Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pay it forward - Pick and Post... aka - the feel good thread.

• 22-10-2009 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

Here's an idea shamelessly stolen from Flickr Central.

The idea:

Simply browse the photostream of the person above you in the thread and pick and post an image you like from their stream.

The Rules:
    • You must pick one image and you must say what you like/grabs you about it.
    • When posting you then include your own photostream address (pix.ie/flickr) for the next person to pick from. If you don't do pix.ie or flickr, your blog, devian art, photobucket, picassa, or whatever will do - just something that can be linked to.
    • You can join in as many times as you like but just don't end up hogging the thread. Give others a chance.
    • By posting, you are agreeing to someone selecting an image of yours and posting it on thread.
    • If two people pick and post at the same time then the next poster simply works of the entry before them and the first poster will have to wait again.

Note: This is not a C&C mega-thread for providing constructive criticism. No room for negativity here. It is as the title says a feel good thread.

I'd hope people would see something nice in other's photography and that the person who owns the image might learn something about how others perceive their work.

So, I need a brave soul to volunteer to begin. To get it going, the first poster should post their photostream address (pix.ie / flickr). Don't worry, once you volunteer, if no one else thinks this is a good idea I will come back in and pick one of yours leaving me last on the list for ridicule :eek:

Come on gang - give it a whirl.

How to copy (with permission) someone's work from flickr / pix.ie;

The copying of the images does need a bit more effort when you are grabbing from someone else's stream;

If in pix.ie, click 'sizes' then select whatever size.

Right click on the image and take 'copy image location' (this in firefox) or 'copy image url' (in Chrome). Explorer is a little different. Right Click the image then click properties, then highlight the url, right click it and copy (phew!).

Then in replying to the thread click the insertimage.gif button and paste in the image url which should end in a .jpg

flickr is a bit harder

From the browser I went View->Source of the HTML at the flickr page, had a mosey through the HTML until I found the correct version of the JPG. There'll be thumbnails and other elements so you might have to try more than the first one you encounter - if you copy the http url and try it in browser first it will show you before you post it on the thread. Then in replying to the thread click the insertimage.gif button and paste in the image url which should end in a .jpg.

There may be easier ways - feel free to post.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Hey!! You forgot your Pix/Flickr address. Fair is fair!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

OK, I'll give it a go...hope I'm doing it right!

3806908439_ca43cbfaea_b.jpg

Charleville Castle by oshead (picked at Random - hope you don't mind Dave)

the ceiling is fantastic, reminds me of meringue:D and the clutter of furniture on the floor contrasts very well with the order and symmetry of the ceiling

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cambogueno/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Hmm. Got away lightly there Tommy.;)

I saw this one earlier and it reminded me of Flann O'Brien's book The Dalkey Archive where De Selby meets various characters under water in a cave. Not too far away from where this photo was takem. A smashing shot that fires the imagination:

3989351233_b3c0b289f1_o.jpg

PS. I couldn't find a way of linking from cambo's Flickr as the larger sizes isn't enabled. I used the "copy image location" from the other thread.

EDIT: You forgot your photostream url! http://pix.ie/valentia/photos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Hard to pick from a very strong stream, but this is excellent for the action it captures. (I know I'm not the first person to say that).

26DF1D5A07CB445B8CD358955B457B4C-800.jpg

Sorry I don't know how to post this any bigger, but here's the page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/valentia/1456438141/in/set-72157601627603022/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

This is the idea folks. Off to a good start.

Don't forget your own pix.ie / flickr addresses people.

Otherwise the next poster won't know how to find you. Mr G will you post yours,.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

3006723486_714b80b2df.jpg

I quite like this one. I generally like older cars. Especially when they're bright orange, and shot on a Holga.

I don't really use Flickr at the moment, so feel free to count me as exempt! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Otherwise the next poster won't know how to find you. Mr G will you post yours,.

In his sig :)

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I don't really use Flickr at the moment, so feel free to count me as exempt! :)

Then your blog or any other source, so long as someone can link to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Fajitas! wrote: »
    In his sig :)

Thanks, knew I'd forgotton something.

AnCatDubh, how did you post the larger size?

Thanks, knew I'd forgotton something.

AnCatDubh, how did you post the larger size?

I knew it was on pix.ie so I robbed the url from there and overwrote the flickr one in your post.

• Advertisement

As Al is exempt for the moment (we'll get a quoteable url out of you yet!), I'll step in and revert to Danny as I had typed as Mr. G was posting and a shame to see it going to waste ;)

This one;

D796255F67F3447DBFB3493EDC76FC32-500.jpg

Valentia's photostream is difficult to select just one as there is so much good photography in there.

