Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBox Live Update - Preview Program: First Imressions?

• 23-10-2009 8:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

Just wondering if any / many signed up for this and what the initial thoughts were on updating?

In fairness, I installed it this morning just before going to work and didn't have much time to play around with it but I have to say the feature I was looking forward to most Zune Video Marketplace while technically good, and streaming movies is OK, is still a major disappointment as we're stuck with the same crappy content of 200-250 brutal films.

I'll have more of a chance to look through it at the weekend. But Twitter doesn't really interest me, and Facebook is the devil as far as I am concerned :D... Might be curious enough to check out Halo Waypoint for a bit.

What do you all think of it so far?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Didn't know the update was out today. What is Zune anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

tomred1 wrote: »

Microsofts attempt at an iPod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

tomred1 wrote: »
    The Zune is an iPod type thingy from Microsoft (only available in the States since release two or three years ago). The Video Marketplace on the XBox is being rebranded Zune Video Marketplace, and instead of downloading movies it'll stream them to the XBox - no waiting to buffer and all. It's supposed to allow streaming at 1080p.

The Preview program update went live today - the full update will probably be generally available middle of November or so.

Great potential, but scabby amount of content for Ireland. Pity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Installing now , ill report back later.

Edit: Facebook works nicely for what it's worth. Very much in keeping with how the rest of the dash works. Can't say ill ever use it again though lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Anyone with a custom 120gb HD having any problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Have they added MKV support or changed the music player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

No Last.fm for anyone outside of UK or US. That sucks as was looking forward to that.

Facebook is almost useless as you cant access any apps, vids or links.

Twitter is a little more useful but still cant access links.

Had a look at the Zune Marketplace but its something I wouldnt use anyway.

Sky Player arrives next week.

All in all...meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

That's pretty crap. They need to integrate a web browser into the dash somewhere now that would be a good feature.

Facebook and Twitter are almost so useless at the moment it did get me thinking that maybe theres a browser in the works somewhere in the future to allow better use of these features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

I wasnt asked to update

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

greenman09 wrote: »
    I wasnt asked to update

Did you sign up ? It's not being pushed to everyone just those that signed up to the beta thingy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Did you get an email saying you were accepted, or did the xbox just update itself?

It updated itself. Major Nelson said emails werent sent out first as they decided to get the ball rolling on releasing the update. If you go the MS Connect page where you first signed up it will tell you if you are in or not. They are releasing the update in waves over the next few days so just beause you didnt get it today doesnt mean you are not in.

Thanks dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

It wasn't part of the preview, but has anyone else noticed the new Ads on the system (for example, the other day there on the Spotlight / Inside XBox channel there was a video ad for Borderlands, if you highlighted it you go sound, if you clicked it it went fullscreen)?
    First time I'd seen one of them ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

got the update too - I was impressed by how quickly the photos in facebook load up etc, that was kinda cool. However bit annoying when people post youtube links and you obviously can't watch them.

It wasn't part of the preview, but has anyone else noticed the new Ads on the system (for example, the other day there on the Spotlight / Inside XBox channel there was a video ad for Borderlands, if you highlighted it you go sound, if you clicked it it went fullscreen)?

I thought that was pretty cool. Was half expecting all the videos to be like that.

On my profile on Connect it says participating. So with a bit of luck it'll update when I turn on after work :D

Yeah saw that...pretty cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Does the 1080p streaming actually work? post your download speed if it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'm a Last.fm subscriber, do I get Last.fm then?

• Advertisement

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Went to the Microsoft Connect website and signed in. In the "My dashboard" section it says
    Xbox Live Update Preview | Status: Participating (quit?)

Does this mean that I'm in the preview program?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

So this is an optional update is it? It wont be forced on me will it? The reason I'm asking is because I can't apply updates due to my restricted internet access

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

bucks73 wrote: »
    No.
    Now that's annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

animaX wrote: »
    So this is an optional update is it? It wont be forced on me will it? The reason I'm asking is because I can't apply updates due to my restricted internet access

If you signed up to the preview then it will be forced on you. You will not be able to sign back into live untill the update is applied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

bucks73 wrote: »
    No Last.fm for anyone outside of UK or US. That sucks as was looking forward to that.
    Agreed
    Facebook is almost useless as you cant access any apps, vids or links.
    dont use facebook myself
    Twitter is a little more useful but still cant access links.
    or twitter
    Had a look at the Zune Marketplace but its something I wouldnt use anyway.
    me neither
    Sky Player arrives next week.
    not a sky subscriber so wont be using that either
    All in all...meh.
    very meh indeed

I like it.

That is all. :D

AdMMM wrote: »
    Now that's annoying!

Tell me about it. Last.fm as probably the app I was most looking forward to and now we cant get it.

I vented my anger on the preview program forums in a constructive way and sent the link to Major Nelson. It will probably be ignored but theres no harm in letting them know how we feel and I would definitely encourage others to do the same. If youre not happy you might as well let them know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Ive the preview thing aswell and am not impressed at all. Cant test any films unless you pay for them so thats pointless. Dont like facebook/dont like Twitter.

Hopefully Sky thing will be good...but still not sure if you have a sky sub and xbox live sub do you get it free or is it extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just had a look through the Preview Program. I use Facebook so that was ok I suppose. Bit time consuming to write messages if you don't have the little keyboard thing to attach to your controller.

Don't use Twitter and sucks that you have to pay for Zune content. Even a 10 minute preview of something would've been ok to judge as to whether or not it will be good or not.

With the Sky player coming on Tuesday I'll have no need to pay for Zune content.

All in all meh. Facebook is the only thing I'll probably use tbh but even then it won't be all that much I'd say as I've a perfectly good laptop which sits beside my 360 and works better than the XBL version of Facebook.

Advertisement