Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban Hype hairdressers and you know who

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭well butty

robtri wrote: »
    where did you arrive at that from :confused:
    I said it need to enhance the city and compliment the local area...
    not just one building...

"when it comes planning for cities and twons, aspects of the design need to take into consideration its neighbouring buildings, and its local surrounds."

I just mentioned the buildings that were neighboring Hype!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭foxylad

i think hype is an iconic building - well done to Eddie & his crew -

we have Sinnotts dic store and his neighbour a few metres away - where they cannot demolish the buildings to make them functional because they are iconic 1950's design ---gimme a break

the ESB building can be given the same remodeling as the tax office at the Glen -
    one of Londons sexiest Hotels St Martins Lane is the same type of design as the ESB and is a great london festure
    http://www.stmartinslane.com/#/photo_gallery/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

foxylad wrote: »
    i think hype is an iconic building - well done to Eddie & his crew -

we have Sinnotts dic store and his neighbour a few metres away - where they cannot demolish the buildings to make them functional because they are iconic 1950's design ---gimme a break

the ESB building can be given the same remodeling as the tax office at the Glen -
    one of Londons sexiest Hotels St Martins Lane is the same type of design as the ESB and is a great london festure
    http://www.stmartinslane.com/#/photo_gallery/

More like because the last time those buildings were for sale, the owner was looking for €1 million plus. I agree with Robtri and Sully. Unfortunately most of the buildings in that area are houses not commercial property so I doubt anything will be done to improve that area. The fact is that any development on John St. has been put to the wayside thanks to the efforts of McCann. Look at the corner to Waterside or even Muldoons which would have been re-developed years ago if it wasn't for him. This is a fact I've seen numerous plans over the years and all were objected to by him.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Problem is is when they do get the go ahead they build awful looking buildings like Masons, Masons is in NO WAY in keeping with anything. Its a eye soar and will date awful quickly.

Its clear whoever is over city planning is doing a pretty damn poor job,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭foxylad

cool buildings -
    Urban Hype
    A Wear
    govt building, the glen
    bus station
    Fitzwilton Hotel
    Old Tom Murphy car sales ballybricken
    jack jones
    fitzgeralds menswear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Cabaal wrote: »
    Problem is is when they do get the go ahead they build awful looking buildings like Masons, Masons is in NO WAY in keeping with anything. Its a eye soar and will date awful quickly.

Its clear whoever is over city planning is doing a pretty damn poor job,

Masons was dated before it opened. Horrible building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

well butty wrote: »
    It's a matter of opinion but i would suggest that that structure will win a design award. It's got quality written all over it. Maybe some of us are unable to see that!

It won a design award last week:
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Urban Hype wins top salon design award
    By Deirdre Dalton

WATERFORD based salon, Urban Hype, has won the Design Award at the Annual Schwarzkopf Professional Irish Hairdressing Business Awards.

Urban Hype, owned by Dervla and Eddie Mulligan, won the award for the impressive design of the salon, which is based on John Street.

Having battled long and hard to gain planning permission for the site for many years, Mr. Mulligan of Waterford Paint Sales, finally got his wish to create the ultra modern salon.

The city businessman, who is originally from the Johnstown area, previously told Waterford News and Star that he faced financial ruin because of objections made to the plans he had for the area.

He was forced to re-mortgage his house to pump money into the sites due to the obstacles he faced in the planning process, which he felt were completely unwarranted.

At one stage he had plans on the cards for a site at the junction of Waterside and John St. that he couldn’t progress for three years.

The awards, which have grown from strength to strength and are now in their seventh year, recognise the movers and shakers in the hairdressing business.

There were 13 different categories in this year’s awards, including Newcomer of the Year, Website of the Year and new to the 2009 event Editorial Salon of the Year, as well as the overall National Salon of the Year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is this thread now in a loop?

Advertisement