Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In The Well: PrivateEye

• 22-10-2009 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from this thread, it is time for our next brave volunteer to face the questions. I think a lot of people have been looking forward to this one, it's PrivateEye!

*applause*

For those of you who are unsure of how this works, please read the thread I linked to above.

A few rules:

1. Keep questions limited to fashion/appearance issues
    2. No personal questions
    3. No discussion of the answers. Questions only and only PrivateEye answers them.

If you want to add your name to the list you can do so in the thread linked to above.

I will leave this thread open for a week or so.

My first question for PrivateEye: Has your 'style' changed a lot over the last 5 years?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

You're always quite stylish when I see you out and about. Do you have specific 'going to college' clothes and 'going out' clothes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

PrivateEye, are you a guy or a girl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Bit of info: 19 years young, male, Dub, student (I wouldn't say full time so much as some times....)
    PrivateEye, are you a guy or a girl?

Balls of steel, balls of steel...
    Has your 'style' changed a lot over the last 5 years?

Hmmmm,well, yes- in line with my interests.

If asked to sum up my 'style' in a few words, I'd say
    "no mate, have this photo instead"

I love the look of bands like The Specials and The Pogues, who mixed formal and informal fashions. Suits down the pub, that kind of vibe. I'm madly in love with some of the classic brands too, the vintage Fila and Fred Perry stuff in particular. Brit-brands in short.

In the last 5 years, well yep, from the time I was making my first pay checks, the dosh was often going on clothes.

I've build up a massive collection of 'classic' gear, most of it 'semi formal' stuff, jumpers and shirts, Freds in particular. Building it up for years.

I love the feeling of taking a new box home, the blue and the stripes, and knowing the wageslip went on them and not a sh/te night in 21s, like every other 17 year old (yep,17) at the time.

You're always quite stylish when I see you out and about. Do you have specific 'going to college' clothes and 'going out' clothes?

:pac:

Nope, I get a fair bit of grief in the class out at Maynooth on occasion for strolling in looking post-night out, but I think clothes were made to be worn. Bar its p!ssing down rain and I'm going to get wrecked, its grab whatever is on the hangers. Keep it smart.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

If money was no object, what would you just have to have in your wardrobe?

You're a stylish lad, what way do you like your ladies to dress?

If money was no object, what would you just have to have in your wardrobe?

While I'm lucky in that the clothes I like are all quite affordable taking it you dont blow money on rubbish, I think this:

vespa-fred-perry-100th-3-540x368.jpg

is probably the most lavish Fred Perry accessory yet :)

Clotheswise, quite keen on a good bit of the Raf Simons line, especially jeans wise, but not with them price tags....
    You're a stylish lad, what way do you like your ladies to dress?

Classic, sophisticated, plenty of black, stuck in the same timewarp as me and nice accessories. To basically steal well dressed women from Lookbook (Cause thats what the thing is for really isn't it)

One
    Two
    Three

Are all on winners aren't they? Thats casual and nice and its as much 'down the pub' as 'off somewhere nice', because all th ree outfits avoid the cliches of both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I've always been a fan of the sharp mod ska skin look too but now that it's becoming fashionable again do you see yourself changing style just to be off-kilter with the highstreet?
    Whats more important, fashion or style.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

It's always been that way, great things go in and out of fashion. Sometimes good things become fashionable and get completely bastardised in the process (Suspenders, Ties, Hats, all have suffered at the hands of Topman on occasion...)

Saying that, they do say it ain't what you wear but how you wear it, and its best not to change the wardrobe because of a style blog.

It's always nice to see more two tone, laurels and top button shirts on kids but :cool:

Whats more important, fashion or style.

This is fashion.
    :eek:

Style is individual, fashion is a magazine.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Ive three qs for mr eye!

Firstly as an adidas conniseur (sp?) do you think an adidas store in Dublin would be heaven on earth or would id dilute the brand with the fact that everyone would be wearing originals? (even more than now)

Secondly, who is your style icon?

And last but not least, what brands do you feel will make a big impact on mens clothing in the near future?

Firstly as an adidas conniseur (sp?) do you think an adidas store in Dublin would be heaven on earth or would id dilute the brand with the fact that everyone would be wearing originals? (even more than now)

Adidas is the most hit or miss brand in the world, but I think everyone should own a pair of Gazelles! I dont think we need a store, Size? keep the best ones in stock. I reccomend a trip to In-Ger-Land to save money on them but! The Firebrand zipups from Originals are worth a look, and always heaps of them online. nice and plain, three stripes and the classic logo on the front left, no writing.
    Secondly, who is your style icon?

