Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got a 360 today, few questions

• 22-10-2009 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭

Got an elite today in Smyths and got a few questions.

Whats the Recreation, Pro, Underground thing about? Does it make any difference what I pick?

Do people text on XBL? I have a wireless keyboard for my ps3 and use it alot cos people dont really use headsets. I was thinking about getting the Messenger controller thing but if people dont use them then I mightnt bother.

And finally, I dont want to be replacing batterys every time they die in the controller. Does the play and charge kit have a rechargeable battery and wire? Whats the best thing to buy?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    I dont want to be replacing batterys every time they die in the controller. Does the play and charge kit have a rechargeable battery and wire? Whats the best thing to buy?

Cheers.

Yeah it does. Well worth the price. otherwise you'll go through the batteries like a mad baxtard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Whats the Recreation, Pro, Underground thing about? Does it make any difference what I pick?

Do people text on XBL? I have a wireless keyboard for my ps3 and use it alot cos people dont really use headsets. I was thinking about getting the Messenger controller thing but if people dont use them then I mightnt bother.

And finally, I dont want to be replacing batterys every time they die in the controller. Does the play and charge kit have a rechargeable battery and wire? Whats the best thing to buy?

Cheers.

Makes no difference.

If it's just a regular PC-style USB wireless keyboard and mouse it should work on the XBox, usually I'd only send/receive messages when I'm not using my headset.

I'll allow others to advise on batteries, I quite like the official one and have had no problem with it, I know people who have had problems with Gamestop and other ones. One good thing is the long charger wire compared to the PS3. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DHYNZY

Reacreation, pro etc.. doesnt make a difference.. as long as you can play well people don't really care online.

ive never come across a game that uses text, but id say its handy for name entries and things.

lastly, the play and charge kit is the best thing you'll spend your money on. ged'it.

enjoy gaming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I'm sure i seen elsewhere that the recreation/pro thing means they'll try group you with similar people to play against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Cheers.

Doesn't matter too much, supposedly you are paired with other players in same category you choose but doesn't really make a difference that I've noticed. Pro is for 'good at games, take seriously' recreation is self explanatory and u/g is for don't mind cursing etc.

Txt msgs not used too much, waste of time I'd say. USB keyboard should work too by the way if you wanted a pretty cheap option.

Defo get plug n play thing, well worth the €15/20

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Id get a USB Keyboard but im using wireless so no USB port left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Id get a USB Keyboard but im using wireless so no USB port left.

Normal usb hub will work if you need it

How much did you pay out of interest?

300 with wireless adapter, 3 month live, 10 euro software voucher, gears and PGR4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

as someone has already said , your probably better off getting the official play and charge kit. i have a gamestop own brand one which dies too fast and can be tricky to get the cable to stay in sometimes.

Is ODST any good?

• Advertisement

Is ODST any good?

keep away from everything with "halo" anywhere in the name. ;)

keep away from everything with "halo" anywhere in the name. ;)

Seriously? I was planning on getting Halo 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I have it but very rarely use it. I can see myself maybe using it a lot more when the Facebook/Twitter stuff gets launched and I'll be typing more often. I don't sign into MSN/Windows Live Messenger on my xbox (I have laptop beside me) but I'd say it would be handy if you do sign into Messenger. Unless you plug in a USB Keyboard and it works.

Definitely get the play&charge kit. Probably one of the best purchases I have made anyway.

Get yourself some MS Points and do enjoy some great Arcade titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The only time I enter text is when I get MS Points, other than that it's the headset all the way.

+1 for the Plug n' Play kit and +2 for the official one.

Haven't played ODST but the reviews seem solid. If you're after 360 exclusives though then pick up Mass Effect, Gears Of War 2, Crackdown, Dead Rising, Fable II, Earth Defense Force 2017 and Ninja Blade.

