Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NO MODERATOR???

Options
  • 22-10-2009 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Anyone get word on their licence for a centrefire inc moderater? Got word today that my licence applications would not leave my local station because i had ticked the silencer box.. Had to re apply without moderator. Is this just down to my local super??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

I reckon so JD it looks like your not the only one either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 bang

JDBLASER wrote: »
    Anyone get word on their licence for a centrefire inc moderater? Got word today that my licence applications would not leave my local station because i had ticked the silencer box.. Had to re apply without moderator. Is this just down to my local super??

Me too.
    The Drama continues ,
    went to see the sergeant today as planned with the note he asked for the Mod.
    very pleasant, had my rifle application in front of him,then dropped it
    "The super is not issuing permissions for a silencer, nothing against you personally he has put a blanket ban on silencers nobody is getting one" Unquote.
    then proceeded to put an x through the box I had ticked for silencer. said he would input the data today to get the rifle cert issued for me.

says there is nothing he can do with the silencer scenario.

I left it go as he was adamant, and the last time I pushed him with the Park, and countryside alliance and general calls he was very irritated and I waited a very long time for my rifle,
    so the plan is get the rifle cert then re-approach the situation.

23 years with licensed firearms and they can still do what they want

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

does this need appealling?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I got my licence granted and i ticked the mod box. The grant letter made no mention of any conditions or refusals for the moderator but also made no mention of the moderator itself. I'll know for definite when the actual licence comes through.

As for your application if the Super has deemed your reason for the moderator as "not good enough" then i think he within his right to refuse you. Not sure if you can appeal it like a refused licence.

Check to see if its the Super or just your FO that will not forward the application. If its your FO then tell him you have every right to apply for the moderator. Be careful how your word it as your FO will have the ear of your Super and if he refuses to help, you can be sure he will recommend the same to the Super. If they still will not play ball then arrange a meeting with the Super and ask him face to face what his concerns are. I had a similar experience with another matter and got all the reasons and excuses over the phone. When i got into the car and drove over i was met with a different attitude (more pleasant and willing to compromise) and eventually got what i wanted. Never underestimate the value of face to face talks.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

JDBLASER wrote: »

did you have one off her before ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well, if the super will put it in writing that there's a blanket ban and noone will get a moderator, then a court case would seem to have a very good chance of overturning his decision since the Supreme Court ruled in Dunne-v-Donoghue that blanket bans cannot be introduced as they're subversions of the authority of the Dail (they are de facto rewrites of the firearms act bypassing the oireachtas and that's not generally thought to be on by the powers that be).

But I'd be getting on to my NGB and having them have a word with the FPU via the FCP before I'd be calling my solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

ezridax wrote: »
    I got my licence granted and i ticked the mod box. The grant letter made no mention of any conditions or refusals for the moderator but also made no mention of the moderator itself. I'll know for definite when the actual licence comes through.

Same as that, first time applying for a moderator. (22lr &.223)

Terrier wrote: »
    Same as that, first time applying for a moderator. (22lr &.223)

Sorry, should have been clearer. I had a permission letter signed and stamped on a yearly basis for both my .22 and .308, which i left a copy of with my application. My FO said it would not be necessary but i done so anyway. Did not mean to come across as a first time applicant for a moderator or to seem disingeuous.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Ticked the moderator box on the form for a new rifle, FO rang me about three weeks after i had left the form in saying the super wanted a valid reason. Done up the letter sent it in got my approval letter last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Utterly ridiculous to be treating people this way. Cops were on the radio today bemoaning the fact moral was so low in the force. Well don't expect people to be happy with ye treating people like JD that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭JDBLASER

To further my woes! With my licence being turned down due to application for mod I received word from Scotland this afternoon informing me they cannot issue a visitors permit for my stalking trip on 15th nov. My very helpful FO is trying his best for me and has re applied for my licence minus mod and hopes to have an answer next week, alas this will be too late to get paperwork sorted for Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

lets hope every thing will work out JD.

i thought this new firearms bill was going to bring uniformity ,instead it has given supers even more powers to do as they wish .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

My Super was giving me the run around.........................

