Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

apartment pump comes on every 5 minutes

• 23-10-2009 9:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭

Apartment pump (stuart turner monsoon) comes on around every 5 minutes.

It's a newish apartment (3 years). There doesn't seem to be a leak.

Modern Plant, who supply these think it's either a leak or a problem with the non-return valve. If it's the non-return valve, it's an expensive job to get replaced (MP appear to have increased their call out charge by 50 percent).

This is the forth major problem with this pump. It's already gone through two blown PCB's and needing a replacement capacitor. So I am beginning to wonder whether these pumps are any use at all and if I should be cutting my losses.

Antoin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Had a problem with mine too & it turned out that a washer had gone on one of the taps upstairs...very very slow leak of water from the tap & every 5 mins or so, just enough drained to make the pump fire.

Check all of your taps are turned off (shower taps are the worst) & make sure you've no leaking or dripping taps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Thanks for the tip. How did you find the problem tap in the end? I suppose I could wrap the taps with tissue paper or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Brilliant pump first of all. Its most likely a like. There is a couple of ways to tast it and there is a couple of things i need to know.

Do you have a washer dryer combined. Dryers actually draw water in an cause the pump to trip on.

Look into your toilet bowl straight down. Imagine its a face of a clock. You have the 12 had up the cistern end and the 6 hand down at your feet. Look at 12 and 6 carefully in the evening with a light on and see if you can see a trickle of water flowing down. Its usually very slight. You would notice it if you did not watch carefully.

Lastly check your shower head in the bathroom makeing sure it is shut off correctly. Sounds obvious but is rearly.

I will look deep into the toilet bowl as you suggest.

Yes, we have a washer-dryer. Would it be drawing whilst it isn't running? I'm not sure whether it's plumbed to the mains or to the pumped supply but will check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Stuart tuner pumps were taken over by Grunfos. If its under the 3 year you can get it repaired FOC....Get the serial and model number on top...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

it there a small metal tank on top of the pump, with a tire valve on top?

Yes! Or at least it has some sort of valve on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Yes! Or at least it has some sort of valve on top.

It needs presure. As far as I remember. It acts like a ballast tank to stop the pump hunting(coming on and off at small pressure changes).

pump it a few times with a cycle pump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I will look deep into the toilet bowl as you suggest.

Yes, we have a washer-dryer. Would it be drawing whilst it isn't running? I'm not sure whether it's plumbed to the mains or to the pumped supply but will check.

Can you temp disconnect the washer dryer over night and see if it stops. If it does this is the answer. PS you only need to disconnect the hot and cold supples, the red and ble pipe and chose the valves first of course.

PS: To disconnect the washer dryer all you need to do is turn the taps on the hose you dont actually need to disconnect the hose. Sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have A Stuart Turner and this occurs from time to time and is always an indicator of a dripping tap or a slight leak. If you are in a hard water area, you can get a buildup of limescale on the inlet valve of toilet cisterns so eventually they start to leak very slowly and so the cistern overfills and a trickle flows in to the toilet bowl via the overflow.

This sort of leak can be very difficult to spot.

We have a bath tap that requires a lot of force to close off completely and so often will drip slightly, then the pump will come on briefly every so often..

I am fairly certain you have a leak somewhere.

• Advertisement

Right! I gave it a few strokes with the bicycle pump and that seems to have sorted it out. (It mentions this in the Stuart Turner documentation if you dig through it.)

I am a bit upset that modern plant tried to sell me a 130 euro engineer visit to fix this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 big_ron

Howya Folks,

Having trouble with a Stuart Turner ST55, its' cutting in as normal after a tap/toilet flush or shower, but then it continues to cut in and out for short periods (couple of seconds each time) for some time after. Is driving the person in the bedroom beside the hot press crazy. Have gotten some great tips from this thread and others on b.ie, will try all the suggestions tonight. At this stage, I'm suspecting the ball cock in the attic is a bit faulty, and the water is dribbling for a while instead of a clean open/close, so just enough water flowing to kick the pump in and out every few seconds. I'll try to adjust the ball cock first to see if this helps.

Will post results.

/BR

Advertisement