Also, given your username I'm guessing you're coming from a long period with the PS3. In light of that, once you've gotten accustomed to the 360 controller and Live then please note that the majority of multi-platform games are better on your new console so it's certainly something to consider when you're looking at titles outside of the above.
    Winters wrote: »
    Get yourself some MS Points and do enjoy some great Arcade titles.
    Yea there are a lot of these available at this stage, I may miss some but, excluding non-HD remakes and re-releases here goes: 'Splosion Man, Alien Hominid HD, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Braid, Castle Crashers, Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2, Lucidity, N+, Shadow Complex, South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play!, The Maw, Trials HD, Wik and the Fable of Souls, TMNT: Turtles in Time Re-Shelled, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Rez HD and 3 on 3 NHL Arcade.

it might be worth a second hand buy but its very childish imo. if you like racing games you have to get forza 3.

gizmo wrote: »
    Also, given your username I'm guessing you're coming from a long period with the PS3. In light of that, once you've gotten accustomed to the 360 controller and Live then please note that the majority of multi-platform games are better on your new console so it's certainly something to consider when you're looking at titles outside of the above.

better in what way? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

if i were you i would go and buy some rechargeable batteries, there pretty cheap and are well worth it by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

The play and charge kit is much better than rechrageable batteries and works out cheaper than a decent pack of rechargeables + charger.
    Besides the better controller I'd assume in direct graphic comparisons etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

i got my rechargeable battery on e-bay cost me 4 euro new plus posting and packaging was free took 6 working days to come from the usalook up rechargeable battery xbox 360 and u will get it

A good starting point to see the difference would be, as retrogamer pointed out above, Richard Leadbetter's series of Face-Offs on the Digital Foundry section of Eurogamer. There you'll see the various graphical and frame rate differences between a range of titles as well as, of course, some games which perform the same across both consoles.

The forthcoming releases of Ghostbusters (360) and Bayonetta are likely to reignite the issue as much has been made of the differences between platforms on both titles with the latter even getting two different scores from Famitsu magazine.

While some argue that the differences are negligible unless testing side by side, if these differences are known and you have both consoles then outside of controller/online system benefits, why would you not want to get the "best" version?

• Advertisement

gizmo wrote: »
    A good starting point to see the difference would be, as retrogamer pointed out above, Richard Leadbetter's series of Face-Offs on the Digital Foundry section of Eurogamer. There you'll see the various graphical and frame rate differences between a range of titles as well as, of course, some games which perform the same across both consoles.

The forthcoming releases of Ghostbusters (360) and Bayonetta are likely to reignite the issue as much has been made of the differences between platforms on both titles with the latter even getting two different scores from Famitsu magazine.

While some argue that the differences are negligible unless testing side by side, if these differences are known and you have both consoles then outside of controller/online system benefits, why would you not want to get the "best" version?

:rolleyes: please dont tell me you take any of eurogamer, ign, gametrailers etc. bull seriously. every one of those sites are aimed at attracting the biggest amount of pre teen fanboys and it just so happens the 360 has more people that age playing.

this is from their SF4 "comparison"
    We'll go into the differences in more depth in a minute, but the key change is that every single close-up sees the PS3 game dynamically downscale to 1120x630, whereas the Xbox 360 game continues to remain at the full 720p resolution. The combination of no AA, plus the enlarged pixels can result in a few ugly scenes, but in most cases it is barely noticeable - 60fps is maintained, and it's amazing how much a super-smooth refresh rate can hide, especially on a game as fast-moving as this one.
    . really??, how interesting. :pac:

now obviously that will mean the world to some people but in reality its just a joke of a website keeping its main users happy by giving them ammo for forums and youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Definitely get the play and charge kit. So handy just to plug it in quickly and keep playing if youre controller knocks off while mid game.

I have the messenger pad also. Even with party chat I still receive and send a fair few text messages. Having to use the PS3 controller to enter letters for the odd few messages is so slow and annoying.

it might be worth a second hand buy but its very childish imo. if you like racing games you have to get forza 3.

