Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants in Waterford City

• 22-10-2009 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭

Will be in Waterford next week ......any good recommendations for eating in the city? Especially Italian, French or Indian. Afraid early-bird is out as it's 10pm when we finish.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭well butty

Emilianos Itialian Restaurant, High Street.

Fantastic quality at a reasonable price!

I have tried all the others and they don't compare!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

well butty wrote: »
    Emilianos Itialian Restaurant, High Street.

Fantastic quality at a reasonable price!

I have tried all the others and they don't compare!!

+1,super Italian restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Spread wrote: »
    Will be in Waterford next week ......any good recommendations for eating in the city? Especially Italian, French or Indian. Afraid early-bird is out as it's 10pm when we finish.

Italian: La palma or Emilianos

Indian: Cafe Goa is excellent!

French: La Boheme? havent been there in a while though

I will throw in Sabaii also as I have always found it to be excellent, its Thai/Vietnameese

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

If you fancy a Chinese I recommend Wongsons (probably spelt wrong)

Its beside Emilianos and they do a fantastic special sauce.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Iv found Emilianos a bit hit and miss tbh. Have been there a few times now and found the most recent visit poorer. Management had no interest in hearing our comments.

If you want to splash out a little - the Castle has some excellent food. The Esquire in Tramore, if you wanted to move away from the city, also serves excellent food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Italian - La Taverna on High St FTW...

French - L'Atmosphère on Henrietta St - both this and La Taverna are more like restaurants in their own country than Italian or French restaurants in Ireland, if you know what I mean.

French - La Bohème - pricey, but probably the best restaurant I've ever eaten in.

Indian - there's something lovely about Café Goa (on the Quay near the bus station) - the food is excellent, that goes without saying, but the place has a buzz about it that sets it apart from the crowd.

Indian - I've heard Eastenders (also on the Quay, but closer to Rice Bridge) is excellent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Being stuck for time finished up eating in The Tower Hotel. Pretty old fashioned upstairs ......... needs redoing ........ but the Dinner Special at €50 (for two) including a palatable bottle of wine did the trick. Thanks everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭deisedol

La Palma on the Mall is the best Italian in the city- it is down from the tower hotel- next traffic lights towards cork rd.
    They serve late as well so 10pm should be ok.

Also Espresso is italian and very good- it is more casual than la palma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 daithibaru

fricatus wrote: »
    Italian - La Taverna on High St FTW...

French - L'Atmosphère on Henrietta St - both this and La Taverna are more like restaurants in their own country than Italian or French restaurants in Ireland, if you know what I mean.

Two unreal restaurants. La Taverma's meatballs with tomatoe sauce is unreal. Nicest thing I've ever eaten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Italian - La Fontana on the Quay:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

michellie wrote: »
    Italian - La Fontana on the Quay:rolleyes:

That place is gross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

sorrywhat wrote: »
    That place is gross.
    Sorry, what?

I've been there a few times and really enjoyed the meals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I agree, I've been to La Fontana many times and really enjoyed it. Coming on to a public forum and just saying that a restaurant is gross, without any kind of substantiation is poor form.

There should be a rule on boards about slagging off businesses with no reasons whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

That place is gross.

I totally agree , The only thing Italian about that place is they use the italian flag in their signage .

From my own personal experience the food is rubbish,very salty,and far from been italian, family members and friends have all had similar experiences and comments to make about the place, I as of yet have to hear a good review.

In my own experience they were totally oblivious to the fact that tuna could be cooked to any other degree of doneness other than well done, my "sautéd" potatoes were frozen steakhouse fries , when I asked the manager about this he said thats how it was done in Italy (Strange how no other Italian in the town follows this method), and the salt in the food it was like the chef put poured the dead sea onto my plate.

To be honest I would never go back , and id say one of the only reason the place gets any trade is due to the fact tourists passing by on their way to Reginalds tower are lured in as they see it as an easy and hassle free pitstop !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

daithibaru wrote: »
    Two unreal restaurants. La Taverma's meatballs with tomatoe sauce is unreal. Nicest thing I've ever eaten

I was in La Taverna twice over the last fortnight. The pizza in there is just first class. The lads that own it go out of their way to have a chat and know me now by first name and will chat away. Its service as I wish we could have anywhere else.

