Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi??

Options
  • 23-10-2009 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Last week in an attempt to download 3.5GB onto my laptop it was going to take a good few hours to completly download (F... That), Then jumped onto the computers with my 16GB pendrive at hand, 4Mins it took to download WTF!!!
    Is it just me or is the wifi in LYIT just a load of ....?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭weiss

i find it hard to believe it only took 4mins to download that much on to a 16gb pen drive ;)

seriously though, the wireless is probably throttling download speeds because of p2p file sharing..or perhaps a decent antenna might increase speed.

but obviously nowhere near same speed as local network connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

The speed you can get on the college wifi varies an incredible amount based on where you are in the building, how many others are online, number of connections to your download host etc. When I first tried downloading something I was getting ~10kbps, and with a different download manager I got ~1mbps.

The wired connection is very fast, to the point that the bottleneck will be the pen drive transfer speed on some drives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Epeen

Actually considering wifi is ****e, the chances of downloading a 4GB file from the network hard lined; since the college probably has a 100mb/s+ connection, 4 mins isnt too unbelievable

As for the throttling, i think if youre found using torrents you get a bit of a spank from IT

Overall though the wireless seems fairly ****e at best. A lot of people just shove a LAN cable into their laptops

http tunnel gogo post results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 PenDriver

weiss wrote: »
    i find it hard to believe it only took 4mins to download that much on to a 16gb pen drive ;)

seriously though, the wireless is probably throttling download speeds because of p2p file sharing..or perhaps a decent antenna might increase speed.

but obviously nowhere near same speed as local network connection.

Yep it downloaded in 4min, When it finished downloading the transfer to the computer to the pen dive took 15mins :Dlol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Are we actually allowed to be using the college internet for personal downloads? Would come in very handy instead of having to wait on this ****ty 3 modem I have for my laptop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I'm not sure what the policy is, but they know who is downloading how much and from where, so I wouldn't get anything dodgey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

the wireless has been absolute rubbish for me.
    its even worse in ballyraine. the wireless down in the apartment's is handled by some company, and its utter cack.

we got our own smart broadband and we share it between 7 of us in 5 different apartment's.
    its exceptionally quick, and worth every penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 PenDriver

its even worse in ballyraine. the wireless down in the apartment's is handled by some company, and its utter cack.

we got our own smart broadband and we share it between 7 of us in 5 different apartment's.

Yep the ballyraine wifi is the worst internet speed i have ever come across, i never had to let youtube buffer before using the ballyraine wifi!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

Yea these guys do the ballyraine broadband http://www.nwewn.com/ .

Lived there for 2years broadband drove you mad at times. So glad to have my 9mb line now.

Advertisement