Yeah really looking forward to getting it tomorrow. Played the demo tonight and well impressed. It was one of the main reasons I got a 360 today tbh.

:rolleyes: please dont tell me you take any of eurogamer, ign, gametrailers etc. bull seriously. every one of those sites are aimed at attracting the biggest amount of pre teen fanboys and it just so happens the 360 has more people that age playing.

this is from their SF4 "comparison" . really??, how interesting. :pac:

now obviously that will mean the world to some people but in reality its just a joke of a website keeping its main users happy by giving them ammo for forums and youtube.
    If you want to ignore technical break downs of various multi-platform titles rather than inaccurate fanboy drivel then so be it, but why ask for sources if you're going to just ignore them? On that note, as someone who is interested/involved in the field I can also tell you that the DF section is far from what you've described and is quite an interesting read if you take the time to do so.

Oh and if you think those articles are bad then you'll just hate this one. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I don't want to derail kev's thread, my comment was made with plenty of supporting evidence and for his own benefit should he chose to look into it himself. If not then fine but I have no intention of getting drawn into one of those childish comparison arguments. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭howiya

The play and charge kit is well worth it. Used to use rechargeable batteries but they'd die at the most inconvenient time!

Looking forward to playing Forza 3 and the new Pro Evolution

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Welcome to the xbox!

PLay and charge kit is well worth the money. Best investment I made.

Despite what someone said above about Halo, its a pretty good franchise and the games are good (no brilliant) if thats your genre... Havent played ODST yet, but its got good reviews. Halo 3 is also pretty good and looks terrific on a big screen with a 720p connection.

Be preparred to get eaten alive with xbox live trash talk from 10 year old American kids (who are disgustingly good at Halo). It can be fun to listen though. Playing games against people in the US can be frustrating as 9 times out of 10 the host will be in the US and unless you have a very good broadband connection with a good ping time, your going to get gobbled. Oddly, I've seen some unbelievably good Dutch players on Xbox live.

The arcade download feature is terrific and there are some REALLY cool games for very little money. All can be downloaded and played for Free, so you can get a real taste for the game. Its usually "Level 1" only.. and all other levels are locked.

Muppet Man.

Lads what are the best 360 websites and forums? (apart from this one of course:pac:) Ive got loads of ps3 sites bookmarked but only this forum for 360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Don't get caught up in the Halo hype. Halo 3 is an overhyped game that at best is average. In fact the 3 Halo games that I played are all the same game but with better graphics each time. Boring repetitive levels and irritating enemies do not a classic make.

Play GOW and then buy GOW2 they are far superior.

Then get on line with Left 4 Dead, just so you can warm up for Left 4 Dead 2!

Suppose we won't see you hanging around the PS forum for a while!

Just out of curiosity, assuming you're going to buy MW2, what console are you getting it for?

smooch71 wrote: »

Just out of curiosity, assuming you're going to buy MW2, what console are you getting it for?

PS3. If online doesn't fail then ill get it for 360 a few weeks later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Hey Kev, I'll be doing the opposite to you very shortly, you might see a topic like this in the PS3 forum ;)

Ok, first things first, buy a play and charge kit, they are invaluable. You can keep a rechargeable battery in one pad, when it's fully charged you can use the charge lead and no batteries to power a second pad.

Secondly, buy a metric tonne of MS points, there is a phenomenal selection on XBLA.

If you like FPS online, don't hesitate to pick up ODST, because of the 'Mythic' disk it comes with. It's easy to complain about Halo because it's so popular, but bungie's online infrastructure (bungie.net) and customisation in game are peerless.

Now point in recommending any games you could get on PS3, so... Do you have any interest in Fable. Now might also be a good time to pick up a decent version of Orange Box ;), certainly left4dead. If you like RPG's I'd recommend Lost Odyssey. If you like racers then PGR4 and Forza 3 (different beasts altogether) are must buys. Good luck with your purchase. I really do think if at all possible, gamers should have as many consoles as possible!

Advertisement