Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3day work week

Options
  • 22-10-2009 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I am currently on a 3 day week,. Since June. We were told it would be reverseable when the economy picked up. However, my boss called me in to advise that they wanted me back to a 5 day week but with a 10% reduction on my orginal salary. This means i will actually be taking home less money then what i am at the moment on my 3day & dole for 2 days. I don't want to sound ungratefull but i'm just wondering if they are in the right to do that. he basically told me that he could not lie to the social welfare and would have to inform them that my job was available full time again if i refused. There are 5 other people in my department and this offer is not open to them. This i fear will cause extreme tension also when it comes out.

Just looking for some advise on whether i can challenge them a bit more..

I have no contract with them and have been working there for 4 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

>my boss called me in to advise that they wanted me back to a 5 day week

excellent, things are looking up

>but with a 10% reduction on my orginal salary

If you say yes, then in effect, leaving aside the 3 day period, the bottom line is you'd be taking a 10% pay cut from this tie last year, now that is alas normal, so nothing too bad there so far

>This means i will actually be taking home less money then what i am at the moment on my 3day & dole for 2 days

thats bad

conclusion:

I'm sure he would love to have you there 5 days a week because it would be good for his business, and infact you might even prefer going in 5 days if you like the job, but you have to look after your business (ie. yourself).

So it boils down to this... Is it a long term job with prospects? or is it a low end job where you can never progress.

If it is the former then stick with it and bite your tongue, but if its the latter then this looks like alot of messing aroung, I'd be thinking of staying on a 3 day week and trying to find something else for the other 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think Vector has a good point, if your employer answers yes to the possibility of full time employment question then your 2 days dole will stop.

I bet your employer hasn't considered you turning down the option of full time hours, if your days are set you should be able to pick up something else.

Bare in mind possible cuts in the dole after the next budget though.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

I might be working this out wrong in my head, but if 5 days work nets you less money then 3 days and 2 days dole, that seems to indicate to me that your new salary will be below minimum wage.
    Or is my maths all screwed up?

Advertisement