Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Since it is the season...] Daddy's little devil

• 22-10-2009 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

zombie.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

C&C or random image?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Now theres a look...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

C&C or random image?

Either or.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Well if its for C&C you will get more results if you put that into the title, and if its a random image well then there is a thread for that, its very good ppl can thank your photo if they think its good and there is a weekly winner.

TBH I dont like the image, it like a lot of you images looks a wee bit washed out and lacks vibrancy, I think bright solid colours work well in kids photography.

I dont really like the pose much either, is the child only three? looks like trouble brewing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

It's one thing saying 'kids photography' and lumping it together with a complete style saying it has to be vibrant colours etc... the clue here is "tis the season" (halloween...) and it would look a bit silly to do a spooky picture with happy bright colours. Or, maybe that's too obvious.

If she has goth type inclinations, she'll love you for it in a couple years ;) I'm sure she had fun posing - it's way better than the awful, awful pictures of me dressed up as a magician at 8 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

elven wrote: »
    it's way better than the awful, awful pictures of me dressed up as a magician at 8 years old.

We'll be the judge of that. Post 'em :D

We'll be the judge of that. Post 'em :D

++

Well if its for C&C you will get more results if you put that into the title, and if its a random image well then there is a thread for that, its very good ppl can thank your photo if they think its good and there is a weekly winner.

TBH I dont like the image, it like a lot of you images looks a wee bit washed out and lacks vibrancy, I think bright solid colours work well in kids photography.

I dont really like the pose much either, is the child only three? looks like trouble brewing ;)

Here's the part where I have to disagree. I shoot tons of children. Coming home, cutting out the pouty faces, moving the saturation slider to the right and calling it a day is eroding. I deliberately go for 'washed out.' I record the manic laughter at the playground, the pouts and the frowns because it is my thing.

Plus, as she is my daughter, I get to show her future boyfriends photos like this in the hope of warning them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I like it fenster and agree with elvins c+c of it. Only thing I'd say is the White sky blows that part of the pic a bit too much.

My daughter and I had a discussion about saturated children's photos...

puke.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Fenster wrote: »
    My daughter and I had a discussion about saturated children's photos...

Who won?? lol

Draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Draw

Bonus!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

Where I agree with you about saturated images not being the only way to process an image of a child there are lots of ways of doing it without just sliding the saturation slider down the opposite direction.
    I have to say I like the image. I like it because it's different to most images of children. Because it's your own child you will look at the image as not just a representation of your daughter but as a continuation of your journey into the art of processing images.
    As family photographers with children we have the oportunity to take dozens of images of our own children looking sad, grumpy, pouting as well as apoplectic with laughter and giddiness but for clients I don't think this would be a seller and as the vast majority of parents want images of their child frozen in time looking happy, safe and loved. They also want the true personality of their child to shine through. For most people therefore the saturated images seem to work well and maybe this is the reason that people baulk at an image of a child looking genuinely scary and not just cute in a halloween outfit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Ure site is very impressive Lynn, very high quality images and the website is very fast and efficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

i like your stance on the desaturated shots, you're making it your own expression not just another sparkly colourful bright shot of shiny eyed kids ;) i love when photographers are comfortable with their own identity and create shots they really love despite the fact that they may not necessarily be considered 'good' in the conventional terms of a genre.

i think this is a good shot, the light, contrast and composition all work really well here. her expression is great, so deadpan and almost zombie-like, a real halloween shot! the desaturation works really well in creating a spooky atmosphere here, the tones of her skin especially suggest something a bit unearthly lol.

Where I agree with you about saturated images not being the only way to process an image of a child there are lots of ways of doing it without just sliding the saturation slider down the opposite direction.
    I have to say I like the image. I like it because it's different to most images of children. Because it's your own child you will look at the image as not just a representation of your daughter but as a continuation of your journey into the art of processing images.
    As family photographers with children we have the oportunity to take dozens of images of our own children looking sad, grumpy, pouting as well as apoplectic with laughter and giddiness but for clients I don't think this would be a seller and as the vast majority of parents want images of their child frozen in time looking happy, safe and loved. They also want the true personality of their child to shine through. For most people therefore the saturated images seem to work well and maybe this is the reason that people baulk at an image of a child looking genuinely scary and not just cute in a halloween outfit.

Actually it is a seller. I started off severely limited by both my available equipment, available time and income to purchase new equipment, so I went for the lowest denominator in children's portraits: Outdoor, natural light photography.

I am not trying for those timeless perfect studio shots. There are many other very fine men and women (yourself included) out there who will get those portraits. I'm the photographer who'll get out into the field (sometimes literally) with the child. I'll bring myself down to their level and roll in the dirt with the subject and capture it all - the tears, the laughs, the pouts, the frowns and the mischievous grins. The reception to my zombie photos has been strongly at the end of amusement and novelty, and indeed, I've already had two clients come forward and ask me to turn their kids into zombies for the season.

I have to stress that I do not disdain studio work: It is simply not my forte. I do not personally find it interesting at this point in time, but with a return to Ireland imminent that may change. Watch out, Lynn. (New) World Photography might become (Old) World Photography. :)

darling2.jpg

I am not trying for those timeless perfect studio shots. There are many other very fine men and women (yourself included) out there who will get those portraits.

But I'm not a studio photographer either. Maybe you've only been looking at my newborn stuff? I shoot outdoors in natural light weather permitting and I use natural light 99.9% of the time and don't have a studio but travel to clients' homes unless they're newborn. I know where you're coming from, I really do but it's simply not true to say that all family photographers do is up the saturation and don't experiment.
    I'm the photographer who'll get out into the field (sometimes literally) with the child. I'll bring myself down to their level and roll in the dirt with the subject and capture it all - the tears, the laughs, the pouts, the frowns and the mischievous grins.

This makes me laugh a little because it sounds as if you're the first person to think of it. it's really nothing new, I would say ALL location photographers do this. Anyway, I don't want to start an argument but wanted to clear up what you thought I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

i wonder is there a cultural difference in the market for what people find desirable at a commercial level - between the states and here at home.

You might be right there AnCatDubh but generally I would say it's pretty similar. It's just there are a hell of a lot fewer days suitable to taking pictures of younger children outdoors than in a lot of the US which probably has a bearing on the look of most Irish portraits.

• Advertisement

You need to find families willing to brave the wind and rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

It's different, and slightly odd. And for that reason I love it. I was going to delve into what you were looking to achieve from the photos, did you mean to do x/y/z, but you've already answered my questions. And I commend you for straying from the norm. At least it's not like porcelain pictures I saw posted earlier :D.

And as for the blown out sky, 90% of studio photos I see of kids have purposely blown out white backgrounds, so I can't really see why it's even mentioned. I think it suits the photo and it gets a thumbs up from me. Well done

Advertisement