Terry Hall from The Specials was always good.

shangs-on-shirt.gif

SHANGRI LAS!

b0138193_104764.jpg

the_specials.jpg

And last but not least, what brands do you feel will make a big impact on mens clothing in the near future

The current boys at the top are safe, I'd love to see the Cheap Monday line do better (beyond the jeans they produce loads of nice stuff) and Lyle and Scott to get their priorities back in order- seems they're producing nothing but sh/te at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

what's the worst trend in fashion at the moment. male and female

• Advertisement

Everything went a bit flourescent for a while, that was def. terrible.

All these things are unfortunate:

crocs-shoes-banned_49.jpg

keffiyeh-examples.jpg

Ridicolously skinny jeans on men (though I think slimfit jeans look better than bogey baggy jeans)

Blokes wearing hates, waistcoats and crucifixes. More Boyzone than Topman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

So Mr PrivateEye - you do have quite a stylish bent. Let's say that you had to get dressed up for a formal occasion. Would you eschew the more traditional suits, or how would you attire yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I hated the Keffiyeh trend too, I wore them all the time before they got trendy!

Do you use any beauty products Private Eye? I know theres a lot of guys out there spending more and more on moisturiser etc.

And whats your favourite shop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Ah, I was secretly waiting for this! :)

If you were given a thousand euro to spend on clothes / accessories, would you prefer to splurge on one designer item or spend it all on the high-street / on cheaper items? What would you buy?!

If you were given a thousand euro to spend on clothes / accessories, would you prefer to splurge on one designer item or spend it all on the high-street / on cheaper items? What would you buy?!

Never waste a grand just to carry 20 bags home, one bag full of actual goodies instead!

I'd waste about 200 or 300 on one go on a nice coat, the same on a good suit (I'm fond of these, have one but not got the spare money anymore for another -who does?), and a couple of other key investments in the form of good quality jumpers and jeans. If I blew it all on Tshirts or cardigans or some such 'Shopping Centre Spree', I'd hate myself for ever when they shrunk one by one in the wash :rolleyes:

I used to be guilty of near constant high streeting. Basically I'd go 'Friday night out again? Another 'kebab/taxi' job? Waste of money', call in sick with the mates and buy something nice. I try avoid buying t-shirts on the high street because you're guaranteed a bump in on the streets. The only tshirts I tend to wear now are old band shirts (Pogues, Shangri Las, The Specials, Black Flag, The Clash, Alkaline Trio off the top of my head...) or plain ones. I don't think I own any 'random bloke from Sesame Street' shirts.
    I know theres a lot of guys out there spending more and more on moisturiser etc.
    True story:

Last January, I was popping into Boots to grab this perfume my mate basically seems to live in for her bday. As I'm leaving, I notice they're flogging all the mens stuff from before Christmas as men obviously dont spend a huge amount of time hanging around that section of Boots.

So, I ended up with a decades worth of Hackett London moisturiser, shaving cream (proper 'out of the bowl' stuff!), aftershave stuff etc.

When do I honestly have time in the morning to use it? Rarely!

Let's say that you had to get dressed up for a formal occasion

I've three suits, which I had to buy for odds and ends over the years (I'm sounding old now and only 20 years on the planet...). I spent a good bit on one, pittance on one, and one was from the young mans best friend- Topman.

I can honestly say the Topman suit is by far the best, and always complimented on. A great slimfit, I'd as often wear it out on the town wuth no tie as to formal larks.

Basically this one, http://www.topman.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=17551&storeId=12555&categoryId=55967&parent_category_rn=38990&productId=1237523&langId=-1
    though I actually remember paying a bit less than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'll give this a couple of more days for any last questions. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

I have to say I absolutely love your style. Do you think its influenced by the type of music you listen to and the places you go out to? I'm taking it you listen to the bands on your tshirts so I think the first question is pretty much answered

Do you think its influenced by the type of music you listen to

Oh hell yep. I like mixing formal and informal, nobody does that right anymore. A lot of the 'indie' bands or kids dont quite get it right. I just like the idea of looking well, but not forced.

In other words a good shirt and a jacket can look well, but a lad in a waistcoat, check shirt and a tie will normally just look a bit forcec, Westlife and Topman window display.

thepogues.jpg

The+Specials+specials.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Ever find your style gets copied? By people you know, or people you might see out and about in the same places?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Which brand do you like better Thor Steinar or LONSDALE?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement