do with the rules laid down. The photo is picked by some idiot judge who just likes it and has forgotten what he/she is judging.

I don't think a photo has to be "technically" perfect at all to win.

The winner in this case ticks all the boxes though,

Advertisement