Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United All Breed Registry

Options
  • 22-10-2009 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi guys

In the process of trying to acquire a hard to get breed.
    I have located a person with pups but it says they are registered with united all breed registry as opposed to IKC.
    Is this a good or bad thing, whats the difference.
    Thanks
    Supermario

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Sounds like a dodgy reg to me. Have you tried the UK for pups? Or perhaps ring up the IKC and ask them about registered breeders for that breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

It's not dodgy actually - it's an american version of say the IKC (not saying it's the only american one.
    http://www.unitedregistry.com/index.asp for more info.

But what it does mean for you - is that it's not registered with the IKC, thus possibly not recognised by the IKC here, so if you're paying big money for the pup - I'd reconsider, because usually you pay for the breed to be IKC in the price for the pup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

star-pants wrote: »
    It's not dodgy actually - it's an american version of say the IKC (not saying it's the only american one.
    http://www.unitedregistry.com/index.asp for more info.

But what it does mean for you - is that it's not registered with the IKC, thus possibly not recognised by the IKC here, so if you're paying big money for the pup - I'd reconsider, because usually you pay for the breed to be IKC in the price for the pup.

Sorry, but having looked at that link, I'd have to disagree that its an American version of the IKC. It appears to be a registry set up for puppies yes, but if you read the FAQs, it allows registration of cross breeds. I don't want to start a discussion about cross breeds against pedigrees, but to me, that policy seems to be about making money. If you register a crossbreed, but call it one of the designer dog names, cockerpoo etc, then you can sell it as having papers, making it more official looking.

So, in my opinion, they do look dodgy.

OP, are the pups that are registered with this organisation in the USA? Or are they here in Ireland, but registered over there? If they are here, but registered over there, then I would personally wouldn't touch the litter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭SuperMario

Sounds like a dodgy reg to me. Have you tried the UK for pups? Or perhaps ring up the IKC and ask them about registered breeders for that breed.

Iv tried IKC, but the waiting list for the pup in question is very long.
    My last hope is maybe NI or even UK.
    Id prefer not to have to travel to UK,but it looks more and more likely that i will have to

ISDW wrote: »
    Sorry, but having looked at that link, I'd have to disagree that its an American version of the IKC. It appears to be a registry set up for puppies yes, but if you read the FAQs, it allows registration of cross breeds. I don't want to start a discussion about cross breeds against pedigrees, but to me, that policy seems to be about making money. If you register a crossbreed, but call it one of the designer dog names, cockerpoo etc, then you can sell it as having papers, making it more official looking.

What I meant was it was an american registry for dogs - not saying it's exactly like the IKC or has their standards. Either way, it's fairly useless having a pup registered with them (whether they are good bad or indifferent) because it means nothing over here and as you said probably not worth the money or the aggro getting one.

• Advertisement

ISDW wrote: »

OP, are the pups that are registered with this organisation in the USA? Or are they here in Ireland, but registered over there? If they are here, but registered over there, then I would personally wouldn't touch the litter.

Pups are here in ireland, doesnt state where there registered, just says there registered with united all breed and that they come with three generation pedigree (thats not worth anything at all)

So ye think i should stay clear???

SuperMario wrote: »
    Pups are here in ireland, doesnt state where there registered, just says there registered with united all breed and that they come with three generation pedigree (thats not worth anything at all)

So ye think i should stay clear???

Strange that they're registered in America when they're over here. That would make me awful curious about the breeders tbh.

The thing usually with buying a purebred is that part of the money you pay is basically for the pedigree - and usually if you get them here, they're registered with the IKC. For them to be registered elsewhere means sweet f-a to you, thus what are you paying for? (I would assume it's not cheap for this pup).

Personally, I wouldn't fork out if they're not registered here or at least with the English Kennel Club (and even then I'd have to consider it).

The pup is bout 300 euro cheaper than it usually is.
    But at the moment the IKC say there are no IKC registered breeders for that breed expecting pups for the next few months.
    So i presume the breeder in question is either not registered with IKC or as star-pants said the puppies are a cross.
    They dont look like a cross in the photos but then again i suppose its hard to tell when their a pup

Well, as lore and ISDW have said - it doesn't sound quite right, I mean, you've no way of knowing about health checks or if the pedigree is properly legit. You could end up with having to pay for a lot of problems. Both the other posters have pretty much said they wouldn't touch them with a barge pole and I would agree.

At least if they were registered with the IKC you would have some idea of the truth behind the breeders / health of the pups/parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

Just out of curiosity what breed are they?

• Advertisement

Just out of curiosity what breed are they?

Chow Chow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Where did you find this breeder? Was it an ad from the net? most of those are scams etc.

If the dog is in ireland then it should be registered with the IKC, should be no reason for it to be registered with some funny club in the states.

Sounds well dodgy to me so stay well clear.

Contact the the Chow chow club of ireland from the IKC and enquire about pups there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Chow Chow

If/when you do get your pup, can I just come to your house for a week and just stare at the ball of fluff? Pretty please? I can cook :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Chow Chow
    They are not that rare in the UK. Maybe try contacting the Kennel Club for a list of accredited breeders.
    We met a red Eurasier (sp) last week, looked just like a Chow, was a gorgeous little fella.

00112984 wrote: »
    If/when you do get your pup, can I just come to your house for a week and just stare at the ball of fluff? Pretty please? I can cook :pac:

Ye can all come over and we'll look at the ball of fluff until the cuteness wears off..... if thats even possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Hi OP,

There are a few Chow Chow breeders in Northern Ireland that attend some of the IKC shows at the IKC show grounds in Cloghran, Dublin (just out from Dublin Airport). I was speaking to some of them at one of the larger competitions they had on, I can't remember which one it was though.

If you go up on one of the shows, you'll be able to see their dogs in the ring and have a chat to the competitors, who are generally breeders, and see if they are running any breeding programs or find the breeder they got their dog from. See http://ikc.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=32&Itemid=47 for a list of show dates, it looks like Nov 15th is the next large one

Theres a show on there this monday, 26th, Bulll Breeds champ show.

Would there be chow chows at that show do u think?

Yes there will be, judging starts at 9am and will go on for most of the day.

Advertisement