I wish they were busier though. They deserve to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Ill never go back there either, was there last year. The girl i was eating with got a pizza and found a long hair in it, as in mixed in with the food, i called the waiter who called the chef who proceeded to show me his head and told me it was not his hair because he had none!!! We told him we didnt actually care who's hair it was, THERE IS A FU**IN HAIR IN IT. take it back. which he did and made another one. When we were leaving they have three meals on the bill, a pasta dish(i had but was not great really) and TWO pizzas, fecking cheek of them. I argued with him over it but he would not take anything off the bill!
    think i gave him 20quid and made sure the other people there heard me saying that they were a disgrace for trying to charge us, hairs in our food, we will never be back, bla bla bla, the feckin waiter said "thats fine we dont want you back"! :mad::mad::mad:

Talking about the place on the quay btw. fontana

La Terverna is one of the best places iv eaten. top class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I'm gonna start making an effort to get into La Taverna more actually. The lads who own it are that genuine that I'd hate to see the recession take a bite out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭foxylad

Trotter wrote: »
    I'm gonna start making an effort to get into La Taverna more actually. The lads who own it are that genuine that I'd hate to see the recession take a bite out of them.

me too -- best Pizza in town
    and great authentic dishes
    and friendly service!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

One thing I noticed about the OP is that he won't be able to go for a meal until after 10pm? That definitely narrows things down a bit and off the top of my head only Revolution are a place that you could walk in after 10pm and expect to get food (open to correction on this). Not a restaurant by any means but has to be said that the food is quite nice there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vixenbees

Is this place new or how long is it there? Is it the place beside the old Flash's? After your positive comments, I'm curious to go in for a pizza now! Ginos is after gettin kinda old. Heading down to Waterford this weekend so will def try head in. Is it open Sundays do you know?

I have to say I agreee with the negative comments about La Fontana on the quay.. I've only been once and it was a pretty bad experience! Their early bird menu only had a choice of 4 mains which is pretty disappointing, maybe its to encourage people to order from the a la carte or specials menu (what we ended up doing). The service was really crap, little things like bringing out a jug of water with no glasses...asking if we want black pepper, we said yes, the waitor disappeared and forgot about it altogether...and also I know this is trivial but they serve cans of coke to the table. Maybe its just a personal choice but I hate when nice restaurants do that. In cafes its fine but not when you're out for a nice dinner. The table was cluttered with empty cans after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I was in La Taverna twice over the last fortnight. The pizza in there is just first class. The lads that own it go out of their way to have a chat and know me now by first name and will chat away. Its service as I wish we could have anywhere else.

I wish they were busier though. They deserve to be.

They're not that busy during the week, but I've found that they get a good crowd in there at the weekends.

Agreed that the lads in there are sound and always happy to come down and chat, especially about the cooking in the place. Definitely a gem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

I agree, I've been to La Fontana many times and really enjoyed it. Coming on to a public forum and just saying that a restaurant is gross, without any kind of substantiation is poor form.

There should be a rule on boards about slagging off businesses with no reasons whatsoever.

The food is very salty
    The food is over-priced for the quality you get
    The service the time I was in there was quite poor
    The side dish on a few items on the menu was chips

On a side note my red wine was nice but again over priced.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note:
    General discussion is fine but if your going to start reviewing/commenting on food/service/etc then it would be great if you could put it in here:-

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055234317

Thanks!

If that place goes, there's no nice place left in waterford to eat, that's reasonably priced... although reasonably priced would be an insult to them since it's 5euro for half a pizza that would fill you for ages and is the best thing you'll ever eat.

If your in there ask them for the pasta that was the popes favourite dish (they'll go on about the story behind it too lol). Can't remember the name, but it's unreal

The food is very salty
    The food is over-priced for the quality you get
    The service the time I was in there was quite poor
    The side dish on a few items on the menu was chips

On a side note my red wine was nice but again over priced.

I just remembered the only time I went to La Fontana, there was flies buzzing around the inside window. Lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vixenbees

anyone know if la taverna is open today??

open at 12 each day till 3, then again at 6 till 9 or something.

Advertisement