FPU spoke to him and I no longer got the run around :cool:

Best thing to come from this while debacle is the FPU IMHO. At least we have somewhere to go to ensure we are getting a fair hearing before we have to contemplate a solicitor and the District Court

Contact your NGB and/or the FPU it's the only way these roque Supers will be reigned in ;)

Lads, let the system work for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

My Super was giving me the run around.........................

FPU spoke to him and I no longer got the run around :cool:

Best thing to come from this while debacle is the FPU IMHO.

Here's an idea ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

JD, I am in the same district as you and got the same story. I'm applying with the mod anyway, if they don't want me to have the mod then they will grant the license without it, at which point a genuine reason for refusal will be sought by me. If they can't provide me with one then I will have to go to the courts with it. I shoot on land with a lot of livestock nearby, including horses so they will have a job saying I don't need one.
    This is like applying for a rifle and your told, "she doesn't like rifles, would you not just get a shotgun". Not the guards fault, he is only following orders, and was nice about it, it all down to the super.

What is the FPU?

Garda Firearms Policy Unit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Bunny, how did you contact the FPU?

01-6661924
    01-6661911

Try either of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

As for your application if the Super has deemed your reason for the moderator as "not good enough" then i think he within his right to refuse you. Not sure if you can appeal it like a refused licence.

Check to see if its the Super or just your FO that will not forward the application. If its your FO then tell him you have every right to apply for the moderator. Be careful how your word it as your FO will have the ear of your Super and if he refuses to help, you can be sure he will recommend the same to the Super. If they still will not play ball then arrange a meeting with the Super and ask him face to face what his concerns are. I had a similar experience with another matter and got all the reasons and excuses over the phone. When i got into the car and drove over i was met with a different attitude (more pleasant and willing to compromise) and eventually got what i wanted. Never underestimate the value of face to face talks.

same here got my grant notice for my 308 and 17 i applied for, nothing on it ref moderator not granted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

01-6661924
    01-6661911

Try either of these.

Ops you let the cat out of the bag there. :eek:

I didn't think those numbers were made public :D:):D:)

clivej wrote: »
    Ops you let the cat out of the bag there. :eek:

I didn't think those numbers were made public :D:):D:)

Rang up the Park and the Garda on the phone gave me these numbers. Shouldn't think they were "restricted" (get it) otherwise she wouldn't have given them to me.

Besides its only for firearm and legisaltion type questions. Anything to do with your licence (fee, who to make payable to, address, etc) you ring the number on top of your granting letter. 1890 333555.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Hibrion wrote: »
    Bunny, how did you contact the FPU?

Thought the NGB's (National Governing Bodies) I am a member of, namely NARGC, Midland National Shooting Centre of Ireland and NRAI

or you can ring yourself afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Thought the NGB's (National Governing Bodies) I am a member of, namely NARGC, Midland National Shooting Centre of Ireland and NRAI

or you can ring yourself afaik
    I was given to understand that they prefer to get the stuff routed through the NGB's. This is for a number of reasons: firstly that some of the stuff could be handled at NGB level and wouldn't need their input (problems with forms, understanding the legislation etc.), and secondly so that they wouldn't be fielding too many calls about the same thing, where the NGB could highlight this in one call.

So it's about efficiency really. Your call might already have been made by an NGB.

I know I've handled stuff that didn't need to get to the FPU where there seemed to be a problem but as it turned out it was an incorrectly filled in form or misunderstanding the legislation.

The famous 'tick the box for a scope' problem was a case in point.

That's not to say they won't take your call, but bear in mind that there are only a couple of them there and they are getting around 150 calls a day. They also need time to talk to their colleagues 'in the field' to clear up problems as they arise.

Edit: Just in case you don't know who you can ring as an NGB:

NTSA, NASRPC, CAI, ICPSA, NARGC, NRAI, MNSCI, SSAI, IGPA, IDS, IFA, ISA, FDA.....

There's a whole alphabet to choose from :D

You might find that your problem has already been dealt with ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

rrpc wrote: »
    I was given to understand that they prefer to get the stuff routed through the NGB's.

Contact your club's committee members if you don't feel comfortable approaching an NGB, they might well have the answer already, or be able to get 'em quicker. I'm the point of contact for my club and we've sorted out lots of problems already. The FPU are helpful but very swamped at the moment and I reckon most questions have been answered already, several times over, to members of your club or NGB. Ask them first.:)

Advertisement