I remember seeing this photograph when Danny posted it to pix.ie quite a while ago. Entitled Johnny, I love the detail in the image, and the black and white treatment - not too contrasty but sensitive to the subject. The crop is different but for me it works nicely for the subject and serves to draw the eye towards the features of the face. More than all of this I love the character that their is to this image. I've no idea who Johnny is but he's obviously full of life and his spirit I feel is captured nicely here.

Well done Danny.

Ok, I'm up methinks!

My pix.ie stream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

6E6FC635803D4CC59B0D7FEFABEA6E1F-800.jpg

AnCatDubh,
    Sorry I can't seem to figure how to paste in your pic. Pix.ie has made it too easy so I've gotten lazy!

Anyway, I'm not quite sure why I like this. Something about the way the light draws you in, and also it looks like the water is settling like a good pint!

I'm at: http://pix.ie/desegan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

FB446304FF2A4761B600E5F4BC68DC24.jpg

Really like the humour of this shot. Very well done & not cliche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

This one brought a smile, the sheer joie de vivre comes through so well.

4BEB7B95C49943869E9D1A4ACE8C2698-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

As did this one !

20090708232412_splashdown.jpg

www.pix.ie/chorcai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

37FC1511D4B344809548614B4B2CF6F0-500.jpg

This one for me, its a big leap from your usual style by the looks of things, and i like it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

3CF270F083B746ACB23C6484D3EA8BFC.jpg
    This is smart as hell. Brilliant backgroung, the odd positions of the traffic cones and the intonation on the chaps left foot adding in a nice little dynamic to the overall scene. High calibre street shot.

EDIT: I'll drop my link as Eirebear was here first but will leave my comment up as sure it's no harm to have 2 nice comments about your pics. But it's Eirebear's photo that's to be linked next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I'd love to play but humberklog's pictures can't be viewed and Eirebear's can't be linked to

???

Hugh_C wrote: »
    I'd love to play but humberklog's pictures can't be viewed and Eirebear's can't be linked to

???
    I'll stick my link back in then.

500x100-biggerhugerlabs-default-top-000000-FFFFFF.jpg

Hugh_C wrote: »

???

lol, i cant remember how to turn "all sizes" back on....

EDIT: Should work now

• Advertisement

Eirebear wrote: »
    lol, i cant remember how to turn "all sizes" back on....
    Ah sure it'll come back around, leave mine up.

I'm very hasppy to have been able to put one of those widgets up. I was often admiring them and thought that they were only for VIP's or something like that...subscribers even.

humberklog wrote: »
    Ah sure it'll come back around, leave mine up.

I'm very hasppy to have been able to put one of those widgets up. I was often admiring them and thought that they were only for VIP's or something like that...subscribers even.

Yep, im more than happy for yours to be linked next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

Nice shot here by Eirebear

4022229117_2391303116_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Nice idea for a thread, kind of a random photo thread as picked by members.

kgiller, can't seem to link from your flickr, but if I could i'd show this one...great shot and I like the processing

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kgiller/3315217528/sizes/l/

3315217528_f5ffbf3caa_b.jpg

ike's flickr stream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Great idea for a thread.

Trouble linking to flickr
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/88459911@N00/2840854478/in/set-72157615264699620/

2840854478_1de074c99d.jpg

Love the clarity of the insect, and the starkness of the contrasty b&w. Great balance in the composition of the photo, the subject and flower are really well placed. Would happily sit on any wall I think.

My pix:
    http://pix.ie/hughwphamill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Love this shot as it appears the guy is floating :)

893B0AA60E44400997263D598D26AC54-800.jpg

Sorted linking.

gandalf's flickr photostream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Always nice to have an excuse to go through your photostream mate!

I have gone with the below shot as it just hammers home to me why i love your work so much, you have a strange knack of bringing life to the lifeless.

3802039652_4b40393904.jpg

I didn't have to travel too far into Dragon's flickr stream to find this creation.

3812006352_469025bd09.jpg
    By: Dragan

Here's an image which I hadn't come across before which goes way beyond point and shoot - this IS art and a wonderful quirky creation. Love it. The attention to detail in the shot is fantastic. I think its one that everyone will take a different meaning from.

Great work Dragan.

It ok to respond more than once, just make sure you put your photostream up for the next player.

My Pix.ie Stream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

AA4CB6208C7648CC802A57A4F861CD6B-800.jpg

Tis the season to be wondering who nicked my copy of The Night Before Christmas.

Okay.

flickr

pixie

have fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

http://pix.ie/ancatdubh/955163/size/800

61E918B8E10F4CBAB65F4A6DD9786B53.jpg

I love her expression, the joy she feels. And the lighting is brilliant.

My Flickr

Maybe someone could explain how to insert the picture? I tried with the [IMG]tags but it didn't show up...:o Edit...and now I tried for so long that Calina was first...ah well[/img]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

http://www.flickr.com/photos/windsandbreezes/3913586990/in/photostream/

3913586990_506fc955fc.jpg

sorry Calina when I post your image it doesnt how so here is a link

I think outside the comfort zone really suits Calina, something you should do more often...

www.flickr.com/rachelfoxphotography

Yay! I got two in a row - guess it happens. No matter, always work from the last on the list to keep it going.

