Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BEST TRUE CRIME BOOKS?

Options
  • 22-10-2009 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭

As the title say whats the best true crime book around?

For me having just read the westies by t.j english i found it fascinating, and i cant get enough of the whole genre of true crime books.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

One of my favourites is Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets by David Simon. Not focused on any crime in particular, more about the Baltimore homicide detectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Someone will definitely suggest In Cold Blood, by Truman Capote, but I'm going to get my dissent in first. It's a great story, badly written.

On a more positive note, I'd nominate:

10 Rillington Place, by Ludovic Kennedy, for its passionate uncovering of a miscarriage of justice.

Hunting Humans, by Elliot Leyton, for an insight into serial killing by the man who seems to have invented the concept.

Beyond Belief, by Emlyn Williams (I think): Brady and Hindley. A tough read, but not quite as never-eat-again disturbing as....

Gordon Burns' book on the Wests. I think it's called Happy Like Murderers. Whatever it's called, and I'm a little too squeamish to go googling for any of these right now, it made me question why I ever learned to read. Bleach my mind's eye, please. Horrible, horrible stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 oopsbritney

Try A complete histor of jack the ripper by Philip Sugden, comprehensive doesn't even come into it. Blows the nonsense theories out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Waffle

The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: or the Murder at Road Hill House by Kate Summerscale

A child is murdered and the murderer is one of the inhabitants of the middle-class English household.
    As well as being very entertaining, gives good insight into the 19th century detective.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

'The Stranger Beside Me' by Ann Rule is a truly enthralling read. It's about how the author worked alongside Ted Bundy as they were volunteers in the Crisis Centre (like the Samaritans)..they formed a close friendship. All the while Ann - an ex policewoman was a confidante of the cops who were working on the missing girls case. Her dawning horror as she faces that the friend she'd confided in and spent so much time with is a monster is truly fascinating.

• Advertisement
Advertisement