Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pay it forward - Pick and Post... aka - the feel good thread.

1234568»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Just had a look through waldo's flickr and WOW! Some really beautiful photos and difficult to choose a favourite.

I chose this one of the Mullinhassig Falls for a number of reasons.
    First I'm a sucker nice colourful Irish landscapes. Second I love slow milky water shots and thirdly the colours are just so vibrant and the water seems to flow right out of the image. Really lovely shot.

4011920135_a1a128afeb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I really dig this P&B. Red always draws my eye, and its all over this one!
    Quite a grimy feel to it, almost creepy actually.

79405C4D757A431ABF0847D1DBB9A61E-500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

4022988864_f397acf081.jpg
    Love all the colours and shades in this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Two people did leftyflip's!!! :D

AnCatDubh's was better...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

This one of leftyflip's I like. I like macro as it never fails to intrigue in its isolation of subject matter, and the other reason that I like it is I guess that anyone who played guitar at one stage and hasn't picked up the axe for a few years might be tempted to get back to it :) Ah, if only time allowed.

1C98493598A04074A94AFAB328CB6F99-500.jpg

There's the makings of an interesting project 365 in the making at leftyflip's pix.ie a/c. It will be interesting to see how it develops along with the skills and subject matter which will evolve over the 365 days. Wasn't it cartier bresson who said [in the days of film] that the first 10,000 pictures were the hardest. Keep at it!

Ok, so i'm up - pix.ie here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

This one caught my eye as I scanned your pix.ie, I like the color, the different shadows, the reflection, the pillars.....

89A288A8D4A1432E9A97DA31BA7E5B8E-800.jpg

Me: http://pix.ie/morrisseeee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

http://pix.ie/morrisseeee/813925/size/500

I love this... b&W is like my catnip, and the light coming through is just gorgeous.

Top stuff.

450DF3257B7149569ECC1DF7D8DDCB20-500.jpg

*edit* (sorry, i can't seem to get the pic to show up in the thread itself... not too sure why!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

990FE59FD6674867AFDB722C00E70B17.jpg

Very nice PP, nice lines of those funky seats !

I was going to go with one of your Beach photo's until I came across this:

39E9FC021FFA4BF591B49272E988CB49-800.jpg

Not only does it have the "cute" factor that makes me smile, but its four lovely photo's that really tell a little story. I like that you gave each one a different treatment and that none are from the same angle.

(Just don't let my wife see it, she'll what me to do one too! :D )

My Pix:
    http://pix.ie/kefln

* D*mn...I really am going to have to try this now! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

K_user wrote: »

Lots of lovely animal photos in your portfolio :)

I've to go with this one though .. as I'm loving the angle

E9E3EC68BD924EA69ECA3889FFBE44F2-800.jpg

http://pix.ie/forbairt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

25C03CBB821440E7ABFA0DC4109835BB-800.jpg

i like this pic as i know how hard it is to get animals to stay still for long enough for you to get a good image. but we all know that cat is thinkin of ways to scratch your hand while holding that silly black box you keep stickin in its face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

toughy for me as I don't generally like car photos, and they're in the majority here. I know this is a recent shot (I went through them all - honest!) but I love this one C1F9F0FF59384925A2FEEA44D0ED46CC-800.jpg

The colours and temp are gorgeous. And DoF is spot on :) Nice one..

Me http://pix.ie/sineadw. Haven't done this in ages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

sineadw wrote: »
    toughy for me as I don't generally like car photos...

That is not a photo but lomography :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

ThOnda wrote: »
    That is not a photo but lomography :p
    #

Stop complaining you :P

What can one say about this! :D

70AB9C06D6454E45A4FDD1996A66083F-800.jpg?r=2

What a nice smiley happy portrait. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

DC11D56152A74B4F87671DC60E3285D9-800.jpg

Very nice moody shot. Simple but effective.

pullandbang, just you wait! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

C2948FF594D84166A3392ECBB187E68E-500.jpg

Thanks Vlastik,

I never thought of Pix as I don't have an account there but do have you as a contact on Flickr.

I love the look Vlastik has caught, it's such a professional looking photo. Of course some credit has to be given to the lady who is quite stunning but also to Vlastik for a job well done.

