Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xserve?

• 22-10-2009 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Does anybody use this and what is it and is it easy to use??

Please help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

http://www.apple.com/xserve/specs.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xserve

I haven't much experience working on them. Only a few board changes etc. Hope the links help.

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Raspberryhardon

funk-you wrote: »
    http://www.apple.com/xserve/specs.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xserve

I haven't much experience working on them. Only a few board changes etc. Hope the links help.

-Funk

Thanks for the reply funk but ive read that before im just wondering does anybody use it on a daily basis?????????

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

I do yeah...! Its about 5 or 6 years old and is still running fine. Only problem is that its seriously loud..! I would have a low to medium knowledge of OS X Server software and find it quite easy to use. It has been running pretty much continuously for that period in a small architects office handling Mail, FTP, WEB, ICAL, FileSharing and a few other services. It has only got 10.4 server and could probably do with an upgrade to enable newer features but if it aint broke don't fix it I suppose...! To be honest its probably too much for the size of office we are (maximum 13 staff). I have since installed MacPro's with Mac OS X Server in a few offices and they run just as well...!

Rats

ratsam wrote: »
    I do yeah...! Its about 5 or 6 years old and is still running fine. Only problem is that its seriously loud..! I would have a low to medium knowledge of OS X Server software and find it quite easy to use. It has been running pretty much continuously for that period in a small architects office handling Mail, FTP, WEB, ICAL, FileSharing and a few other services. It has only got 10.4 server and could probably do with an upgrade to enable newer features but if it aint broke don't fix it I suppose...! To be honest its probably too much for the size of office we are (maximum 13 staff). I have since installed MacPro's with Mac OS X Server in a few offices and they run just as well...!

Rats

Ahh thats great dude.

Why I asked was im applying for a job and it asks have I any experiance in xserve in which i said no as ive no idea what the hell it is. I havent used macs in years is it macs equivalent to vista???

Can you explan what it is and what it does in as simple as possible terms

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

Ahh thats great dude.

Why I asked was im applying for a job and it asks have I any experiance in xserve in which i said no as ive no idea what the hell it is. I havent used macs in years is it macs equivalent to vista???

Can you explan what it is and what it does in as simple as possible terms

The XServe itself is basically a dedicated server machine that comes preinstalled with Mac OSX Server Software. Its designed to fit into a server rack and is 1U (one rack bay) high. The machine itself is basically just an Apple computer that is built to last a bit longer than others and is largely expandable and upgradable (and noisy). The machine itself is not an equivalent to Vista (Server version) but the software (Mac OSX Server) may be. I am the opposite to yourself when it comes to using Windows. I haven't used a windows machine in 15 years..! The software is intuitive if you have a basic knowledge of the service you are trying to enable or configure. We are using version 10.4 of the software which is 2 versions behind the current version. By all accounts the newer versions are supposed to be easier to use too.

Thats about as much as I can tell you...! Good luck with the job application..!

Rats

• Advertisement

ratsam wrote: »
    The XServe itself is basically a dedicated server machine that comes preinstalled with Mac OSX Server Software. Its designed to fit into a server rack and is 1U (one rack bay) high. The machine itself is basically just an Apple computer that is built to last a bit longer than others and is largely expandable and upgradable (and noisy). The machine itself is not an equivalent to Vista (Server version) but the software (Mac OSX Server) may be. I am the opposite to yourself when it comes to using Windows. I haven't used a windows machine in 15 years..! The software is intuitive if you have a basic knowledge of the service you are trying to enable or configure. We are using version 10.4 of the software which is 2 versions behind the current version. By all accounts the newer versions are supposed to be easier to use too.

Thats about as much as I can tell you...! Good luck with the job application..!

Rats

Thankyou Rats you have been a great help!

Advertisement