The copying of the images does need a bit more effort when you are grabbing from someone else's stream;

If in pix.ie, click 'sizes' then select whatever size.

Right click on the image and take 'copy image location' (this in firefox) or 'copy image url' (in Chrome). Explorer is a little different. Right Click the image then click properties, then highlight the url, right click it and copy (phew!).

Then in replying to the thread click the insertimage.gif button and paste in the image url which should end in a .jpg

flickr is a bit harder

From the browser I went View->Source of the HTML at the flickr page, had a mosey through the HTML until I found the correct version of the JPG. There'll be thumbnails and other elements so you might have to try more than the first one you encounter - if you copy the http url and try it in browser first it will show you before you post it on the thread. Then in replying to the thread click the insertimage.gif button and paste in the image url which should end in a .jpg.

There may be easier ways - feel free to post.

I'll copy this back to the opening post if anyone needs it for reference.

The flickr version not workign here I'm afraid, extension is .gif and nothing comes up in the browser, the url it gives is http://l.yimg.com/g/images/spaceball.gif

Thread could do with a dibs system too as there's a bit of double posting while the person is off selecting a pic. Come back and there's someone already parked in the space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

3094539499_091aab35e4.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rachelfoxphotography/3094539499/in/set-72157612062958225/

That photo there is my favourite of smelltheglove's

A lot different than most of her photos but I like the soft out of focus across the whole image, nice and floaty.

I'll try fix the link :(

http://pix.ie/duffarama

• Advertisement

The flickr version not workign here I'm afraid, extension is .gif and nothing comes up in the browser, the url it gives is http://l.yimg.com/g/images/spaceball.gif

Ignore spaceball.gif (it's flickrs inbuilt 'don't copy me' trap).

I've updated your post - I had to get the url from the html.

Ok Rachael's up. I've been up already this lunchtime so i'll leave it to the next poster.

Rachael's Photo Stream: www.flickr.com/rachelfoxphotography

lol you posted alondside duffarama, so he is actually up next:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

lol you posted alondside duffarama, so he is actually up next:D

I managed to show the picture too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

DA17289C537449C88544F8EEB182F571.jpg

Love the colour of the sky in contrast with the strong detail on the buildings. The pyramid catches the viewers attention but there is lots more to see in this image.

I also love how using the piece of the building in the foreground along with the size of the people creates a huge perception of the height and depth

Well done

http://pix.ie/duffarama/1110131/in/album/348557

www.flickr.com/photos/swingking

Your photo url swingking?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I have it on the picture; just click the picture to get the original location. Is that okay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

humberklog wrote: »
    Thread could do with a dibs system too as there's a bit of double posting while the person is off selecting a pic. Come back and there's someone already parked in the space.

what say the person who wants to post next posts with something like 'picture pending' or something *. Then they can go off and take their time selecting the appropriate piccie. No-one else is allowed post until they're done.

* maybe SHOTGUN :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ok going again.

3913009466_f32719b60d.jpg

I'm just a sucker for good bokeh :)

Whoops heres my link http://www.flickr.com/photos/gandalfirl/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Love this image from your photostream, great colours and perspective

3480716971_8949d57962.jpg

Me on Flickr

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

364002273_b1e598d834.jpg

I'm getting into baby photography, friend just as a wee one, dying to get snapping... also i love eyes... really nice shot, nice bw too

http://www.flickr.com/photos/melekalikimaka/

me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

3245030356_8c35c59a7a.jpg

Like this one by Mel, normally something framed so tight to the edge makes me feel like having a nosebleed but not this one. I love the fact that she's propping the frame open like a brace and that she's pretty much symmetrical. Also, square (or nearly square) appeals to my medium format eye :)

flickr

(but I'm afraid you'll have to do ACT's trick to get at the image)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Hugh_C, you have some utterly amazing images :eek::eek::eek:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hughchal/3736386302/

3736386302_d07bc12a69.jpg

This one stood out for me, really cool, it reminded me of a film cover which I can't recall, also some fashion shot photo i seen as well. Kudos to you !

EDIT:fixed in line posting of original image

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

29AE543C11CB4A66A1A90CFE4FD74900-500.jpg

(Photo by Chorcai)

I think butterflies are very difficult to get. And this one is very sharp. And I like the combination of the colours, as if the butterfly wanted to hide on the blackberry.

my flickr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I love this one from xia
    3879727594_eee5c95e58.jpg

The curve of the stone edge really draw my eye into the photo. And the B&W processing really suits the image IMO

Edit (thought it was in my sig)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/longshanks100/

Longshanks - don't forget to post your flickr / pix.ie url, so the next person can browse your photostream. Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement