Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doberman marking his territory TOO strongly

Options
  • 22-10-2009 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

I have a smelly problem, my 7 yr old Doberman is marking his scent on the wall outside my back door every chance he gets, trouble is the wall faces north and gets no sun to help dry it out. The smell is very strong and although I hose it down regulary, its really bad again within days. I've used bleach, washing-up liquid, white spirits but he keeps using the same spot everynight after he's fed, we have two other dogs but they're both female so no problem with them, any ideas on how to stop him using this particular spot to mark? I've tried shouting at him when I see him doing it but clearly that's not working as I don't catch him every time, I'll try anything at this stage (except having him "done") Hubby won't hear of that and its more his dog than mine so I can't insist on that and I would'nt want it anyway as he's a really sweet natured lad, its just this one problem with him. :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

check what you use to clean it with, I have heard that cleaning solutions that contain amonia will actually actract a dog to pee where you clean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Paul91 wrote: »
    check what you use to clean it with, I have heard that cleaning solutions that contain amonia will actually actract a dog to pee where you clean

That's true- most pee-trining sprays contain ammonia.

Try making a solution of water and biological washing power. The enzymes will break down the proteins and starches in the pee and remove all traces of scent that the dog looks for. Hose down the wall with water and washing-up liquid as you've been doing to remove any stains on the wall and then spray the water/bio washing power mix on the wall and leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Here's an off the wall (pardon the pun) suggestion

(any ladies present, please avert your eyes)

After the next cleaning of the wall, get husband to pee on it, possibly right in front of the dog (if not in front of the neighbours :D)

The theory behind this is as follows:

In the dog pack, it's the job of the leader to mark the territory. Underlings do mark as well, but they never (should) mark over the bosse's "signature" or otherwise they'll be in trouble with the boss.

Now, your Dobi might need reminding of that rule (i.e. grumbling at by the boss) in the first few instances ...but after a while the message should sink in and hopufully he'll get out of the habit and (with some encouragement) find a less smelly spot to do his marking and leave you to clean the wall for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

I'll go and try the bio powder and water mix now, I hopes it works. Thanks guys. I'll post and let you know if it works. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

gypsygirl wrote: »
    I'll go and try the bio powder and water mix now, I hopes it works. Thanks guys. I'll post and let you know if it works. :)

Best stuff I have found - great inside and outside the house. If you want to disinfect the wall after you clean it, use some chlorine bleach (to tell the difference - it'll smell like a swimming pool!) and rinse well. Leave to dry before letting the dog near it. Hope it solves your smelly problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

peasant wrote: »
    Here's an off the wall (pardon the pun) suggestion

(any ladies present, please avert your eyes)

After the next cleaning of the wall, get husband to pee on it, possibly right in front of the dog (if not in front of the neighbours :D)

The theory behind this is as follows:

In the dog pack, it's the job of the leader to mark the territory. Underlings do mark as well, but they never (should) mark over the bosse's "signature" or otherwise they'll be in trouble with the boss.

Now, your Dobi might need reminding of that rule (i.e. grumbling at by the boss) in the first few instances ...but after a while the message should sink in and hopufully he'll get out of the habit and (with some encouragement) find a less smelly spot to do his marking and leave you to clean the wall for good.

Brilliant, I laughed at this although I do see the logic behind it, lol. I can just imagine asking hubby to pee on the wall after Nigel does. "Go on quick Tony, get out there and have a good pee, Nige just marked YOUR territory" :D. It usually happens early evening after the dogs have had their meal, I'd have to warn all the neighbours not to look out their windows between 5 and 8 pm. :D and althought Nige belongs to the hubby (officially) he actually has a lot more respect for me, so maybe I should do the peeing, Lol, imagine that, what would the neighbours think. On second thoughts, try not to imagine that. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

gypsygirl wrote: »
    Brilliant, I laughed at this although I do see the logic behind it, lol. I can just imagine asking hubby to pee on the wall after Nigel does. "Go on quick Tony, get out there and have a good pee, Nige just marked YOUR territory" :D. It usually happens early evening after the dogs have had their meal, I'd have to warn all the neighbours not to look out their windows between 5 and 8 pm. :D and althought Nige belongs to the hubby (officially) he actually has a lot more respect for me, so maybe I should do the peeing, Lol, imagine that, what would the neighbours think. On second thoughts, try not to imagine that. :D

hahahaha :p:p:p

Advertisement