How do you actually find the link to the image?

Just use pix.ie :D

By the way, the model is literally eager to shoot and shoot and shoot. She would appreciate any opportunity.

Liam's flickr stream is a super collection of people places and things. I think previously I picked a portrait from his photo stream so this time a 'thingy' caught my eye;

4292045356_92cf623cf6_b.jpg

Love the muted processing on this and the detail/sharpness in the image - the FA50 I presume???

a nice shot out of many nice shots.

my pix.ie if anyone wants a gander.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

It wasn't hard for me to pick my favorite photo from AnCatDubh. I love this photo, though I love lots of the black and whites too. To me, this pic is sheer modern quality. Very smart indeed! Nice one Tommy :)
    DD478984DA864F4E81B82207BC50D636-500.jpg

Here is my pix.ie... www.pix.ie/katiemaloe

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    ... Love the muted processing on this and the detail/sharpness in the image - the FA50 I presume???

Many thanks Tommy. It was indeed the auld reliable 50mm, the lens that virtually never comes off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I am quite into stairs & this is a really good shot. Lovely.

7CA2F01FA25A42D597F405A862971DE4-800.jpg

Is that in TP Smiths?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

forbairt wrote: »
    Lots of lovely animal photos in your portfolio :)

I've to go with this one though .. as I'm loving the angle

E9E3EC68BD924EA69ECA3889FFBE44F2-800.jpg

http://pix.ie/forbairt

I love this shot, how did you get the plants plus tower in focus ,
    very narrow aperture ??
    how far was the lens from the plants (roughly) ?

what mm was it ?

the_monkey wrote: »
    I love this shot, how did you get the plants plus tower in focus ,
    very narrow aperture ??
    how far was the lens from the plants (roughly) ?

what mm was it ?
    Thanks very much.

My settings where fairly basic, ISO 200, 18mm, at F22 with a speed of 1/114s.

It was a very bright day, no wind, sunshine and blue skies, which helped with the shutter speed.

The flowers were growing on a bush, just under a tree. The ones in the photo are the highest on the plant, no more than a couple of feet away. I had to lie on the ground, point the camera right up and brace my arms as tight as I could - not comfortable, as I was lying under a bush! I took a few JPG testers and then switched to RAW.

I got a few looks when I climbed out, not to mention my wife was rolling her eyes, :D , but she’s used to me.

Over all I’m really happy with it, it could be sharper and would have been if I had my tripod, but that’s only a small point. I have a B&W version that I want to hang on my wall - eventually!

Contemplation

078E7E05EC3B4A1E83952BFDB57547B0.jpg

Another great photo and a very fitting title. Do you know him ? He sure looks like he could tell a story or two !

Chorcai wrote: »
    Do you know him ? He sure looks like he could tell a story or two !

He was a guest at a wedding I was invited to. We were all in the bar waiting while the reception was being set up. I saw him at the other side of the room & this was shot on my old D70S at 300mm at ISO 1600. He was lost in thought and in a moment of reflection. He was in his Mid 80's at the time.

I have since given a copy of this photo to his family & they love it. It's a grab shot that has done well for me & was in my LIPF Panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

CabanSail wrote: »
    I am quite into stairs & this is a really good shot. Lovely.Is that in TP Smiths?

Thanks Cabansail. It was taken in the Collins Barracks museum. Its a gorgeous building with lots of light. Photos aren't allowed in the museum bit but this was in one of the many corridors. :)

I think Chorcai is up next;

To me photographs are best when they tell the story - leave the mind wondering or better still filling in the blanks - Teasing the imagination as it were.

Time is written all over this image and it contains mystery and intrigue. I remember seeing this when first posted and loved it (think I already told you that);

3394CE6022EA429DBC9BB0C2A7EABB77-800.jpg

I saw it on the random thread and knew it was Chris's grandmother but didn't pick up on a larger part of the actual story which I found on pix.ie. In Chris's own words;
    My gandmother is 90 yrs old, with alzheimer's, parkinson's and breast cancer. Yet she always has a smile on her face.

Now that is SOME story. Lesson to life - keep on smiling.

