Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marks and Spencer - In Rip Off Drogheda

Options
  • 22-10-2009 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Check out Marks aand Spencers

Christmas and New Year "Food to Order" magazine that they are handing out in Drogheda.

The check out the same in Northern Ireland

Here's a few comparators, which are based on €1 = £0.90, and expressed in euro....

Page 4 Whole organic free range devon bronze turkey RoI = €75.60 to €99 UK = €59.22 to €77.55, depending on size, that's around a 30% mark up

Page 5 Whole organic free range bronze turkey RoI = €57.96 -to €79.55 UK = €44.40 to €60.94 that's again around 30% more in Drogheda

Page 16 Scottish Lochmuir Salmon Haddock and cod roast RoI = €46, UK = €35.55 that's only a 29% mark up

I like Marks and Spencer but being charged extra just because we live in the South is not on.

and there is no VAT on food south of the border as far as I know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I was in Debenhams in Newry today looking for a Christmas party dress....most of the dresses have a price tag that shows both currencies, one of the tags showed the price as £60 or €92, so if i bought it in Newry with my credit card I'd get it for €67, but if I bought it in the ROI I'd have to pay €92. That's only one example of the way we're being robbed blind. Then we're being lectured about cross border shopping:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

I was on the Enterprise recently. The conversion rate from € to £ on the bar food and drinks was about 40%. Now there's no way the costs to them can be different as it is the same place just on the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

Same old story, was in Marks today in Drogheda and there was a gents shirt on sale for 35 euro.
    Stg price underneath the euro sticker was........£20! :mad:

CPL 593H

Debenhams are the worst for this. Go over a bit to england and they are nearly twice the price in euro to sterling coversion. You really cant blame people shopping up the north while this continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

*stephen begins to organise the buses for crossing the border this Christmas* :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I was on the Enterprise recently. The conversion rate from € to £ on the bar food and drinks was about 40%. Now there's no way the costs to them can be different as it is the same place just on the move.

Is it cheaper to buy goods on the Enterprise in sterling or euro? I've always wondered this. Which currency do they apply the 40% charge on?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

40% is applied to Euro as the service is run by NI Rail. €4.60 for a can of Heineken/Guinness/Budweiser etc. on the ol' Enterprise!! :D

Why anybody even shops in M&S is a mystery me. They basically sell the same mass produced British rubbish that Tesco do. Or worse again it's 'Produce of South America or Eastern Europe'. They even import potatoes to Ireland!

In fairness to them, they do have the best working conditions of any supermarket chain..

*sorry for all the edits :p

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

40% is applied to Euro as the service is run by NI Rail. €4.60 for a can of Heineken/Guinness/Budweiser etc. on the ol' Enterprise!! :D

Why anybody even shops in M&S is a mystery me. They basically sell the same mass produced British rubbish that Tesco do. Or worse again it's 'Produce of South America or Eastern Europe'. They even import potatoes to Ireland!

In fairness to them, they do have the best working conditions of any supermarket chain..

*sorry for all the edits :p

Yeah, and others are catching up with them. Not the store of former years

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Because Tesco own-brand food is revolting?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

eth0_ wrote: »

Does me fine.:confused:

I prefer Dunnes/St.Bernard but Tesco have a few nice things foodwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

..... They basically sell the same mass produced British rubbish that Tesco do. ...
    Do they really tho'?

Is all Milk really bottled in the same place for Tesco, Dunnes, SuperValu, Avonmore etc ??

eth0_ wrote: »

They both outsource to the same suppliers all over the UK, Europe and South America. There is no difference between Tesco branded food (not the value branded stuff obviously) and Marks & Spencer branded food. Both are revolting. Since when did microwaveable meals become quality food??

Not sure I understand the milk question. 'Think Tesco & M&S Irish milk is produced and packed in the north. Dunnes & Supervalu are probably the same. Avonmore is Avonmore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 horsetv

Hi i emailed M&S on the above this is the reply

Hi A Turner

Thanks for your e-mail regarding the prices at Marks and Spencer

Unfortunately the prices in our stores are decided by the store manager, so please speak to the store regarding this matter.

Sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused and thanks for your e-mail

Enjoy the rest of your day

If we can be of any further help, please feel free to contact us on 0845 609 0200. If you are calling from overseas call us on +44 1925 672 317. Or you can reach us by using the following link http://www.marksandspencer.com/contactus

Kind Regards

Rachel Ashton
    Marks & Spencer Customer Services
    Registered office: Waterside House, 35 North Wharf Road, London, W2 1 NW.
    Registered Number: 214436 (England and Wales)

View and track your orders online:
    http://www.marksandspencer.com

Did we successfully answer your question?

If yes, click here:
    http://www.marksandspencer.com/gp/rsvp?pid=erquheah3249017182&response=Y

If not, click here:
    http://www.marksandspencer.com/gp/rsvp?pid=erquheah3249017182&response=N

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

horsetv wrote: »
    Unfortunately the prices in our stores are decided by the store manager, so please speak to the store regarding this matter.
    I thought prices were decided by head office :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

Is it cheaper to buy goods on the Enterprise in sterling or euro? I've always wondered this. Which currency do they apply the 40% charge on?

i noticed that too today- the prices in euro compared to sterling were a rip off!

People earn more in the south so goods tend to be more expensive. Don't know why people are shocked by this..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

People earn more in the south so goods tend to be more expensive. Don't know why people are shocked by this..

That's part of the reason, plus there's higher store rental and insurance, higher vat etc.

Which is why we shop in Newry! :)

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    That's part of the reason, plus there's higher store rental and insurance, higher vat etc.

Which is why we shop in Newry! :)

Core problem is high wages drive up the price of everything here. The transfer of hundreds of millions into the British economy will only only delay the pain for everybody this side of the border. I find shopping in a supermarket mindnumbing and depressing enough without having to travel 50k to do it!

Advertisement