Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pork Shoulder

Options
  • 22-10-2009 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭

I have a bit of a stupid issue with going into butchers, if I'm asking for a cut of meat I've never bought before I have been known to panic just after the 'How can I help you love?' bit, assume the cut of meat doesn't exist if I can't see a big sign for it in front of me and that I'll make a sap of myself asking for it and end up walking out with chicken fillets. Tragic, I know!

Anyways, I want to make carnitas this weekend (from this recipe), if I go into a butchers and ask for pork shoulder will they know what I'm talking about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sounds great.
    Any half decent butcher should be able to give you boned shoulder of pork!
    If they don't - go elsewhere.

Try asking for cow cheeks and see how far you get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

ypu yup any good butcher will help ya out, tell them what ya want (5cm cubes, fat removed wtc) and they will be more tha n happy to do it for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Anyways, I want to make carnitas this weekend (from this recipe), if I go into a butchers and ask for pork shoulder will they know what I'm talking about?

When I find a recipe with a cut of meat that I am not familiar with I bring the recipe with me to show the butcher.

Haven't gone wrong yet and still learning. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Legends, thank ye :) No chicken fillet failure-carnitas in my house this weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Only got round to making these this weekend and the carnitas are the absolute and utter bees knees. Got an entire shoulder of muc for a tenner (2.4 kilos) and had a meat feast. It turns out that even at our hungry-hungry-hippo-ist my boyfriend and I cannot finish 2.4 kilos of meat so I have a sizeable amount left to play around with this week, it's the meal that just keeps on giving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Pork shoulder is a fantastic cut, very cheap and very tasty. Good luck with yours!

Advertisement