Fantastic Chris - an image which in many years to come you will absolutely treasure. Beautiful at so many different levels.

haven't put much into pix.ie in a while but here is mine if anyone wants a crack at this thread. Or some stuff (just getting started) on my photo blog - photovi.be

I'm too lazy to scroll back through this thread to see if this image has already been mentioned. Even if it has, it deserves another airing. It has everything going for it - atmosphere, mood, simplicity and grace. A perfect capture for black and white and the timing was spot on. The reflection and even the angle of the bird is just perfect. Well done ACD and well deserved of it's TOTD on Pix.ie

DA3E1B9279414A98B362FC01DDE0678D-500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

I know its on the first page as you come into your photo stream but I did have a good look around. Still my fav of what I did see.

Its a lovely image. B&W suites it perfect. I am such a fan of B&W and this is a great example. Dark, dreary and spooky in a way but yet great detail and well lit. Well done :)

19A5FFD768374C21B2BA66025BFFC92D.jpg

P.S. Love the idea of this thread btw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

4277908586_8ab407cace.jpg

I LOVE this one, although I was tempted by a few of the band shoot... this is just a great capture at exactly the right moment!!!

edit: won't let me put in the photo, I'm SO bad at linking from flickr... any mod want to help me out? The URL is http://www.flickr.com/photos/dararobinson/4277908586/
    :o:o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

Went for this one. Love the textures and the dof!

3A545F905C734166A7F7BECAEEAE408E-800.jpg

Here's mine: be gentle :ohttp://pix.ie/theboat

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

BFB7A3305F1E4E9FB0494A7F935BDF5C-500.jpg

Smashing photo. Simple, uncomplicated subject matter that lets the composition do all the work. Deadly. And very flipping clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

http://pix.ie/craanc/1509640/in/album/369178

This is one of many great pics on your pix.ie acc.Love the idea and B&W processing. Sorry cant link image:confused: can a mod link it.

54D9B516B8D240D983DF00112E1BFAAE-800.jpg

Jim has loads of great photos on his stream, I had a hard time choosing which photo was my favourite. In the end it's a subject that's been on here quite a bit and it is probably something of an obvious choice but I really like his capture of it. The photo doesn't look like it is in Ireland, more like a farming area in rural America:

2660B12616D14E5AB724BF082A1A206C-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I can't see any link to your images kintaro, so I'll do one of Jim's too

12419EEB5A6F4B33BC501A2075CF39DC.jpg

This has a very solemn feel, beautiful .

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

stabo wrote: »
    http://pix.ie/craanc/1509640/in/album/369178

This is one of many great pics on your pix.ie acc.Love the idea and B&W processing. Sorry cant link image:confused: can a mod link it.

:eek:B+W processing!!! Ya'wha!? Duotone surely.

humberklog wrote: »

I thought my eyes were gone wonky, do I see a little red in there?

• Advertisement

I can't see any link to your images kintaro, so I'll do one of Jim's too .

Whoops stupid me, I forgot I got rid of my sig. Link to Flickr photostream if anyone is so inclined.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liamandagnieszka

Oh ok, I like this one then:

l

because it has a timeless feel to it, could be any era apart from the modern car

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    I think Chorcai is up next;

To me photographs are best when they tell the story - leave the mind wondering or better still filling in the blanks - Teasing the imagination as it were.

Time is written all over this image and it contains mystery and intrigue. I remember seeing this when first posted and loved it (think I already told you that);

I saw it on the random thread and knew it was Chris's grandmother but didn't pick up on a larger part of the actual story which I found on pix.ie. In Chris's own words;

Now that is SOME story. Lesson to life - keep on smiling.

Fantastic Chris - an image which in many years to come you will absolutely treasure. Beautiful at so many different levels.

haven't put much into pix.ie in a while but here is mine if anyone wants a crack at this thread. Or some stuff (just getting started) on my photo blog - photovi.be

WOW thanks, feeling really **** over the last few days with flu + bad news. Put a big smile on my face !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Oh ok, I like this one then:

l

because it has a timeless feel to it, could be any era apart from the modern car

I think you meant to include this pic

4150899759_5ec55b699e_b_d.jpg

Nice choice btw :)

yeah, don't know what I did wrong there, that is a cool image.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

;) I dont really know much about film.
    humberklog wrote: »

• Advertisement
Advertisement