Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

french translation

Options
  • 22-10-2009 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

anyone know how to translate the following into french for an essay i have to do for 2moro?

1. I should have done my homework
    2. it's ridiculous
    3. I am a dead man

cheers,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

2. Ces't ridicule
    3. Je suis un homme mort

*3 May be wrong*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

Use babelfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 yellowbutterfly

I sould have done my homework = Je devrais faire mon devoir???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

J'aurais du faire mes devoirs
    C'est ridicule
    Je vais me faire tuer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'm going to say

1. Je devrais avoir fait mes devoirs

and agree with everyone else on the other 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

Rookie mistake using Google Translator. You should never use it because it 'literally' translates what you've typed, like a dictionary. For example, if you type in 'My name is....', you get 'Mon nom est....'. Use your book/notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

eVeNtInE wrote: »

Put your name after it and you'll get a different result. ;)

But overall, my advice is to avoid it. I mean there are loads of expressions in both French and English which, if translated literally (as Google does), mean nothing in the other language. An example of this is: 'Chanter comme un pied' (in English, literally meaning 'sing like a foot') means to sing really badly.

Another common one that confuses French tourists here and in the UK, is 'Cul de Sac'. Literally it means 'bottom of the bag', but they don't use this expression in France and to them it means nothing really. Like I said, for these exercises, just use your notes and you book.

Advertisement