Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3.5' internal drive

Options
  • 22-10-2009 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

My hard drive is ready to pack in so I need to get another. Does anyone know where I can buy on preloaded with windows?
    Or if you know how to install the new one and load the OS to it thatwould help as well.I've seen some on Komplett.ie but am not sure how to get the OS to it
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You need to back up any important files you have on your pc now.

Then put in your new hard drive.

Put in your windows disk and the computer should boot from it , it will guide you through the install.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You need to back up any important files you have on your pc now.

Then put in your new hard drive.

Put in your windows disk and the computer should boot from it , it will guide you through the install.

And wipe out all your files unless you partition the drive with more than one partition putting your files on any partition other than the first one.
    Seeing as you are asking such a question then I think you had better get some hands on help as this can lead to the total loss of your data if it goes wrong.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Eyeballs

I already have all the important stuff moved to my external drive so wiping out the data is not a worry. I did change a harddrive before but it was years ago, I remember I had to make a bootable floppy for the job(cant even remember how I did that now) but was not sure if the pc needed to be set so it would load from the cd.
    Thanks very much for the info, I'm off to komplett tomorrow to order a new one, unless anybody knows of some where cheaper. 3.5' 250 Gb ide drive for 76 euro?

Cough splutter... €76?? Is it gold plated or summin?

Well if all the important stuff is backed up then just boot as above and follow the on screen instructions. MAke sure the machine is set to DVD/CD boot 1st in either the bios or boot menu.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Cough splutter... €76?? Is it gold plated or summin?

Well if all the important stuff is backed up then just boot as above and follow the on screen instructions. MAke sure the machine is set to DVD/CD boot 1st in either the bios or boot menu.

MC
    MC is right, that's way too expensive.

Do you mean this one?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=355402

It's €76 for a Western Digital Caviar® Black 750GB drive.

We assume you know how to enter the BIOS and set the boot order correctly, so that your CD/DVD is top of the list and Hard Drive is second? I recommend you wait until you have put in the new Hard Drive before you set this, as changing the device order before you add the new drive might see the BIOS reset/change the order so that the new drive is at the top of the list. All well and good, but that's only for when you have installed the OS.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Do you know what? I missed that completely. Sorry.

Eyeballs, do you have a spare SATA port? Even if it's an older motherboard from 2004/2005, you may still have SATA 150 (SATA I) controllers. The good news is that SATA 300 (SATA II) drives are backward compatible with SATA 150 controllers, and SATA 300 controllers would be backward compatible with SATA 150 drives.

I'd go for a SATA drive if you have the spare port available.

I'll open it up and check if there's a sata port( what does it look like)
    would be handy as I could get a larger drive for the same money.
    The 76 euro drive was including shipping costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

its is the blue ports p6ngm_sata.jpg

cheers Massy, I'll have a look in the morning

• Advertisement
Advertisement