Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help about a hedge and fast.

Options
  • 22-10-2009 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I am looking for advice from anyone who has any idea about the deed of choosing a hedge and planting the thing. I want to plant something in laurel that can provide privacy, evergreen and besides a clip now and again, doesnt' need alot of after care. I live in a wuthering heights scenario so wind and rain are belting me from all sides. I like the look of laurel (can't have grisellini of levandii) especially the portugese laurel but have been told is not a great wind barrier. Need some protection around the house. The last 2 nights i thought the kitchen was going to end up in my bedroom. Would appreciate any ideas!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi..
    Have a look at this website under the hedging section...
    They are a great bunch to deal with, don't be afraid to ring them and ask for advice...

I've bought lots of stuff from them with great results..

http://www.futureforests.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I am not an expert, but don't be tempted to plant Escallaonia. They all tell you it is evergreen, but most varieties are not.

I am in the process of tearing out my (quite extensive) hedge and replanting with Portuguese Laurel. Heavy going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I was going to buy Laurel but the nursery was pushing Portuguese Laurel. I might be cynical but I always get a bit curious when a supplier tries to talk me into buying something other than what I initially wanted.

I already have laurel hedging on one side of my garden and I like the look of it but is the Portugeuse laurel hardier or have some other advantage over "ordinary" laurel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Worker

Thanks bbam! One hell of a site there. Very impressed. Thinking of doing a day trip some weekend down there. At least I will see what is still evergreen for the winter! Appear to be reasonable comparing to some quotes I have got on Laurel.

I was told by one nursery that Portugese laurel comes from a hot country (obviously) therefore needs heat to grow which this country is fairly short of!! Also that it doesn't have the hardiness of other evergreen laurels and can get blown around ( not a great windbreaker). I think i am going to have to check out a few nurseries and see what the experts have to say!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Worker wrote: »
    Thanks bbam! One hell of a site there. Very impressed. Thinking of doing a day trip some weekend down there. At least I will see what is still evergreen for the winter! Appear to be reasonable comparing to some quotes I have got on Laurel.

I was told by one nursery that Portugese laurel comes from a hot country (obviously) therefore needs heat to grow which this country is fairly short of!! Also that it doesn't have the hardiness of other evergreen laurels and can get blown around ( not a great windbreaker). I think i am going to have to check out a few nurseries and see what the experts have to say!!

Prunus Lusitanica (Portugese Laurel)is an excellent and very popular hedging choice. Yes it is mainly imported but there are also home grown crops (albeit much smaller sizes available). Imported stock is preferred because it is (a) mature and (b) cost effective. We regularly plant 150-180cm stock, which is usually grown in Italy (Heat = faster growth). Next week we'll be planting 90 lusitanicas (150cm)as a mature hedge as part of a landscaping project. Lusitanica is probably not as hardy as the larger leaf Laurel, but that said it is very resilient, hardy and much more ornamental and easier to maintain.

A choice plant indeed. Now is a good time to buy (and plant) any hedging as bare root /rootballed stock will become available from next week onwards.

Other choices include Taxus, Photinia, Dodonea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Worker wrote: »

Prunus Lusitanica (Portugese Laurel)is an excellent and very popular hedging choice. Yes it is mainly imported but there are also home grown crops (albeit much smaller sizes available). Imported stock is preferred because it is (a) mature and (b) cost effective. We regularly plant 150-180cm stock, which is usually grown in Italy (Heat = faster growth). Next week we'll be planting 90 lusitanicas (150cm)as a mature hedge as part of a landscaping project. Lusitanica is probably not as hardy as the larger leaf Laurel, but that said it is very resilient, hardy and much more ornamental and easier to maintain.

A choice plant indeed. Now is a good time to buy (and plant) any hedging as bare root /rootballed stock will become available from next week onwards.

Other choices also woth considering include Taxus, Photinia, Viburnum and Dodonea.

Advertisement