Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halifax Online banking - down?

Options
  • 22-10-2009 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

It can't be just me.

So I was just at a lovely restaurant, and couldn't pay by debit card. Popped out and tried two ATMs, which recommended I speak to my bank. An hour earlier, I was rolling in money. Relatively. The manager kindly explained someone else had just had a problem, also with a Halifax card.

Their online banking is down. But I can't see any mention of this problem online - not on twitter, the news, or the web.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Yes, their online banking does seem to be down - first time this has happened in the 2 years i've been with them.
    However, have had ongoing issues with their debit card. Some places just don't seem setup to take them. Have this all the time. A small proportion of transactions simply wont go through. Can be very akward though, if depending on it to pay a bill that needs instant payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭broin

I have had that problem where my card doesn't work with some terminals. And I can't get cashback in one branch of Fresh.

But the ATM wasn't letting me at the money either - it was fine around 6pm, but unhelpful at 9. Can't just be me. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I've always wondered about this. If your card is declined at a restaurant, and you have no cash with you (as well as your family having no cash etc.), what do you do?

It's an odd situation. It's not like your card being declined elsewhere, as you have already 'consumed' what you are about to pay for in a restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I've always wondered about this. If your card is declined at a restaurant, and you have no cash with you (as well as your family having no cash etc.), what do you do?
    Wash the dishes! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

It's an odd situation. It's not like your card being declined elsewhere, as you have already 'consumed' what you are about to pay for in a restaurant.

I have thought about this too! I always have a second card on me from MBNA so all my plastic is not with the same bank. Just in case.
    I have been stuck to pay a call out mechanic who fixed a part on my car. the local ATM was out of service (first time I ever saw this, and typically the day I need it). He was cool ,and said he would take his chances and give me a shout some other day. I was off to the airport that afternoon and he was off to another job. paid him a week later. no hassle.
    Not sure in a restaurant what the procedure is. I suppose you would need to leave some sort of ID or collateral?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭broin

WELL, in Mao, the charming and compassionate manager just asked me to pop by tonight with the money. No address taken, no collateral (and me without my bullion), no hassle. No Marigolds.

Advertisement