Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank want to do a criminal record search on me..standard procedure

Options
  • 23-10-2009 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

When i was 19 i was prosecuted - given probabtion act for being involved in petty crime really. However, my question is this, i am now going to work for a bank???? i believe that they will ask for a criminal check? its an american company bank.
    Will this be seen as a "Red alert" ? will they know? and do they get the details of the crime ? or how is it dealt with generally?
    I am also applying for a job in [snipped] which i am sure i will be asked there too. I am now 35 and have worked in the finance industry for 13 years, i havent as much as a traffic convition!
    Is my stupid young past going to catch up on me now? please help I am really really worried
    it is so long ago, i actually dont know what was discussed that day! i just fulfilled my probabtion period and tried get on with my life

Thank you
    Anne

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

It definitely is standard procedure. Depending on the crime committed, it may or may not be red flagged. For example, being convicted of drunk and disorderly isn't going to concern them unless it affects the bank's security etc... I don't imagine the business will be too concerned about someone stealing penny sweets from a shop well over a decade ago. Your best bet is to be completely honest

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

If you got the probation act here no conviction. Somewhere else, and as you say above 'you completed probation' that indicates some sort of conviction. If so, potentially may be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ann12345

It was committed in ireland, district court. As weird as it may seem, i just put it behind me. I never had to do anything for the probation period - if that makes sense. i think i was just put on probation and never heard anything else about it.
    I am not sure if there is like different types of probation, i pleaded guilty it was over in seconds and i mean seconds, but i was naieve to say the least and never ever asked anything else about it. I dont mean that flippantly, i just never looked back, got into college got a qualifed and never looked back.
    Now i am unsure what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You were given the benefit of the probation act. I doubt you were convicted so.

Advertisement