Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts - UCD or Maynooth

Options
  • 22-10-2009 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hey!
    Im thinking of doin Arts - Geography and Music to be exact - to go onto teaching.I was thinkin both UCD or Maynooth.Just wondering which one you all think would be better.
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

From what I have heard, the music department in Maynooth is much much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Fad wrote: »
    From what I have heard, the music department in Maynooth is much much better.
    :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Geography in UCD is ****ing brilliant in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

UCD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

the ucd arts building is pretty damn depressing, but then again i havent seen maynooths

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

leesmom wrote: »
    the ucd arts building is pretty damn depressing, but then again i havent seen maynooths

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Maynooth is the coldest place one earth.

The open day was horrifically cold (But then the canteen burned down, so that kinda made up for it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 doorknob_opener

My friend is doing music in Mynooth and loves it there, and he's one of those ''my life is for the music by the music'' types - aka would have been hard to please.

On the other hand, I alos heard that Geo in UCD is great.

My biased opinion says UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

My friend is doing music in Mynooth and loves it there, and he's one of those ''my life is for the music by the music'' types - aka would have been hard to please.

On the other hand, I alos heard that Geo in UCD is great.

My biased opinion says UCD.

Geography in Maynooth is more focused on physical and environmental geography whereas ucd is more human and urban so whichever interests you more...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Not to derail anything but Im suprised no one has mentioned geography and music with an interest in getting into teaching, is that really a realistic option as a career path these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

leesmom wrote: »

Ah, Newman Building ain't so bad tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

Grimes wrote: »
    Not to derail anything but Im suprised no one has mentioned geography and music with an interest in getting into teaching, is that really a realistic option as a career path these days?
    Not really. Certainly not if you wish to teach in Ireland any time soon.
    The best subjects to do to get into teaching are languages (Irish in particular) Sciences, or Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If you're posting the question in the UCD forum, wouldn't that indicate you have made some kind of a choice already? (unless you've posted in both :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Yes very realistic. Music jobs though scarce are the only job where one will get a permanent position inside a year. Most part time teaching job is scare at this time but music and Irish are the best for a permanent position. Geography is great for subing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Geography in UCD is ****ing brilliant in my opinion.

+1 to that. First year geography in UCD is more focused on the 'Human Geog.' aspects, but in Second and Third year you get to choose from a lot of modules ranging from glaciation to the geography of Latin America. If you prefer physical geography you can aim your modules in that direction, and the same for human geography.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Job prospects for the majority of courses in college, probably aren't great at the moment.
    Do what you'll enjoy!

Advertisement